Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living In Limbo-advice please!

Living In Limbo-advice please!

Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:53 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living In Limbo-advice please!

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
DONT DO IT.
It will be worth it in the end. What a waste this past year would have been.
Hang in there kid!
I know, we will wait a couple more months but defo not another year.

No way am I giving up another 12 months of my life, I just cant.

I also think if Algeria wont comply in a year and a half, they wont in 2 years and they dont have to either.

Its a case of stuffing the file in a drawer and getting round to it when they can - if they want to.

Nothing we can do, noone we can contact.

I reckon if we havent heard by August, then that is it.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:06 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know, we will wait a couple more months but defo not another year.

No way am I giving up another 12 months of my life, I just cant.

I also think if Algeria wont comply in a year and a half, they wont in 2 years and they dont have to either.

Its a case of stuffing the file in a drawer and getting round to it when they can - if they want to.

Nothing we can do, noone we can contact.

I reckon if we havent heard by August, then that is it.
God,I will keep everything crossed for you!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:14 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

God,I will keep everything crossed for you!
Actually, thinking about it, I think my husband decided on a June cut off date if my memory serves me.

Besides, if his country havent complied with requests by then, then I cant see them doing it myself. If they dont get enough to process, then the applications stay in the drawer.

Lifes too short to be on hold for that long and I know to a point, you can carry on as in work and stuff, but some stuff needs a clear horizon - or in our case it does.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Having a bit of a "down" day today!
We fly out on 3rd May and have finalised everything at the other end-have tempory rental,rented a car,have interviews with schools,arranged start date with work etc,etc.
I have organised as much as I can here but alot needs to be done but I can only do this nearer the time.
I feel totally overwhelmed by everything.This whole emigration is consuming my life-I spend every single waking moment thinking about moving and am now dreaming about it too!
I wish we could just go now! Cant bear the thought of saying goodbye to my family and friends.
I am sure I am not the only one-how did you get through it? Please give me some advice-I am going insane!!!This is one of the most stressful things I have ever done!
Sorry about the moaning! I know I should be very grateful we are going(I am honestly!)

Andy
Fly out in less than 2 months! God I wish! If we get out in 2 years it'll be some what of a miracle! I say far more things to worry about, you're getting everything in pace and it's going to happen! Stop stressing about it and be positive. Once you get there have no home no job etc then stress lol
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:39 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Im an ex member of the limbo club and all you can do is grin and bear it.
I'd watch every tv show that was oz orientated,never off the internet looking at houses and this site for advice from people.
You feel like your going nowhere then all of a sudden its your leaving do and in the last week theres everyone you know wanting to meet you for one last time but theres no way you can see them all.

Before you know it you'll be on a flight and its all so worthwhile.5 weeks in and loving it.

Good luck to you all when the time comes.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all2oddballs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know

You do get into a routine though Jackie, it starts with waking at 6am, staring at the alarm clock and willing the telephone to ring.

Get up, dressed and brekkie, pray that whilst porridge is cooking in microwave, the phone will ring.

Phone hasnt rung by half seven and its time to get train. Curse loudly, think 'I am SO fed up', leave and go to station where ticket man says 'Any sign of that visa yet Sam? You have been telling us you were going for ages'

Force smile out at ticket man and get on the train.

Get to work with the faintest hope ever that George Lombard will phone me - he doesn't. Check email in case he can't get through on home phone, work phone, mobile phone. Email box empty.

Check work email (just in case)

By now, Australia are settling down for the evening and you resign yourself to the fact it won't be today (but you secretly pray it might be)

Then spend lunch break thinking 'It was a year on Feb 21' and then tell family that no, you can't call DIAC/Algeria/The Pope/The Queen/Robbie Williams to find out what has happened, you just have to wait.

Get home, go on internet, pray The Lombard has emailed you, he hasnt. Eat your dinner, drink copious amounts of tea and watch Eastenders/Corrie.

Go to bed for half an hour, go back on computer, check email, drink horlicks, set alarm for 6am.

And so it all begins again.

Exhausted reading this? Imagine what I am like.
i read this and it was like reading a page from my diary
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:36 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

We have been in limbor for 4 years! Went out for 8 months and came back. Now visa is running out in Oct and have decided to go. House sold yesterday, accomodation available in Oz from June onwards. Need to tell family, some friends know. Really feel sad to lose the house but as a friend said, it's only a house. You can have another one in Oz.

Jobs will have to be found when we get there, which I guess will also lead to a lot of stress. Already have TFN numbers and Medicare cards.

Does stress level out to manageable? Don't know. Do feelings of guilt of having to leave elderly parents and older children behind ever subside? Don't know. New friends can be made but there will be no history with them.

One minute feeling really excited, next feeling like crying, next feeling plain sad not to mention that we are mostly sh!ting oursleves. When we were first out in Oz, I met a woman who's a counsellor and she told me that a study of migrants has shown that it takes anything upto 6 six years to feel settled and the guilt to subside. 6 years??!!! What the...?

I guess, it's a case of looking forward to the new life which will be very different from the one we know (and that is why we are going, right?) and settling into it by making whatever we like of it.

Good luck to everyone who makes this life changing move to Oz and survives the experience to tell a wonderful story.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kernow1
We have been in limbor for 4 years! Went out for 8 months and came back. Now visa is running out in Oct and have decided to go. House sold yesterday, accomodation available in Oz from June onwards. Need to tell family, some friends know. Really feel sad to lose the house but as a friend said, it's only a house. You can have another one in Oz.

Jobs will have to be found when we get there, which I guess will also lead to a lot of stress. Already have TFN numbers and Medicare cards.

Does stress level out to manageable? Don't know. Do feelings of guilt of having to leave elderly parents and older children behind ever subside? Don't know. New friends can be made but there will be no history with them.

One minute feeling really excited, next feeling like crying, next feeling plain sad not to mention that we are mostly sh!ting oursleves. When we were first out in Oz, I met a woman who's a counsellor and she told me that a study of migrants has shown that it takes anything upto 6 six years to feel settled and the guilt to subside. 6 years??!!! What the...?

I guess, it's a case of looking forward to the new life which will be very different from the one we know (and that is why we are going, right?) and settling into it by making whatever we like of it.

Good luck to everyone who makes this life changing move to Oz and survives the experience to tell a wonderful story.

Hi I guess all these mixed emotions are to be expected. It is a huge step not to mention the difficulty leaving friends and family behind. I like you am excited one minute and could dissolve into tears the next, however I am so looking forward to this adventure and the changes it will bring.
We can only give it a shot and do what we think is right for ourselves.
We are hoping to be off the end of April. The best of luck to you and yours.

Donna
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

jodi666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

i remember feeling like you do like it was yesterday, we have been on the gold coast nearly 5 months now and i can tell you i really feel for you but it will be so worth it.

my situation sounds similar to yours 18 months of mental torture family wouldn accept it refused to talk about it, i actually left while they were all on holiday without telling them i was going as they didn want to say goodbye it was bloody awful especially for the kids, my house sale went through on the friday before we left on the sunday, it was all done on a wing and a prayer.

the stress is a nightmare but the best advice i could give you is take it a day at a time it all gets done in the end, it was a strange feeling for me don't know if anyone else felt like it but it was like i was on auto pilot everyday just working through the daily lists i wrote.

I cannot comment on the goodbyes as i only had 1 brother and 1 sister to say goodbye to in person and although still hard it's not the same as saying goodbye to your mum well not for me anyway. i cannot tell you the relief when we got on the plane to leave hopefully it will be the same for you.

I can honestly say right now it feels like the best thing i have ever done i have 3 children 5, 12, 17. my 17yr old daughter took some time to settle but nothing more than expected. i had never been to queensland before so i did not know what to expect, just decided to be open minded, cross each bridge as i came to it and look upon it as a life experience whether good or bad and most of all just try to enjoy it, it is a great oppertunity.

The bottom line is although you feel your head is going to explode you are nearly there there is light at the end of the tunnel & hopefully the end result will be worth it . I wake up everyday and feel lucky to be here it has given me a new zest for life which i had lost back in the uk . I really do wish you the best of luck just relax & enjoy.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:05 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jodi666
Hi there,

i remember feeling like you do like it was yesterday, we have been on the gold coast nearly 5 months now and i can tell you i really feel for you but it will be so worth it.

my situation sounds similar to yours 18 months of mental torture family wouldn accept it refused to talk about it, i actually left while they were all on holiday without telling them i was going as they didn want to say goodbye it was bloody awful especially for the kids, my house sale went through on the friday before we left on the sunday, it was all done on a wing and a prayer.

the stress is a nightmare but the best advice i could give you is take it a day at a time it all gets done in the end, it was a strange feeling for me don't know if anyone else felt like it but it was like i was on auto pilot everyday just working through the daily lists i wrote.

I cannot comment on the goodbyes as i only had 1 brother and 1 sister to say goodbye to in person and although still hard it's not the same as saying goodbye to your mum well not for me anyway. i cannot tell you the relief when we got on the plane to leave hopefully it will be the same for you.

I can honestly say right now it feels like the best thing i have ever done i have 3 children 5, 12, 17. my 17yr old daughter took some time to settle but nothing more than expected. i had never been to queensland before so i did not know what to expect, just decided to be open minded, cross each bridge as i came to it and look upon it as a life experience whether good or bad and most of all just try to enjoy it, it is a great oppertunity.

The bottom line is although you feel your head is going to explode you are nearly there there is light at the end of the tunnel & hopefully the end result will be worth it . I wake up everyday and feel lucky to be here it has given me a new zest for life which i had lost back in the uk . I really do wish you the best of luck just relax & enjoy.
Thank you !