British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Living in Logan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/living-logan-497206/)

fa kin su pa Nov 30th 2007 10:17 pm

Living in Logan

I have been looking at house prices and they seem very good around the Logan area for example 4 bed $350 - $400. This appears cheaper than other areas. Why? and what is it like to live there with a family? What are schools like? and which areas are best to bring a family up? any information will be really great thanks:thumbsup:

Timber Floor Au Nov 30th 2007 10:22 pm

Re: Living in Logan

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa (Post 5619638)
I have been looking at house prices and they seem very good around the Logan area for example 4 bed $350 - $400. This appears cheaper than other areas. Why? and what is it like to live there with a family? What are schools like? and which areas are best to bring a family up? any information will be really great thanks:thumbsup:

gday mate

I work in Logan area, have done for a few yrs...

Logan is kinda split into diff parts..

basically anything closer to the bruce hway, is better than anything closer to Marsden.

Older style homes, a lot of weatherboard homes, lowsets, and hardiplank homes.. Some newer houses also.

Very good area, not sure on schools, but proximity to everywhere is A1.

I personally wouldnt live there :)

Take a look at Shailer Park, Runcorn, Rochedale, or if you dont give a crap about commute.. and want more countryside.. logan village ( miles n miles away from Loganholme etc )

jad n rich Dec 1st 2007 4:49 am

Logan had/has a very bad reputation, was a very cheap housing area, lots of housing commission homes etc. Shopping centre was reputed to have one car an hour stolen a couple of years back. Imagine the reputation sort of stuck but probably with the way house prices have risen in SEQ its now more First home buyers than bogons. Def a hoon area too, but then so is Mooloolaba and thats got houses about 10 times the price of logan. Some of the southside suburbs round that way have a bit of bad press too as they are suburbs the gov places immigrants, probably more racist than justified.

Amazed houses there are around the 400 now, shows how much its gone up, BIL had a rental home there about 5 years ago, it cost him $78,000.

gotahavit Dec 1st 2007 6:52 am

hi mate, used to work around logan area kind of place where i was glad to get home , home being upper coomera. there are still houses avaliable here for around 400k but few and far between .much better chance here though of building equity quickly prices are climbing daily.
best of luck with your house hunting

The S's Dec 1st 2007 7:31 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 5620346)
Logan had/has a very bad reputation, was a very cheap housing area, lots of housing commission homes etc. Shopping centre was reputed to have one car an hour stolen a couple of years back. Imagine the reputation sort of stuck but probably with the way house prices have risen in SEQ its now more First home buyers than bogons. Def a hoon area too, but then so is Mooloolaba and thats got houses about 10 times the price of logan. Some of the southside suburbs round that way have a bit of bad press too as they are suburbs the gov places immigrants, probably more racist than justified.

Amazed houses there are around the 400 now, shows how much its gone up, BIL had a rental home there about 5 years ago, it cost him $78,000.

I heard on the news the other day that car theft figures had just been released for seq...

1. Brisbane
2. Gold Coast
3. Logan
4. Ipswich

Cant be bothered to look for the research but it is what I heard on the news and read in the QT...

Sean

Timber Floor Au Dec 1st 2007 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 5620346)

You can still get houses there in the 200's

fa kin su pa Dec 1st 2007 2:21 pm

This is great thanks guys. Any idea of nice area's that is good then for bring up the family. We are sort off flexible (meaning we do not need to live in logan) but have no idea as we are still in the UK.

I didn't really want to live in Brisbane city but more on the outskirt. Or would you not advise this:thumbsup:

fa kin su pa Dec 1st 2007 3:52 pm

Would this also include the Woodridge and Springwood areas?:thumbsup:

>Trigger< Dec 1st 2007 8:09 pm

Logan's a big area..some suburbs ok...
avoid loganholme....Rochdale,carbrook and cornubia..are ok..all on the edge of Redlandshire

Waterford west is horse country and acreage.
Springwood is very much commercial and retail with the highway going straight thru the middle

Would I move there?....no

muffinoz Dec 1st 2007 8:52 pm

Hi .. have a look on the net at properties in Cleveland, Ormiston, Wellington Point and Birkdale ... they're all on a train line into Brisbane and on the bayside ... yea they can be expensive but I know there is property available under $500 ... and the are good and relatively safe places to live ... with plenty to do and I believe good schools ... Thornlands is just outside Cleveland but it's not on train line and generally cheaper ... ditto Victoria Point ...

Cheers ... David

fa kin su pa Dec 1st 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by muffinoz (Post 5622265)
Hi .. have a look on the net at properties in Cleveland, Ormiston, Wellington Point and Birkdale ... they're all on a train line into Brisbane and on the bayside ... yea they can be expensive but I know there is property available under $500 ... and the are good and relatively safe places to live ... with plenty to do and I believe good schools ... Thornlands is just outside Cleveland but it's not on train line and generally cheaper ... ditto Victoria Point ...

Cheers ... David

Thanks but it's sort of put us of now on the area. We are now looking into Belbowrie, Moggill but the problem is now schools. My son players soccer, water polo and rugby, well most sports so I'm trying to combine everything. Not easy:eek:

4500 Times Dec 1st 2007 9:27 pm

Hey

Your best off looking Shailer Park, Cornubia, Daisy Hill area, still some property available at decent prices although that won't last for long.....

We moved to Shailer Park from Redland Bay over 12 months ago and would definately not go back.

Our son goes to Kimberley Park school which we are very happy with and theres also other decent schools around.

We are pretty much central to everything, freeway is 5 mins away, plenty of retail therapy if thats on your list of requirements, about 40 mins to Gold Coast and 20 mins to Brissie ( on a good day )

Like everywhere though, commuting is definately becoming worse, the rush hour seems to last all day now !!!!!!!!!

Good luck

wullieb1 Dec 1st 2007 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 5622349)
Hey

Your best off looking Shailer Park, Cornubia, Daisy Hill area, still some property available at decent prices although that won't last for long.....

We moved to Shailer Park from Redland Bay over 12 months ago and would definately not go back.

Our son goes to Kimberley Park school which we are very happy with and theres also other decent schools around.

We are pretty much central to everything, freeway is 5 mins away, plenty of retail therapy if thats on your list of requirements, about 40 mins to Gold Coast and 20 mins to Brissie ( on a good day )

Like everywhere though, commuting is definately becoming worse, the rush hour seems to last all day now !!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Have a look around the Mount Gravatt area. We are in a 3 bed furnished townhouse and it costs us $365 a month.

Mansfield State school is our catchment school and is supposedly a fantastic school to go to. We won't know till next year as our son starts there.

I have a bus stop 300m from the house that gets me to the city centre, Queen Street station in about 25 mins. Close to shops and amenities.

bcworld Dec 1st 2007 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by wullieb1 (Post 5622388)
Have a look around the Mount Gravatt area. We are in a 3 bed furnished townhouse and it costs us $365 a month.

....I'm assuming you mean $365 a week???

wullieb1 Dec 2nd 2007 12:10 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5622532)
....I'm assuming you mean $365 a week???

Oops yes my mistake... Sorry