British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Living In Limbo-advice please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/living-limbo-advice-please-434341/)

Alana and Arrons mum Mar 13th 2007 1:55 pm

Living In Limbo-advice please!

Hi all,
Having a bit of a "down" day today!:)
We fly out on 3rd May and have finalised everything at the other end-have tempory rental,rented a car,have interviews with schools,arranged start date with work etc,etc.
I have organised as much as I can here but alot needs to be done but I can only do this nearer the time.
I feel totally overwhelmed by everything.This whole emigration is consuming my life-I spend every single waking moment thinking about moving and am now dreaming about it too!
I wish we could just go now! Cant bear the thought of saying goodbye to my family and friends.
I am sure I am not the only one-how did you get through it? Please give me some advice-I am going insane!!!This is one of the most stressful things I have ever done!
Sorry about the moaning! I know I should be very grateful we are going(I am honestly!)

Andy

esperanza Mar 13th 2007 2:11 pm

Re: Living In Limbo-advice please!

I can relate to some of that - we go a month earlier than you, and I'm convinced there must be things I should be sorting out but I can't think what as we've got so much organised already.
We're staying as busy as possible this end by seeing lots of friends, visiting local tourist attractions that we've never been to, learning new skills/getting new qualifications, staying organised.... and counting down our last month in the UK!
I hope for your sake that you find a way to relax & calm down, because two months is a very long time to be permanently stressed/on edge!

Cheetah7 Mar 13th 2007 2:22 pm

Going through it myself so know how you are feeling.

I cannot stand waiting any longer for the visa, would love to plan a holiday in Africa but need to save cash.

I eat, sleep, dream and sweat all thoughts on the visa, yet it will be bitter sweet the day it comes through because I shall have to start to pack up my comfort zone, shut down my UK life and hardest of all, say goodbye to my Dad.

And for some reason, the whole thing seems far more complicated now than it did before we applied, far more emotional and takes up most of my thoughts.

As for dealing with it? I am not, or at least not very well.

:(

grahampaula Mar 13th 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum (Post 4513397)
Hi all,
We fly out on 3rd May and have finalised everything at the other end-have tempory rental,rented a car,have interviews with schools,arranged start date with work etc,etc.
I have organised as much as I can here but alot needs to be done but I can only do this nearer the time.
I feel totally overwhelmed by everything.This whole emigration is consuming my life-I spend every single waking moment thinking about moving and am now dreaming about it too!
I wish we could just go now! Cant bear the thought of saying goodbye to my family and friends.
I am sure I am not the only one-how did you get through it? Please give me some advice-I am going insane!!!This is one of the most stressful things I have ever done!
Sorry about the moaning! I know I should be very grateful we are going(I am honestly!)

Andy

Hi Andy, know exactly what you are going through as all we seem to be doing is sleeping, eating and breathing our dream at the moment. I am sure that you will manage to get everyting done, and in time. Take a few deep breaths, decide what is most important, make a list and work through it.
Our plans have all gone to pot at the moment as the house sale is taking a lot longer than anticipated, so we are having to look to do a three week recce in May:ohmy: this I definately could have done without but onwards and upwards as they say.
By the way, you are not moaning just going through the normal emotions at this stressful time. Good luck and all the best for the future.:thumbup:

aston man Mar 13th 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum (Post 4513397)
Hi all,

Andy

your not on your own ,if i am not on here i am looking at property..i dont want to do anything that is not connected to my move...just counting the days...

jeez...

tictac Mar 13th 2007 5:51 pm

Visas granted - CHECK
House Sold - CHECK
Shippers Arranged - CHECK
Place to settle identified and visited - CHECK
Jobs Secured- CHECK
Starting dates confirmed - CHECK
Kids' schools identified - CHECK
Resignation letter written - CHECK
Leaving date confirmed - CHECK
Family and friends upset - CHECK
Flight booked - WIP
Initial accomodation sorted - WIP

So:

Why does it feel like it's just a dream?
Why is life carrying on as normal?
When will it start to feel real?
Am I missing something?

Donna&Neil Mar 13th 2007 5:53 pm

I am thick what does WIP mean?

tictac Mar 13th 2007 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil (Post 4514163)
I am thick what does WIP mean?

Working on it!

Donna&Neil Mar 13th 2007 5:58 pm

Ah work in progress. Thanks

Donna&Neil Mar 13th 2007 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by tictac (Post 4514155)
Visas granted - CHECK
House Sold - CHECK
Shippers Arranged - CHECK
Place to settle identified and visited - CHECK
Jobs Secured- CHECK
Starting dates confirmed - CHECK
Kids' schools identified - CHECK
Resignation letter written - CHECK
Leaving date confirmed - CHECK
Family and friends upset - CHECK
Flight booked - WIP
Initial accomodation sorted - WIP

So:

Why does it feel like it's just a dream?
Why is life carrying on as normal?
When will it start to feel real?
Am I missing something?

Hi you are right thou. Are we about the same position? Are hoping to be out End April/Start May. Wrote my resignation letter today, looking for short term accomm and away to book flights BUT yeah still feels kinda surreal. Maybe when we stop work and the house gets emptied by the shippers the penny will drop like a ton of bricks!! Hope I'm prepared. :eek:

Donna

Phoenix Mar 13th 2007 6:04 pm

Been in limbo since the beginning of Feb now -Driving me nuts :eek:

You are not alone :)

Cheetah7 Mar 13th 2007 6:08 pm

Well if this is the limbo club, can I join and be the longest serving member - a year in waiting.:eek:

Mrs JFW Mar 13th 2007 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 4514212)
Well if this is the limbo club, can I join and be the longest serving member - a year in waiting.:eek:

PP whats the longest anyone has had to wait for a visa? do you know? you must be a strong contender for the title now luv! :huh:

I am in limbo now just waiting for house to sell, but its not as bad as waiting for the visa i have to say :(

Jackie x

tictac Mar 13th 2007 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 4514212)

Good things come to those...... and I hope yours are some of the best!

We plan to fly out to BNE at the end of May and reckon that once we finish work here and book flights then the scale of what we are about to do will hit us.

That's if I survive the month or so we'll be spending with the in-laws in between moving out of our home and getting on the plane!

Cheers

Alana and Arrons mum Mar 13th 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks Guys!
Have turned the "To Do" list on the fridge over so I cant see it! Will look at it again next week,perhaps!
Its good to know we are not alone .I think its great we can use this site cos sometimes its hard to talk to family and friends,they all seem to have their own agenda and most dont want us to go.My MIL STILL wont talk about it-shes been avoiding the issue since we told her our plans in the summer.She just will not engage in any conversation about us going away.What a nightmare!:eek:
Any way-going to have a nice glass of red now.:beer:
Andy xxx