Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on the Gold Coast

Living on the Gold Coast

Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Default Living on the Gold Coast

Hi All

We hold PR visa, and we intend to move to OZ early next year. The Gold Coast is our second option (after Sydney).

If you happen to live on the Gold Coast, what is life over there? What kind of life style and activities the Gold Coast hold for its residents ?

How cold is winter over there, is it true that the Gold Coast has average 300 days of sunshine ?

Thank you for your reply.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on the Gold Coast

I hope you don't think I am being obtuse, but if the Gold Coast is your second choice I would have thought you should have already researched all this before you made a decision.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gere
Hi All

We hold PR visa, and we intend to move to OZ early next year. The Gold Coast is our second option (after Sydney).

If you happen to live on the Gold Coast, what is life over there? What kind of life style and activities the Gold Coast hold for its residents ?

How cold is winter over there, is it true that the Gold Coast has average 300 days of sunshine ?

Thank you for your reply.
I guess it depends if you don't mind living with holidaymakers. Also what line of work are you in? I'm in IT and there would not be many opportunities up there for me. Kind of stuck with Sydney , Melbourne for IT careers. If your in the tourism industry then GC would be number 1 spot to get a job. The place is built for tourism.
By the way Sydney has 300 days of sunshine too :-D
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi we live on the Gold coast, have been here just over 2 yrs and love the lifestyle. We are in Robina, close enough to get to surfers if we feel like it, or for our daughter to go clubbing, but far enough away not to be affected by events like schoolies, indy etc. We are within 10 mins of the beach, have a top quality shopping centre on our doorstep.. We enjoy eating out at least twice a week, so have an abundance of restaurants to choose from. Mount Tamborine, is about 25 min drive, and offers us good eating venues, rain forest and wineries and cheese farms etc.
15 mins to coolangatta airport, which is easy to travel from to most other Australian Cities.. and just under an hour from Brisbane.
Have visited Sydney and enjoyed our stay, but were happy to come "home" to what is now familiar to us. Good luck with your decision.. by the way we aren't in the hospitality industry.. i work in Sales, and my husband is currently working for Qld Government.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
I guess it depends if you don't mind living with holidaymakers.
Obviously typed by someone who's never lived here. I don't live with holiday makers and as far as I'm aware don't see them on a daily basis. I would imagine (don't live there so don't know) that there are possibly just as many, if not more, holidaymakers in and around Sydney.

OP, I love it here but I have no idea if you would or not
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:35 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We moved to Sydney 12 months ago, hated it, moved to the Gold Coast about a month ago. Its much better, more chiled out, friendlier neighbours, a lot less competitiveness getting on the trains. In sydney everyone lives to work, its a rat race. On the gold coast eveyone has a life and seems happier. We've met other people here that have moved from Melbourne and Sydney and they would never go back.

I work in IT, there is IT work in Brisbane and its not far. Its quicker for me to get from Coomera to work in Brisbane than it was from Glenwood in to Sydney. Admittedly I transferred with work so didnt have to find a job though.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:44 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We moved to Sydney 12 months ago, hated it, moved to the Gold Coast about a month ago. Its much better, more chiled out, friendlier neighbours, a lot less competitiveness getting on the trains. In sydney everyone lives to work, its a rat race. On the gold coast eveyone has a life and seems happier. We've met other people here that have moved from Melbourne and Sydney and they would never go back.
That sounds like a pretty accurate summary based on my experience too. All I will add to that is, as you get a little older, even the GC seems a little bit like a rat race. That's when you need to head up to the Sunshine Coast for an even better lifestyle
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice

I googled for information regarding life on the Gold Coast. But I believe people living over there offer better ideas based on real experience. The internet is great but not always accurate. Life on Google and real life and are not always the same.

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I hope you don't think I am being obtuse, but if the Gold Coast is your second choice I would have thought you should have already researched all this before you made a decision.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you guys for your replies.

Cheers
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

The weather is great, Winter gets cold during the night and early morning but still gets to 18-22 degrees during the day, we even had a freak week in Augustor September where temps got to34 degrees...

We love living on Gold Coast, we live in Mudgeeraba which is 20 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Surfers, 10 minutes drive from nearest beach but only 10 minutes to Hinterland.

When we first talked about emigrating my wife wanted to move to Sydney, we liked it there when we came a few yrs ago, I wanted to move here as I have friends from UK who live here, My wife pictured the Gold Coast to be all like Surfers, very touristy, its far from that, It a really nice place to live, we have a five yr old boy, he loves it out here. Our lifestyle now is fantastic...
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by humpy
The weather is great, Winter gets cold during the night and early morning but still gets to 18-22 degrees during the day, we even had a freak week in Augustor September where temps got to34 degrees...

We love living on Gold Coast, we live in Mudgeeraba which is 20 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Surfers, 10 minutes drive from nearest beach but only 10 minutes to Hinterland.

When we first talked about emigrating my wife wanted to move to Sydney, we liked it there when we came a few yrs ago, I wanted to move here as I have friends from UK who live here, My wife pictured the Gold Coast to be all like Surfers, very touristy, its far from that, It a really nice place to live, we have a five yr old boy, he loves it out here. Our lifestyle now is fantastic...
We too live in Mudgeeraba..small world !! its as above .. nothing touristy about where we live ...just been voted "friendliest town in Queensland" small and quaint..but a hop,skip and a jump to the beach, the Hinterland and a short drive to the bright lights of Surfers.... there is a mix of types of towns on the Gold Coast to meet all needs ....and i agree with Moneypenny..anyone who says its all holidaymakers etc doesnt live here and hasnt a clue.....
We have a 4 year old and we love it here..this is definately home for us now ......Good luck
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I get bored with people who think that the Gold Coast and Surfers are the same place.

The climate on the Gold Coast is in my opinion the best in Australia. 20 degrees on a cold winters day and apart from the odd very hot day late 20`s to early 30`s on a hot day. Very consistent and loads of good family days.

I live 10 minutes down the road from Surfers in Broadbeach waters and the only time I encounter tourists is if I head into Surfers or if I go looking for them. So many beaches with so much space, so many parks and bbq areas.

Head into the hinterland and beautiful mountains are there to enjoy.

600k residents and the 6th largest city in Australia...just built for tourists... I dont think so.

Best place in my opinion.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it, if somebody can Google the Gold Coast and come up with the statement that its full of holiday makers, then they stand little chance of crossing the road without getting run over, let alone negotiate the many obstacles to emigration