British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Living in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/living-nz-105823/)

garrisondamn Nov 25th 2001 7:16 pm

Living in NZ

Can anyone tell me what living in NZ is like, after living in the UK?
Where's the best place to live, what's nice & what isn't!
We are thinking of maybe settling somewhere in Hawkes Bay, anyone live or been there.
I'm not much into Cities so living in a city is out!
Thanks.
:p

Johnny Boy Nov 26th 2001 9:55 am

The Hawkes Bay is nice and has a very pleasant climate and gentle pace. Napier and
Havelock North are the best spots. I don't like Hastings at all.

A lot of British migrants come to NZ saying they are not interested in cities, move
to a provincial area and after 6 months find the quietness driving them crazy!!!

As far as cities go, avoid the Auckland sprawl. Wellington is great. Very
cosmopolitan, very compact and very beautiful - when the wind doesn't blow. (And
oh, no matter what you hear the wind blows in Auckland too - though maybe not
quite as much).

HTH, John

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

garrisondamn Nov 26th 2001 6:09 pm

Hey, thanks John, we're used to living in rural areas anyway, so that doesn't bother us at all, we'd heard that Napier was nice, what about Gisborne, I know it isn't in Hawkes Bay, but that looks nice as well, we're looking for somewhere warm as well!!!

Johnny Boy Nov 27th 2001 9:06 am

Gisborne is a great spot for a summer vacation with good weather and some of the best
surfing beaches in the country, but it is very remote and I think (without wanting to
sound like a snob) the socio-economic future of Gisborne would not be as assured as
say Napier,

HTH, John

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ashley Watson Nov 28th 2001 5:47 pm

Hi

Im a Scot who lived in NZ for 12 years, Wellington & Auckland. I left NZ for both
economic and personal reasons. I now live in Quebec.

NZ is probaly the most 'British' of the Commonwealth countries that people immigrate
to. After that comes Australia, then English Canada. Despite that it is still a very
unique country with its own definable culture. Culturally though it still has alot
more growing and evolving to go, before NZ'ers will feel truly comfortable with
themselves.

All the places mentioned in this thread are nice, Hawkes Bay, Gisborne, etc. However,
alot will depend on what your intended occupation will be in NZ. If you want to avoid
the cities, but have a reasonable chance of finding a job then you might want to
consider the Bay of Plenty (I used to go there alot with my work and also had friends
there). However I found that the traffic was beginning to get a bit knarly in parts
of Tauranga before I left. But you can live outside Tauranga and still get to work in
a reasonbale time.

If you wish to know more please feel free to contact me personally.

Ashley Watson

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

garrisondamn Nov 29th 2001 12:09 am

Thanks for the info Ashley, can you give me an email address so that I can contact you.
Thanks.

Ashley Watson Nov 29th 2001 2:24 pm

You can contact me at [email protected]

Take out the line remove. Its there to avoid spammers.

Regards

Ashley