British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Living on Gold Coast, Commuting to South Brisbane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/living-gold-coast-commuting-south-brisbane-544462/)

nicrock Jun 22nd 2008 9:28 am

Living on Gold Coast, Commuting to South Brisbane?

Hi All,

I've only been in Australia a week now and have travelled to every suburb possible around Brisbane within this time! :curse:

We were originally supposed to be living in Forest Lake, but I hated this suburb as soon as I arrived. It was clean and the house we were renting was nice but the area was just too quiet for me and my boyfriend. :frown:

I've spent everyday crying wondering if I've made the wrong decision coming to Australia. Today however we decided to visit the Gold Coast and look what properties are available to rent there. :thumbsup:

We absolutely loved it and it's the only area I could see myself living in if we were to stay. The only problem is, my partner starts work in a couple of weeks (he's a welder) and is based in Larapinta (South Brisbane).

He is happy to commute to work from the Gold Coast but i'm worried this will get too much for him and take too long to commute to each day? :confused:

I keep getting mixed responses from people with how the commute will be, some say it won't take long 30mins max and others say over and hour to an hour and 30mins!!

If anyone lives on the Gold Coast or could offer some advise i'd be vey very grateful. Don't know what we'll do if the commute is too much :unsure:

Thanks All :)

hantsfamily1 Jun 22nd 2008 9:38 am

Re: Living on Gold Coast, Commuting to South Brisbane?

I live in Broadbeach Waters and have spent the last 6 months working in Kelvin Grove which is right in the city. It used to take me just under an hour to get there and about and hour and 10 minutes to get home.

We also looked all around the Brisbane suburbs and after 2 months opted to live on the Gold Coast and travel into work. I have now started a job closer to home, about 20 minutes up the road and obviously I prefer it.

I would suggest living where you are happiest and maybe further down the track your partner may find a job closer to home.

I think its more fun on the coast and more of a lifestyle change but thats only my opinion.

Good luck

WelshSarah Jun 22nd 2008 10:03 am

We live near Surfers and my husband worked in CBD in Brisbane. He used to get on the rain at Nerang which was punctual and clean and got into Brisbane an hour later. He said it was a small price to pay to live here in Paradise!! PM me if you would like...:)

sammyg Jun 22nd 2008 10:47 am

We too, thought we'd like Brissie, but were brought down to earth quite quickly- Didn't like it!!! (sorry those that live there!!)

We loved the gold coast and we still do (only 3/4 months later!:D) and decided then we were going to live where we felt happy.

I work in Nerang but OH commutes to Acacia Ridge everyday. It takes him 45 mins but he doesn't moan as we made the decision to live on the Coast and at the weekend we wouldn't want to be anywhere else!
We went out to Surfers last night and chilled by the lake today!
Our weekends always have something different planned. If we're not checking the many beaches out we are walking in the Hinterland! (as well as eating at nice restaurants, drinking in nice bars and simply...just taking in some of the amazing coastal views, which you just dont get in Brisbane!!

Brisbane to us is ok but just seems to be suburb after suburb linked by shopping centres (nearly always the same shops too!) - sure others will disagree but the only part of brisssie we found nice was southbank? And you get bored of that too soon enough!

Don't worry about the commute - many people do it and at the end of the day /weekend you have all the nice bits on your doorstep:thumbup:

PaulandNic Jun 22nd 2008 12:00 pm

I did some work at Brissie airport last year, had to be there for 6am.

I was leaving Upper Coomera at 4.30am to get there on time ... :curse:

One day I missed the turn off for the gateway and ended up going thru the centre of Brissie. I got there 10 or 15 mins early! ... :ohmy: ... but that gateway can be a car park I found ... :(