Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all
Default Re: Living on the Sunshine Coast but work in Brisbane...

We live in Beerwah and I used to commute by train to South Brisbane for over a year before I changed offices to Birtinya. I didnt mind the train theres plenty of seats this far up the line and I miss all the reading I was able to do.

However on the return trip I used to catch the 6pm due to the sheer congestion in the stations in Brisbane after 5pm. If I caught the 5:15 I often had to stand for an hour because I refuse to rudely push and shove people to grab a seat....So 6am get on the train 7:20pm get off the train which makes for a long day.

My friend in Beerwah bought a motorbike about a year ago and works south side and gets home around 6pm but hes been knocked off once and his bar shattered a wing mirror another time, both from cars changing lanes on the motorway and not see'ing him....Hes also on occation had to wait out storms under motorway bridges. All that said he still loves to ride to work.

Do what I did, work in Brisbane until something comes along on the coast.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Again, thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

Please keep it coming. You can never have too much information.

Have I missed something? What rail line are we talking about please Mike?
The Nambour / Gympie Line, that's the green one to the North.

http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/1...ink-queensland
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
The Nambour / Gympie Line, that's the green one to the North.

http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/1...ink-queensland

Oh right, cheers Mike.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

We do it daily from Sanctuary Cove on the Northern Gold Coast, about an hour each way but I wouldn't want to go any further, this is driving, add 20 mins each way for the train (and the trains don't necessarily start/stop from where you want to be).
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Again, thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

Please keep it coming. You can never have too much information.
Another popular option is to drive to Caboolture and take the train from there as the train service is more frequent than travelling from Nambour. Also it means you miss the worst of the traffic. This option takes just over 2 hours from the northern end of the coast, but would be significantly less if you were starting from the southern end.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
If I caught the 5:15 I often had to stand for an hour because I refuse to rudely push and shove people to grab a seat....So 6am get on the train 7:20pm get off the train which makes for a long day.
Hi

Bad manners are a real pet hate of mine, this happens in London allll the time! People are just so bloody rude, especially in the cities. I've stood up many a time on the tube, for a pregnant woman or an old person while men refuse to give up their seats.
Yeah that sounds like a long day, I bet by the time you got home, had tea etc it was nearly time for bed, that's no life is it.

My friend in Beerwah bought a motorbike about a year ago and works south side and gets home around 6pm but hes been knocked off once and his bar shattered a wing mirror another time, both from cars changing lanes on the motorway and not see'ing him....Hes also on occation had to wait out storms under motorway bridges. All that said he still loves to ride to work.

Do what I did, work in Brisbane until something comes along on the coast.
Yeah Husband gets around London on his motorbike, he loves it, but he said he's nearly been knocked off a few times.

I think it will have to be a city he works in, as his line of work only really goes on in cities. He's a concrete sprayer, robot operator. So there isn't much call for his skills outside of the concrete jungle. He has been looking for work online and there's plenty of work for him in all the major cities, so that's good news at least.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm taking it all in!

Cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm taking it all in!

Cheers
Are your teenage sons the type to want to live permanently away from the city do you think or might they change their mind when the going out stage starts ?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Are your teenage sons the type to want to live permanently away from the city do you think or might they change their mind when the going out stage starts ?

Hi fish

I think because they have always lived in the country, a big town will seem like a city to them and they will probably be overwhelmed by the choice of things to do. So I don't suppose it matters either way.

I've been thinking a lot about the move lately and it's actually making me feel a little nervous of late. I've known for years we were going to give it a shot but now I know it's going to be this year that we take the plunge, reality is kicking in hard and fast.
I think it's more of a worry too when you are taking teens. Teenagers are hard work at the best of times. I think dragging them across the globe to a whole different lifestyle, country and people is going to be, erm, interesting.

Having said that, I have a rough idea of what lies ahead ...................I think.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

We are from a village of 130 people and we moved to Brisbane. We live in the western suburbs of Brisbane and it is very much like what we are used to. My husband also lived away during the week in the UK and now is home every night by 6.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fish

I think because they have always lived in the country, a big town will seem like a city to them and they will probably be overwhelmed by the choice of things to do. So I don't suppose it matters either way.

I've been thinking a lot about the move lately and it's actually making me feel a little nervous of late. I've known for years we were going to give it a shot but now I know it's going to be this year that we take the plunge, reality is kicking in hard and fast.
I think it's more of a worry too when you are taking teens. Teenagers are hard work at the best of times. I think dragging them across the globe to a whole different lifestyle, country and people is going to be, erm, interesting.

Having said that, I have a rough idea of what lies ahead ...................I think.
As PunkDebutante said you might be able to have a suitable, non overwhelming experience in one of the quieter suburbs of Brisbane without being so far away from jobs, universities etc. Some of the places on Brisbane's outskirts are next to mountains, rainforest, lakes, small towns etc. Really depends if your sons desperately want to live near a beach or whether mountain biking, horse riding, sailing, hiking, team sport, occasional city thing etc could be a viable substitute for them.

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 24th 2014 at 11:38 am.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
We are from a village of 130 people and we moved to Brisbane. We live in the western suburbs of Brisbane and it is very much like what we are used to. My husband also lived away during the week in the UK and now is home every night by 6.
Hi Punk

Oh right, it sounds like you are enjoying it then? I bet its nice having your husband home everyday. Does your husband work in the city? And do you have children, I just wondered if they are liking it there?

Can I also ask how long you have been there?

Sorry for all the questions.

Molly
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

As PunkDebutante said you might be able to have a suitable, non overwhelming experience in one of the quieter suburbs of Brisbane without being so far away from jobs, universities etc. Some of the places on Brisbane's outskirts are next to mountains, rainforest, lakes, small towns etc. Really depends if your sons desperately want to live near a beach or whether mountain biking, horse riding, sailing, hiking, team sport, occasional city thing etc could be a viable substitute for them.
Yeah, it sounds like there is a few options over there. I have some thinking to do.
After all this help on here the husband will probably end up getting a job in Sydney.

Thanks fish.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Hi Punk

Oh right, it sounds like you are enjoying it then? I bet its nice having your husband home everyday. Does your husband work in the city? And do you have children, I just wondered if they are liking it there?

Can I also ask how long you have been there?

Sorry for all the questions.

Molly
Molly,

My husband either works in the City or Toowong based on what the client needs that day. We have 3 daughters (16 and 7 year old twins). We have been here for 2 1/2 years now. The girls absolutely love it here. They enjoy their sport and being outside. My eldest also has a part time job and has allowed her to meet kids other than the ones she goes to school with. They never want to return to the UK.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine coast has its own University, and Tafe colleges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.