Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Geelong but homesick

Living in Geelong but homesick

Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:31 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Living in Geelong

Hi everyone

I have not posted regularly on this site for over two years, so I shall start by introducing myself.

My name is Mel, and I am married to Ian. We emigrated from Scotland to Australia just over two years ago, and have settled in Geelong, Vic. Since arriving here we have had two children Ally, 16 months, and Monty, one month. We also have a dog, Mika, who came with us from Scotland.

We are going to take our citizenship interview in a few weeks and are in the process of building a house, which should be ready in a few months. We have been renting since we got here and are keen to be in our own house again!

My husband has never settled in here. He enjoys the hot days, but misses the green grass in Britain, the close proximity to mainland Europe, and the feeling of not being foreign. Also the scenery here is not a patch on what we left behind, although I'm sure many would disagree with us. Iguess you like best what you have grown up with.

I felt very much at home until a few weeks ago when my mum sent me a video of Coronation Street (the episodes leading up to and including Status Quo playing at Les Battersby's wedding). Now I am also longing to feel at home again, and missing the familiarity of Britain. I didn't realise how much I missed it! We are going to stay here for a few more years at least, and then take a holiday back home to see if our reasons for leaving are still there, and if not we will go back.

But the reason I am posting on this thread and not the moving back to the UK one is that I thought I could be helpful for people not sure about making the move. I love Australia and it's people, so will not be derogatory, just honest. Also if anyone has any specific questions about Geelong, or had not considered moving outside of the capital cities, then ask away, any questions at all. My hubby is self employed and I do his paperwork, so am quite familiar with the Aussie tax office, so any questions about that will be welcome.

Also any questions about the actual moving process, for example what to take, what to leave behind. Whether or not to take your pet (we did), etc. I hope I can be of help to some people. And hopefully posting back on this site will help me decide if I should stay or go.

Mel

Last edited by mika24me; Jan 6th 2006 at 12:52 am.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:54 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living in Geelong

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hi everyone

I have not posted regularly on this site for over two years, so I shall start by introducing myself.

My name is Mel, and I am married to Ian. We emigrated from Scotland to Australia just over two years ago, and have settled in Geelong, Vic. Since arriving here we have had two children Ally, 16 months, and Monty, one month. We also have a dog, Mika, who came with us from Scotland.

We are going to take our citizenship interview in a few weeks and are in the process of building a house, which should be ready in a few months. We have been renting since we got here and are keen to be in our own house again!

My husband has never settled in here. He enjoys the hot days, but misses the green grass in Britain, the close proximity to mainland Europe, and the feeling of not being foreign. Also the scenery here is not a patch on what we left behind, although I'm sure many would disagree with us. Iguess you like best what you have grown up with.

I felt very much at home until a few weeks ago when my mum sent me a video of Coronation Street (the episodes leading up to and including Status Quo playing at Les Battersby's wedding). Now I am also longing to feel at home again, and missing the familiarity of Britain. I didn't realise how much I missed it! We are going to stay here for a few more years at least, and then take a holiday back home to see if our reasons for leaving are still there, and if not we will go back.

But the reason I am posting on this thread and not the moving back to the UK one is that I thought I could be helpful for people not sure about making the move. I love Australia and it's people, so will not be derogatory, just honest. Also if anyone has any specific questions about Geelong, or had not considered moving outside of the capital cities, then ask away, any questions at all. My hubby is self employed and I do his paperwork, so am quite familiar with the Aussie tax office, so any questions about that will be welcome.

Also any questions about the actual moving process, for example what to take, what to leave behind. Whether or not to take your pet (we did), etc. I hope I can be of help to some people. And hopefully posting back on this site will help me decide if I should stay or go.

Mel

Hi Mel,
Theres been a few questions about Geelong on the Britvics site recently. Seems to be a few familys heading that way in 2006.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Hi everyone

Mel

Hi Mel

We are also from Scotland (Falkirk)-which part are you from? Very interesting post-you have been very busy ,what with the babies and all
We are hoping to be in Oz - Perth- around July this year,still waiting on Visa's- cant stand all this waiting-it drives me nuts
Well, Mel, I know you are feeling a bit homesick right now and I suppose certain things will make you feel like that (Corrie!!) but let me assure you that you are not missing much!! Right now it is freezing,electricity and gas prices are going UP!,council tax is going UP,crime is UP(eg more drunk drivers this year than last),more teenage binge drinking,........I could go on and on....
I guess when you are homesick it is more to do with family and friends though so perhaps these things wont matter so much.
Anyway good post and I hope your homesickness fades but if not a wee visit home I am sure would sort that out

Marlyn
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:16 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzymaz
Hi Mel

We are also from Scotland (Falkirk)-which part are you from? Very interesting post-you have been very busy ,what with the babies and all
We are hoping to be in Oz - Perth- around July this year,still waiting on Visa's- cant stand all this waiting-it drives me nuts
Well, Mel, I know you are feeling a bit homesick right now and I suppose certain things will make you feel like that (Corrie!!) but let me assure you that you are not missing much!! Right now it is freezing,electricity and gas prices are going UP!,council tax is going UP,crime is UP(eg more drunk drivers this year than last),more teenage binge drinking,........I could go on and on....
I guess when you are homesick it is more to do with family and friends though so perhaps these things wont matter so much.
Anyway good post and I hope your homesickness fades but if not a wee visit home I am sure would sort that out

Marlyn
Hi Marlyn

we are from Caithness originally but lived in Glasgow for the last two years we were in Scotland. Yes I am missing family, but the main reason I am homesick is for the familiarity of the place. Think of Australia like a beautiful stiletto. You love putting it on and wearing it, but at the end of the day you pop on your slippers to get comefortable. Scotland I guess is my pair of old slippers! But everyone is different.

I know how you feel about waiting for the visas. Our wait was quicker than most (got our visa in 3 months, not sure why! Something to do with reaching the years quotas, they rushed a few of us through!) And evern at that it was like waiting to be born. I felt that I couldnt; get on with life until I had a decision one way or another. I hope you get your visa soon. A friend of mine has just moved to Perth and she loves it. I am hoping to visit her in the next year or so.

Crime, yes. I know there is a lot in Britain, There is a lot in Australia too. And there are bills to pay, and complaints about the government. I have come to realise that these things will be there no matter where you are. These are not the reasons for leaving one country or another. Australia has a lot of good points, and I think these should factor into the decision more than the mythical low crime rate.

mel
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Hi everyone

Mel

Hi Mel

Happy New Year
From Scotland myself and dont think there is anywhere as beautiful as Scotland.
Moving to Bunbury near Perth in may with my dogs Harvey and Timmy (oh and my other half John).
How did Mika adjust to the different climate.
Harvey and Timmy are border collies so have a thick coat and I'm a wee bit worried about the heat.
What type of dog is Mika.

Beth
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:23 am
Hussy

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi Mel

Happy New Year
From Scotland myself and dont think there is anywhere as beautiful as Scotland.
Moving to Bunbury near Perth in may with my dogs Harvey and Timmy (oh and my other half John).
How did Mika adjust to the different climate.
Harvey and Timmy are border collies so have a thick coat and I'm a wee bit worried about the heat.
What type of dog is Mika.

Beth
Mika is a staffie, and he has adjusted very well to the climate. He gets hot in summer but we just let him stay in the house hwereit is cooler and he is fine. Border collies should fit in well here, there are lots of them around. Just do all the normal things like make sure they have plenty of shade, water, etc.

Not sure about WA but in VIC you have to watch where you take your dog as certain areas (beaches etc) are dog free during peak summer season, and at other times vary between you haveing to have your dog on a leash, and just having to have them under control. There are lots of areas you can have your dog off the leash all year round, you just have to search a little to find where they are.

When you get the out of quarantine take them to the vets straight away and ask about heartworm protection. Not all areas are affected by this (I think it is a parasite) but some are and if you are takign them into a heartworm area best to get them protected. It is only one cheap vacination once a year and well worth it in my opinion.

Good luck

Mel

PS prepare for your dogs to be in the huff with you for a little while when you pick them up from quarantine, ours certainly was!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Living in Geelong

Not sure about WA but in VIC you have to watch where you take your dog as certain areas (beaches etc) are dog free during peak summer season,
Hi Mel, and thanks for your post.

Could you tell me, are all VIC beaches dog free 24 hours a day in the summer? I have this dream of taking the dog for a run along the beach early in the morning before work, while the beach is still quiet.

Would hate to get arrested by the early morning dog patrol!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:57 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Mel, and thanks for your post.

Could you tell me, are all VIC beaches dog free 24 hours a day in the summer? I have this dream of taking the dog for a run along the beach early in the morning before work, while the beach is still quiet.

Would hate to get arrested by the early morning dog patrol!

Cheers

Buzzy
No
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Living in Geelong

Originally Posted by fraser
No
Thank you Fraser. Errr what does "Account Deleted" mean??? Thought you'd done a Badge.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzymaz
Hi Mel

Marlyn
Hi there...we are from Tullibody but moving back to Plomont as we have sold our house and going to live with brother in law. We are hopefully heading to Perth in July if visas are back.
And to the original poster Scotland is not the same lately even with Coronation Street lol but great post!
Is the tax thing as bad as i have heard about?

Last edited by clanwylie; Jan 6th 2006 at 8:07 am.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Geelong but homesick

Hi Mel

My husband and I have been in Geelong 3 months now. Know what you mean about the stilletto bit !! We had a good life in Aberdeen but wanted to come to Australia for the adventure. Not sure if it's going to be permanent or not but no regrets..........you'll never know unless you try !

Where are you in Geelong?

Judy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I have been exchanging emails with one of the posters on my forum (www.gomatildaforums.com - forgive the shameless plug) about having a Geelong get together ... as you may know my family and I live in Geelong as well.

Send me an email if you are interested and I'll start putting together a list of names, perhaps with a view to having some food and drink next month ...

Best wishes.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I come from Melbourne originally but live in Scotland now (returning to Oz sometime in the future and might return to Scotland and some point after that!) I can appreciate your homesickness and missing the familiarity of home. When you are enjoying another Scottish winter you can look at these photos of a Geelong winter (taken July '05) to remember how 'bad' you had it there.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0944.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0954.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0960.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0971.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict1375.jpg  

Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about

Hi everyone

Mel
Hi
We're in Qld from Scotland also Mel. We have a neighbour who is a psychologist. He recently told us that that it takes the brain and body at least two years to come to terms with emigration. Believe that or not, but in the days of the ten pound pom they took people's passports from them, in the knowledge that this was the most vulnerable time for emigrants to change their minds. Oz authorities then made emigrants on the ten pound scheme stump up their fares (to and from) back to Blighty who chose to leave before the two years were up. You have been through so much, having two babies in the past two years, you are bound to be more emotional than most. If you feel that where you are is not for you, can you not move and try another area of Oz. before making such a big move?

Best Wishes
BB
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

My experiences echo what the 'trick cyclist' suggests. I've been through the missing home badly phase and come out the other side. I could happily live in either Scotland or Oz. One thing for sure is that which ever one you choose, you will have spells of missing the other.

Some more Eastern Beach, Geelong pics FWIW (look at those people dining 'al fresco' in winter)

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0961.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0978.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0981.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict0987.jpg   Living in Geelong but homesick-pict1374.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.