Living in Melbourne

Wikiposts

Living in Melbourne

Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

grandyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Melbourne

Hi,

My Wife and I are emigrating in July to Melbourne, we have looked on the internet for places to live but it is hard to judge where is best. We like to look of St Kilda but have read mixed reports regarding the area, if anyone could provide any info recommending suburbs which are good to rent/buy property and settle in we would be very grateful.

Grandyuk
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:14 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Melbourne

Originally Posted by grandyuk
Hi,

My Wife and I are emigrating in July to Melbourne, we have looked on the internet for places to live but it is hard to judge where is best. We like to look of St Kilda but have read mixed reports regarding the area, if anyone could provide any info recommending suburbs which are good to rent/buy property and settle in we would be very grateful.

Grandyuk
First of all welcome to BE.

We are heading that way end of July ourselves.

A few hints might help

Where are you going to be working ?

do you want a beach close ?

Do you want to live more outside the hustle and bustle of the city, or do you prefer that ?

what is your budget ?

Last edited by furkew; Apr 16th 2007 at 10:20 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furkew
First of all welcome to BE.

We are heading that way end of July ourselves.

A few hints might help

Where are you going to be working ?

do you want a beach close ?

Do you want to live more outside the hustle and bustle of the city, or do you prefer that ?

what is your budget ?
Hi Furkew, Thanks for the reply

My job will mean that i am based close to Melbourne City Centre, but working all around the surrounding area. We would both prefer to live near to the beach and within 20/30 minutes of the city. We are looking at houses for about $250,000.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:54 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

My job will mean that i am based close to Melbourne City Centre, but working all around the surrounding area. We would both prefer to live near to the beach and within 20/30 minutes of the city. We are looking at houses for about $250,000.
Do you have kids ?

Have you looked on www.realestate.com for a quide ?

Here is a search of the bayside area from 250-300K

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...size=&p=30&o=d

As for the beter areas, i'm not so sure myself, but there are a few out there that have done more research in this area (we area headed further out of town ourselves)

Also the expats in Vic will be up soon, and i'm sure they will give you some good pointers.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furkew
Do you have kids ?

Have you looked on www.realestate.com for a quide ?

Here is a search of the bayside area from 250-300K

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...size=&p=30&o=d

As for the beter areas, i'm not so sure myself, but there are a few out there that have done more research in this area (we area headed further out of town ourselves)

Also the expats in Vic will be up soon, and i'm sure they will give you some good pointers.
Thanks

no we don;y have any kids, I've looked on Realestate.com but i wasn't sure what the areas are like.

Cheers for your help. hope everything goes well for you.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

layla950 will become famous soon enoughlayla950 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Same question. Just at the start of the visa process but allready started the research on where to live. We have been looking at Mornington , Frankston and surrounding areas. All looks lovely and prices look reasonable. Jobs will more than likely be in the city so maybe a bit far out? If anyone has any info on that area, would be great.

Lesley
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I would be surprised if you could get a house for that price that close to the city and beach. In my experience you would be looking at Chelsea Heights/Carrum/Seaford (these are 40-45 mins out of the city). However, if you were happy with a small unit or apartment you may get something closer.
Good luck! Let me know if you need info on these areas.
BTW, if you can stretch a little further financially, Mordiallac is very nice (still about 35 mins out though).
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:39 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Try asking question on Britvics and you may get some more answers.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Suffolk to Melbourne to Suffolk and back to Melbourne again!
cooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nice

Hi, we have been here in the Melbourne area for a year, recommend you stick to the Eastern Suburbs, if you are considering St Kilda, consider further down the coast and the Mornington Peninsula. Think if you want a brick or weatherboard home, we recommend brick or brick veener, it does get cold here! We started in the beautiful Dandenong Ranges, 1920's weatherboard complete with 2 acres of natual bush and rainforest, possums, parrots, wallabies etc. how idyllic, not..... blooody freezing, the Aussies have yet to grasp the concept of double glazing and radiators! Do not be fooled by these picturesque homes! Be careful on price because it is not as cheap as people think, please rent do not buy, take your time to have a really good look, avoid Noble Park and Dandenong. We cannot stress enough how different the building standards are here as in not to UK standards and poor old Melbourne does not have Gold Coast climate! Recommend the following agents for rentals Stockdale & Leggo. Good Luck!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

$250K budget, Melbourne average price about $375-$385K. Quite simply, you won't get anything for $250K near the beach and under 20 or 30 mins from CBD. You either need - a bigger budget, be prepared to live a long way from the CBD, live inland or live in the outer western suburbs. I could recommend Williamstown which ticks every box except your budget. As said, check out BritVics for more/better information.

OzTennis
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Crow
I would be surprised if you could get a house for that price that close to the city and beach. In my experience you would be looking at Chelsea Heights/Carrum/Seaford (these are 40-45 mins out of the city). However, if you were happy with a small unit or apartment you may get something closer.
Good luck! Let me know if you need info on these areas.
BTW, if you can stretch a little further financially, Mordiallac is very nice (still about 35 mins out though).
Thanks for all the info, We will have to look at all these areas. If $375-385K is the average then we should still be abel to afford a house. I think that we will rent for 6 months and have a good look around, but you hvae definatlely given us some places to shortlist and lots of stuff to consider.

Thank you all

Alan