Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Oz - Basic Living Costs ~v~ UK

Living in Oz - Basic Living Costs ~v~ UK

Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:22 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Cool Living in Oz - Basic Living Costs ~v~ UK

Hello Peeps,

Ive read many interesting posts about the cost of living in Oz from this forum but still can’t get a true picture of whether I will be better or worse off living over there??

I can get an idea of wages/tax/rent/food/medical costs from previous posts but are there any hidden costs or anything missing from my list below? Could some kind soul(s) put the picture straight and compare these costs so I can work out a realistic amount of money I might have left over each month on the pittance of a nurse’s salary in Oz?

Car: 1.8 family Hatchback £450 insurance, £170 tax + £40 MOT = £660 p/a ($1,650)
Petrol: Local Tesco garage 96.9p/l ($2.42)
Housing: Rent on tiny 2 bed semi £3,650 p/a ($9,100)
Council Tax : £1055 p/a ($2,637)
Water Rates: 56 cubic meters = £147 p/a ($367)
Electric: 9.76p p/kWh = £350 p/a ($875)
Gas: 34.33p p/kWh = £300 p/a ($750)
Telephone: ? per call but I hardly use it and pay £240 p/a ($600)
Mobile: 500 mins & 200 txts £360 p/a ($900)
Broadband: Unlimited downloads £215 p/a ($537)

So, in the UK I need £7,000 a year just to live ‘comfortably’ and own a car. The question then is, will I need more or less than $17,500 to live in a similar manner downunder?

I would be quite happy driving around in an old banger, living in a rented house, eating stolen mangoes and never buying bananas or cucumbers ever again, living miles from the beach, buying second hand furniture, shopping in Big W, Target and local markets forevermore; (a lot like I do in UK now – except the mango bit), but if I couldn’t afford the above list of basic essentials…………………………………� ��.then I'm not coming.

Ta in advance,
Diane
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:55 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Oz - Basic Living Costs ~v~ UK

Heres a thread I posted a while ago which might help:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379484

Hubby earns $42k plus overtime taking him to around $60k and its quite tight I have to admit. We usually give each other around $100 spending money per week too (just to give you an idea), which isnt a lot at all.

HTH
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej
Hello Peeps,

Ive read many interesting posts about the cost of living in Oz from this forum but still can’t get a true picture of whether I will be better or worse off living over there??

I can get an idea of wages/tax/rent/food/medical costs from previous posts but are there any hidden costs or anything missing from my list below? Could some kind soul(s) put the picture straight and compare these costs so I can work out a realistic amount of money I might have left over each month on the pittance of a nurse’s salary in Oz?

Car: 1.8 family Hatchback £450 insurance, £170 tax + £40 MOT = £660 p/a ($1,650)

So, in the UK I need £7,000 a year just to live ‘comfortably’ and own a car. The question then is, will I need more or less than $17,500 to live in a similar manner downunder?

I would be quite happy driving around in an old banger, living in a rented house, eating stolen mangoes and never buying bananas or cucumbers ever again, living miles from the beach, buying second hand furniture, shopping in Big W, Target and local markets forevermore; (a lot like I do in UK now – except the mango bit), but if I couldn’t afford the above list of basic essentials…………………………………� ��.then I'm not coming.

Ta in advance,
Diane
I can help with some of those costs. I'm in Sydney.

I drive a standard size hatchback (Subaru Impreza) and for the year:
Insurance = $650
Rego = $249
CTP = $335
So Car total = $1234 pa

Petrol is currently around $1.30 a litre

Housing - not many tiny 2-bedroom semis around here (eastern suburbs beaches so not a cheap area at all) but the rent on an average 2-bedroom flat would be $300 a week or $15,600 pa.

Council tax we don't have, and you don't pay rates when you're renting.

Water costs us (4-person family) around $800 pa but you might not pay that if you're renting either.

Electricity costs us 4.4939c - 12.3298c per kWh. It's a complicated variable rate depending on whether what's been used off-peak or not.

We don't have gas.

Phone rental with Optus is $26 a month (or $312 pa) and local calls are 20c.

I hardly ever use my mobile and my Optus monthly plan only costs me $11. I started it years ago and have stuck with it. Don't think you can get $11 a month plans anymore!

We have Optus broadband and pay $70 a month. I believe you can get cheaper but ours is bundled with our phones and we get three free months each year so it actually costs us $630 pa.

Comparing these costs with yours, looks like most things cost less here. The housing costs are a big one but this area is not typical for the whole country.

Where are you planning on moving to?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:45 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Car: 4l 4wd = $80 a week on diesel, $450 p/a insurance, circa $500 rego
Housing: Rent around here is about $150 p/w for a small 3 bed house.
Council Tax : n/a for rentors
Water Rates: $66 a qtr i think (cant remember)
Electric: We pay about $220 a qtr
Gas: We use bottled gas, $100 per refil, lasts about 3 months.
Telephone: About $90 a qtr
Mobile: $45 p/m
Broadband: $48 pm for 20gb download

My wife and i pay about $100 a week on food etc.

My costs (roughly), living in rural aus.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

PegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dianej
Hello Peeps,

Ta in advance,
Diane

Hi Diane

Where are you planning on living? we are on the sunshine coast and we are worse off - by a lot!! everything seems cheaper when you first arrive, but when you realise how poor the salaries are everything becomes much more expensive compared to the UK. For example, my husband's first job paid him the same in dollars as he was getting in pounds :scared:

However, I think salaries are better if you are heading to one of the cities....but then you don't get the 'lifestyle'...
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:46 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Living in Oz - Basic Living Costs ~v~ UK

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies - I get the picture now. Im off to Melbourne next year (well so far!) Currently earning $54,000 working for NHS but will end up on about $42,000 over there as a nurse. Just making sure I dont put my great big foot in it and end up looking in bins for me tea!

Thanks again,

Diane.