Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living the dream mortgage free

Wikiposts

Living the dream mortgage free

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:38 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Anya, Medicare contributions are deducted from your wages, you dont have to worry about them. You may have to pay to go to the doctors if you dont go to a doctors that bulk bills, but you get a certain amount back from Medicare. I went to the doctors last week, cost me $40 (its gone up since last time I went at xmas! :scared: ) & I will get back $27 from Medicare (pretty sure thats the amount). So $13 out of pocket. If I went to a bulk billing doctor, I wouldnt pay anything, its worth it to find one!

As for prescriptions, unless you are a low income earner, you will pay a max of around $21 for a prescription on the PBS (subsidised medicines). Alot of the drugs are less than the $21 of course .
Thanks, Mrs D, that's very helpful. I'd put a line of 'personal allowance' in my budget to cover bits like that - $100 each per month. Of course if I'm not sick in a month, I can squander it on books, make-up, fresh flowers etc

Anya.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, I'm in NZ rather than OZ, but the same things apply here.
It's not just being able to buy outright huge houses, it's the up keep of them you need to think about, Repairs, decorating, heating, furnishings and things for the garden. "Temporary" bits of furniture until your stuff arrives from the UK.

Many folk seem to buy new or nearly cars outright too, but what happens a couple of years down the line if you need a new vehicle?

There are also loads of little things that crop up in the first year that you need, fans for the heat, electric radiators and blankets for the cold, more patio furniture, petrol mower, chain saw, just to list a few of the things we have had to buy just to get through living here. We pay for a wheelie bin as we seems to have too much rubbish for those naff council paper bags {AND I recyle loads of stuff}.

Just my 2 cents worth, emigrating IS expensive.

Gill
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Larissa
Thanks Hevs for taking the time to write that informative post. We won't be mortgage free :scared: so it will be a hard slog. Looks like I will have to get a job

Us too - even though we are able to release some equity in our UK property when we go - this will soon be swallowed by initial costs when we get there.

No illusions about mortgage free living.

Hard work? Not a problem - as long as someone gives us the chance to work that is!

I am looking forward to starting debt free though (we'll see how long that lasts!).

Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx

I do find it hard to believe that anyone who has got a visa or applied would not have already done their research.

My other feeling on this is that if you can mange to save up seperately before you go for all your start up costs which is what we have done - hence 'the spreadsheet'. You are not eating into your house equity and you can feel quite an acheivement once it's done. I know this just isn't an option for some people.

Max x
You havin a larf or what

We just about managed to pay everything off before we left Twas not an option.

However (apart fron a tiny car loan, we are totally debt free now)

We did do our research, but i think its gonna take a couple of years to pull back from the huge defasit made by moving half way around the world.

I used to think PB, Dotty and co were just trolls trying to pee on my bonfire, with hind sight i just resented what i felt was their condesending tones. I am trying to put forward a valid viewpoint and for those of you who know me will hopefully realise this. No scare tactics, just facts and figures. I'm trying to help, honest gov
Old Jun 12th 2004, 3:26 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hevs
You havin a larf or what

However (apart fron a tiny car loan, we are totally debt free now)

We did do our research, but i think its gonna take a couple of years to pull back from the huge defasit made by moving half way around the world.

I used to think PB, Dotty and co were just trolls trying to pee on my bonfire, with hind sight i just resented what i felt was their condesending tones. I am trying to put forward a valid viewpoint and for those of you who know me will hopefully realise this. No scare tactics, just facts and figures. I'm trying to help, honest gov
I thought I was agreeing with you Hevs??

I totally agree it's a bloody expensive move - I was just trying to put across the point to people in the early stages of application probably that trying to save up for the start up costs would make life easier and possibly delay going until you have done that. I wasn't talking about what you have done personally I was talking generally, and hoping that what we have tried to do will be preparation enough.

For the first year we are sorted as the house we own in Perth we are leasing out but it's a big mortgage and in a years time when we have to pay it ourselves we will really feel the pinch.

It's costing us in excess of £20k to move and we have paid fees associated with buying the house in Perth of over $30k so I couldn't agree more with you..haven't even added to that the cost of us renting for the last 6 months because we sold our house here.

To be honest no amount of research makes up for actually 'doing' it I would imagine!

We are realists and are under no illusions as you can see from above on how much this will cost. We have bought a bloody expensive house (so cheap housing dream is out the window!) and Ed is being transferred by his company (bonus point there yes but we took the risk and got the visa and booked the tickets before they agreed) - this is on a lower wage than his current one, and we have looked into the higher rate of tax, already starting paying rates etc over there.

Maybye you misunderstood what I meant but I couldn't agree more

max x
Old Jun 12th 2004, 3:28 am
WBB

It's costing us in excess of £20k to move
that sounds a hell of a lot for flights and shipping, what other costs does this include?

Old Jun 12th 2004, 3:51 am

Originally posted by WBB
that sounds a hell of a lot for flights and shipping, what other costs does this include?

..where do I start WBB!!

Admittedly includes a car - but hey I need one

Shipping
pet shipping
tickets
pet quarantine
3 weeks rent in holiday let
weeks car hire
car
stamp duty for car
car insurance
vehicle rego
licence fee
customs inspection
shipping insurance
rac membership
house contents insurance
rental bond for long term rental
3 months rent in advance
spending money for 1 month
airport transfer in UK
Months travel insurance
health insurance
internet connection

I am allowing about £8k for a car...take it you won't be taking any cats from your posts..LOL so you won't be paying those ridiculous costs!

..If anyone can see something I have missed please point it out I would be really grateful!

Max
Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:30 am
WBB

..where do I start WBB!!

Admittedly includes a car - but hey I need one

Shipping
pet shipping
tickets
pet quarantine
3 weeks rent in holiday let
weeks car hire
car
stamp duty for car
car insurance
vehicle rego
licence fee
customs inspection
shipping insurance
rac membership
house contents insurance
rental bond for long term rental
3 months rent in advance
spending money for 1 month
airport transfer in UK
Months travel insurance
health insurance
internet connection

I am allowing about £8k for a car...take it you won't be taking any cats from your posts..LOL so you won't be paying those ridiculous costs!

..If anyone can see something I have missed please point it out I would be really grateful!

Max
quite a list there, we will be moving for about £2800.

£1000 for shipping and the rest on flights and transfers, i am so glad we have no animals.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:41 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Well sort of. As you said yourself in an earlier post on this thraad:

OUTGOINGS IN THE UK......
Life insurance (must really get round to sorting this out)
Endowment
Timeshare maintainance
I'm sure many people have (probably unprofitable) endowment payments hanging round their necks when they emigrate of course, alas. Something not to overlook when budgeting, certainly!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:44 am

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Believe it Max, there are quite a few out there, how many times do you see people on here posting "I have my visa, Im wondering if anyone can tell me if I should move to Perth or Brisbane & if I can get a job"? Ive seen heaps! :scared:
LOL yeah too true Mrs DB!...PMSL

Maybye I am being really unadventerous but sinking all you have got into something you have not looked into well seems foolhardy.

Lots of our friends keep saying..yeah but it's so cheap out there - I'm saying yeah right - it really isn't and I can see they don't beleive me - it's crazy but it's the past and it's stuck on people here I guess.

Max x
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:17 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Everyone's information is all very valid and a great help for those of us who are yet to make the jump.

My situation is slightly different and I'm sure I am not the only 1

I am English and my hubby is Australian. I have a small debt for a car which is worth double what I owe,
We dont own a house (it cheaper to rent where I live then to get a mortgage) so dont have any equity to take with me.

However We have been saving and will have (at todays exchange rates) approx $50-$60 AUD to take with us when we go in approx a year. Our thery was stay here for as long as we could (hubby cant do many more UK winters) before going because every 100 quid saved here was easier than trying to save $250 AUD over in OZ.

We are aslo goin in Aug and hoping to buy a house in my hubby's home town to rent out until we get there which will near on pay the mortgage but the extra to be paid will be very easy to pay on a UK income (no more than 50 quid) agian we thought the more costs we could pay whilst earning the British pound ie buying a house the easier it would be to re-coup that money.

We are also lucky enough to have jobs available for my hubby and although I wont be able to do what I do here in the small town we are moving to I am more than willing to take a job in a shop etc should I need to my hubby's parents have also got a spare house which we can stay in for as long as we need.

I'm not living in a dream world but I know for certain that we have no chance of even getting on the property ladder in the part of the country I live in where a studio flat costs 120,000-150,000 pounds . Living costs in the Uk are also high and I cant see that I can possibly be in a worse situation.

Just my theory

Kala
Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:42 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, NZ not Aus, I know, but I did tell y'all... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ggling+survive

Everybody thinks it's going to be cheap downunder but that ain't necessarily so...
Old Jun 12th 2004, 7:31 am

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Snap done exactly what you have done and each time we get it for less than our budget it feels great.

So far our flights are cheaper than our budget, our small endownment it healthier then we thought and a few other things are less than we planned.

We have an excellent rolling spreadsheet that hubby designed that we ammend DAILY as it links into the exchange rate. If anyone wants a copy send us a pm.

Jill

Hi Jill,

Good on ya,

I think it makes so much sense and if you factor in all the eventualities the you are not in for any nasty shocks - can't understand why everyone isn't doing this?

Max x
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was agreeing with you Hevs??

Maybye you misunderstood what I meant but I couldn't agree more

max x
Sorry Max, i agreed withyou too. I was just replying to your points raised, sorry

The last paragraph was in the way of a disclaimer and certainly not aimed at you, or anyone inparticular
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

MarkMyWords

---------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well sort of. As you said yourself in an earlier post on this thraad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTGOINGS IN THE UK......
Life insurance (must really get round to sorting this out)
Endowment
Timeshare maintainance

I'm sure many people have (probably unprofitable) endowment payments hanging round their necks when they emigrate of course, alas. Something not to overlook when budgeting, certainly!

Mark.

These are things that can only be paid for from my UK account. I have in actual fact left enough money to cover them all for the term of the endowment (10 years) (hopefully i will sort out aussie LI soon though!!)

This BTW way the first endowment, and for your information a profitable one. We sold the one that wasn't before we left

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.