Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in the "real" Australia.

Living in the "real" Australia.

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in the "real" Australia.

Have posted some of these before in the Nundle thread, but thought some people may not have seen them & may be interested in them (plus Im stuck at home with no car & am bored with housework!).

For those that complain about the rain, this is what its like when it doesnt rain :scared: .
Attached Thumbnails Living in the "real" Australia.-mustering.jpg   Living in the "real" Australia.-dry.jpg  

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Sep 22nd 2005 at 2:28 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:26 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the "real" Australia.

Shearing shed at shearing time
Attached Thumbnails Living in the "real" Australia.-shearing.jpg   Living in the "real" Australia.-sshed.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Working in the yards in 40+ degree heat all day, every day
Attached Thumbnails Living in the "real" Australia.-race.jpg   Living in the "real" Australia.-sheep.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:31 am
Rocket Scientist

As far as the eye can see .........
Attached Thumbnails Living in the "real" Australia.-paddock.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Here's the bore pump ADL, not pumping much water though
Attached Thumbnails Living in the "real" Australia.-mill.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:41 am
Rocket Scientist

And lastly, the first picture is the front driveway (yes that dirt track is the main road!).

Next picture is the dam where the water for our house came from. That picture is taken when it's about half full - not so nice when it's almost empty & theres nothing but some very muddy brown water at the bottom which is full of dead sheep rotting in the water & you still have to use it :scared: .

I really must find those pictures of the floods as well, just to make ADL happy .
Attached Thumbnails Living in the "real" Australia.-dway.jpg   Living in the "real" Australia.-dam.jpg  

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Sep 22nd 2005 at 2:44 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
As far as the eye can see .........

I've been too scared to mention the dry , dust and lack of rain ! Don't want to be a whinger ! BUT , I have NEVER nursed so many children with bad chests and croup due to the dry , dusty humid air around here.I was shocked (naive I know) to find out how bad the drought is in some areas of Oz.When they put pictures in the paper of 3 year old kids who had never seen rain before that kinda brought it home.But , I can honestly say , nobody around here seems too bothered ! We have tried really hard to conserve water and our water bill is almost half of what the tenants before us used this time last year ! I am still surprised to see people out WATERING their gardens ! Do they really not see the big picture ? Anyway, enough for just now and No , I don't live in rural Oz , just a suburb of Sydney .
All the best to you Mrs D.
Tass.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

This is a picture of Mundaring Weir overflowing in 1996.

It's a huge dam in the hills near Perth, about 40 min's drive from where I live.
I'd love to see it overflowing, but they reckon it'll never happen again.

Even with all the rain we've had this winter, it's now only about 30% full because successive years of very dry summers.

For any Perth newbies who haven't been up there yet, it's a really good day out.
The Mundaring Weir Hotel is next to it. If you want to have a beer in a, "real" Aussie pub then look no further!

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were talking about living in Queensland lol

I must admit I love the rain and was made up when we had a downpour the other night. I am looking forward to my first proper Aussie storm.

Katie
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:01 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Have posted some of these before in the Nundle thread, but thought some people may not have seen them & may be interested in them (plus Im stuck at home with no car & am bored with housework!).

For those that complain about the rain, this is what its like when it doesnt rain :scared: .

Now this is what inspired me to come to Australia after watching the Thornbirds back in the 80s!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Katie - well if it helps any, those pics were taken in Qld, just not a part of Qld that most people (including aussies!) have ever been . 100 miles west of Cunnamulla if anyone wants to look it up.

NKSK - quality aussie drama

Scossie - though you were gonna tell me that was one of your swimming pools :scared: . Looks spectacular!

Tass - we go onto stage 2 water restrictions next week, the next stage (which wont be long coming at the rate we are going) means watering by bucket only .
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

and how much of OZ is now affected :scared: thats bloody scary.

http://www.gesource.ac.uk/worldguide...mage_2277.html
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:38 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MrsDagboy]Katie - well if it helps any, those pics were taken in Qld, just not a part of Qld that most people (including aussies!) have ever been . 100 miles west of Cunnamulla if anyone wants to look it up.

just checked out Cunnamulla i see what you mean

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/94500.html
5-Day Forecast for Cunnamulla Post Office
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday

86 ° | 55 °
87 ° | 62 °
87 ° | 66 °
86 ° | 71 °

is this normal or freak weather ?

more info on
http://www.walkabout.com.au/fairfax/...nnamulla.shtml
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:43 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=steve`o]
Katie - well if it helps any, those pics were taken in Qld, just not a part of Qld that most people (including aussies!) have ever been . 100 miles west of Cunnamulla if anyone wants to look it up.

just checked out Cunnamulla i see what you mean

86 ° | 55 °
87 ° | 62 °
87 ° | 66 °
86 ° | 71 °

more info on
http://www.walkabout.com.au/fairfax/...nnamulla.shtml

ah, Cully....always quite liked the place myself. and the famous doco was on National Geographic the other night. Brought back a few memories.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steve`o]just checked out Cunnamulla i see what you mean

86 ° | 55 °
87 ° | 62 °
87 ° | 66 °
86 ° | 71 °

QUOTE}

very mild weather check it out in february, phew :scared:

http://www-cluster.bom.gov.au/climat...8.200502.shtml

43's about 110

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 22nd 2005 at 4:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.