Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Lethbridge Park, Sydney

Living in Lethbridge Park, Sydney

Old May 29th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Living in Lethbridge Park, Sydney

Hello all,

Does anybody live in or know of the Lethbridge Park area of Sydney. We are still in the UK but are investigating areas of Sydney for making a House purchase.

While we have been to Sydney several times it is not a part of town we know very well, so any input would be appreciated on what it would be like for a family, the amenities and general atmosphere.

Thanks
Old May 30th 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living in Lethbridge Park, Sydney

Doesn't anyone know?
Old May 30th 2011, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Sydney, but no, I don't know- it is a big place with many different areas. Can't help you there.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Hi, I had never heard of it, so I looked on googlemaps. I would be cautious of the area AND buying a house you have not seen in the flesh. They featured a house in Oxley, just near it, on Selling Houses (Australia) with that Andrew Winter a while ago and the prices were about a third of what you would pay for a house in the majority of Sydney. I am not saying that there might not be great little pockets in the area, but on the whole you will have to know the area very well to find them. You dont want to buy in a area just to find that there are loads of social problems to deal with. I would think there is a big chance that the area is "dodgy", I might be wrong, but I still would not chance it if I was you. It is also very far from Sydney CBD. I think you should rather wait until you are here to make such a big decision.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It is dodgy - very dodgy. Slap bang in the middle of the Mount Druitt area. Housing is no doubt very cheap compared to elsewhere in Sydney - and there's a good reason for that. The local high school was in the news a few years ago for getting seriously dire Year 12 results.
Don't buy anywhere there or nearby.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Ahh thanks guys, we had guessed it was not the most desirable place to live hence the cheap house prices. We had thought of buying a cheap place there to use as a base for when we first arrive and then move to a nicer,more desirable place in a few months time once we find our feet. However, dont fancy waking up with our throats cut or drug dealers next door lol.

If anybody else has any views we would be very interested, Thanks

Last edited by australianinleicester; May 31st 2011 at 10:54 am.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I'm from Sydney and yes that's a dodgy area. As someone who has moved around a lot my advice would be: rent don't buy until you know Sydney well and know what you want. Why on earth would you buy a house - paying estate agents, stamp duty, other fees etc. only to sell 6 months later and buy another house and pay more fees?
Old May 31st 2011, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

...and the fees are hideously expensive too.