Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living In Surfer's, commuting to Brisbane?

Living In Surfer's, commuting to Brisbane?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

daryllee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living In Surfer's, commuting to Brisbane?

Hello Everyone

I am an Australian who is living in London with wife and seven yr old girl.
Wish to relocate to live near the beach in Surfer's and would like advice for say area to live (close to beach) and to cycle to railway station to Brisbane for the day...would wish to buy a nice house, something we can't afford here in the UK.
Any word up on experience of living there and schools to go for would be brilliant for me (or) websites to check out.

My appreciation: Daryl Lee
(yeah, I know the name...hence why I left Oz along time back)
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living In Surfer's, commuting to Brisbane?

I think the train station is at Robina.

Houses arent that cheap on the gold coast but I suppose it depends where you live in the uk.

Gold Coast to brisbane is very commutable, but takes a bit out of the day.

good luck!
Viv
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine you want to live in Surfers, especially with a young child. At the moment the end of the rail line is Varsity Lakes. Depending on how long you want to drive before even getting to the nearest station, then the likes of Burleigh Waters, Mermaid or even Robina would get you to the beach inside 15 minutes and ditto to a station. However, if I were having to commute up to Brissie I wouldn't want to be any lower than say, Nerang (not close to the ocean) but then you're moving slightly further inland.

The closeness of the ocean will bump up house prices considerably although all the coast is quite expensive these days. However, as I, or anyone else, don't either know or need to know what you consider reasonable, it's hard to say what's expensive and what isn't. You're idea could be way different to mine

Your best bet would be to check out realestate.com.au whilst having Google Earth open on the GC. You'll still obviously only get a basic idea, but it's as good a place to start as any.

Good luck.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:38 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The railway runs between 7 to 10 km inland from the coast, with stations at Varsity Lakes, Nerang, Robina and Helensvale. Central to Helensvale is $7.40 each way (Peak) and Central to Varsity Lakes is $9.70 - that's using a Go Card. A paper ticket (which will soon be unobtainable anyway) is $10.80 and $14.10.

I don't know how much parking space is available at the stations, but if you have a job in the CBD that requires you to start at 9am and leave at 5pm, you will probably find the journey a real pain. It's 65minutes to Helensvale and 81 minutes to Varsity Lakes.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:01 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

living in surfers and commuting to brisbane isn't feasible, unless perhaps you are only commuting 2 or 3 days a week, then working from home.

The commute is too long, and surfers isn't a good place for a young child, in my opinion.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I did the commute by car from Surfers (Mermaid Waters among others) to Brisbane (Eagle St and Milton) for 3 years in the 90's (in an old Valiant - happy days). Then I sold the Valiant and bought a ford which promptly broke down, while it was getting fixed for a few weeks I commuted by coach which used to go central GC - Brisbane rail.

Back then it was an hours drive each way and traffic not too bad, but may well have changed in the intervening 15 years!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I'm working at Robina Hospital (next to the rail station) at the moment & space in the station car park is scarce! Hospital staff park in there at the moment.....I believe the hospital expansion includes a car park, so that may ease.

I have been commuting from Ipswich to Robina....so going against the flow of traffic.....I would say you do not want to commute by road....the traffic heading to town does not move!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I had a colleague living on the GC and commuting into Brisbane every morning. He was up at 4am and on the road by 5am to beat the traffic. He recently quit and got a job in Southport, and is now sane again.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I would not commute on the Gold Coast highway. I got stuck on it for four hours recently on a public holiday friday. Foolish, but I hear there are regularly long tailbacks.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Thats the beauty of going the opposite way to everyone else lol.....

Starting a job in Ipswich soon, so get an extra 1.5hrs in bed!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Starting a job in Ipswich soon, so get an extra 1.5hrs in bed!
Yes, but then you have to work in Ipswich!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Second all of the comments above ... I used to commute from Mount Tamborine to Brisbane (considerably less distance than Surfers to Brisbane) and I'm looking to work closer to home.

Life is just too chuffing short to spend 3 to 4 hours a day commuting.

Then again I ain't a beach person ... leafy hinterland is the go for me
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Yes, but then you have to work in Ipswich!
True.....but after Southport, Ipswich ain't so bad
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Second all of the comments above ... I used to commute from Mount Tamborine to Brisbane (considerably less distance than Surfers to Brisbane) and I'm looking to work closer to home.

Then again I ain't a beach person ... leafy hinterland is the go for me
Something we agree on, that's a beautiful spot. If I'm still knocking around SEQ in 10 years time I reckon I'll be in GC or SC hinterland.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim
So loking forward to getting home at a decent time & enjoying the yard & doing "stuff"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.