Reload this Page >

Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

banjax is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living the Dream

Hi

Is anybody here living the dream? We wonder if there is a better life to be had outside of Northern Ireland. For the all the reasons that have been widely televised and for some that are not so obvious in the work place.

I work as an Network engineer and OH as a Podiatrist, we have a 2 year old daughter. We do not have a lot of family support to make us homesick.

We all enjoy outdoors activities and are seeking a rural and beach life but house prices and working culture here are still impossible. We would like to live near a medium sized city/town for access to schools, medical facilities and civilisation but ideally we would like to build a house in the long term.

Are you or is anybody you know living this dream in OZ, NZ or anywhere else?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living the Dream

Hi,

Oz is great. I lived in Johannesburg for a long time. South Africa is a beautiful country, but a very difficult place to live. Money is hard to make and doesn't go far.

London was easier to make money, but it was never quite enough to live comfortably. The houses are much smaller and more expensive, the city is very busy.

In Aus I live near the beach. Our units have a pool spa, gym and tennis courts. Great areas for walking, cycling and other outdoor activities. Great parks for kids with activities/climbing gyms/rec centres. Would not move in a hurry. At first I didnt really like it, so I went back to London after six weeks I realised what I was missing and moved back.

How you feel about where you are going, depends on where you have come from.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hi

Here is 79 pages for you to read http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...rthern+ireland

Paddy
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

We moved here a year and a half ago. I have worked as a Podiatrist in Canada, NZ and Australia. If your OH has any questions about the profession I would be happy to answer them.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

banjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Out of the three countries. Where was the best to practice in and why?

TIA
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjax
Hi

Out of the three countries. Where was the best to practice in and why?

TIA
More feet to practice on in Canada
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what your dream is about. I only dream at night and they're fairly weird - not sure I'd like to live them Life is what you make it, a move over could be brilliant for you or could be shite, there's no way of knowing - no one can tell you how or whether your dream life will live up to your expectation should you find it.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If this is the dream., I'd hate to experience the nightmare
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:58 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of people "living the dream" in Oz and NZ, but they all accepted that their dream place is a loooooong way from being perfect.

There's only one way to find out and that's by getting on that plane for as long a holiday as possible

My vote goes for South East Queensland - you can't go too far wrong there.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Is anybody here living the dream? We wonder if there is a better life to be had outside of Northern Ireland. For the all the reasons that have been widely televised and for some that are not so obvious in the work place.

I work as an Network engineer and OH as a Podiatrist, we have a 2 year old daughter. We do not have a lot of family support to make us homesick.

We all enjoy outdoors activities and are seeking a rural and beach life but house prices and working culture here are still impossible. We would like to live near a medium sized city/town for access to schools, medical facilities and civilisation but ideally we would like to build a house in the long term.

I can put it fairly succinctly, being from NI.

Its the same.... But much better weather. But then it gets to warm.

So urrrmmm, it aint a dream, it's Northern Ireland without the rain, but with flies and heat and spiders.

JTL
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I only dream at night and they're fairly weird - not sure I'd like to live them.
Yeah its the chilli oil that puts me off. Why do you dream that? Wouldn't it burn? And the possums what are they for?

JTL

Right messed up Moneypens dreans for the night
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you want in life & if you can accept Aus with all her faults (yes, life is not perfect here!)
We live in Cairns, TNQ, lovely small city, great weather except for a few months of heat & humidity in summer & the risk of cyclones. Winter is great though, especially when almost everyone else is whinging about being cold!
Tripawaymars works a s a podiatrist up here, so pm her if you are interested in knowing more!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:41 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I can put it fairly succinctly, being from NI.

Its the same.... But much better weather. But then it gets to warm.

So urrrmmm, it aint a dream, it's Northern Ireland without the rain, but with flies and heat and spiders.

JTL
Hi JTL, flip me, I never knew u were from Sunny Norn Irn too, can I be nosey and ask where you hail from!? I'm just outside Banbridge myself...
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:48 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi from a fellow Norn Irelander...we're currently still in NI but hope to be leaving around Christmas time, not sure which side of Christmas mind, but still.

The way I look at it is this: I fell in love with Oz back in 2003 and have been planning to move there ever since. Circumstances along the way and becoming settled here in NI (buying a house, getting a permanent teaching post etc) prevented me from making the move. Just short of 18 months ago I met my OH and realised he too had the same dream so we've set the wheels in motion and bish bash bosh...

People keep saying to me 'what if you don't like it?' and my answer is 'I'd rather experience it and realise it's not for me, than always wonder. If it comes to it and I return to NI (which I doubt I will) then it'll not be a tail between the legs scenario, but rather a BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, but it didn't quite work out one.'

Better to know now, than always wonder kinda thing...yes it might be an expensive mistake, but 6 years on I'm still very keen to make the move, despite the negative comments I occasionally read on here bla bla bla, I feel that it'd still be the best thing I've ever done. For you it's slightly different as you have a child and a wife to consider, so weigh up the pros and cons and decide if Northern Ireland meets all of your needs, and if it doesn't, give Australia a whirl, and fingers crossed!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I would be seriously amazed and completely dumbfounded if Australia comes anywhere close resembling to NI or any other part of Europe!

Maybe JTL is talking about his lifestyle and not the country called Australia.

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 3rd 2009 at 8:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.