Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living the dream

Living the dream

Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:10 pm
ODDBALL

Default Living the dream

At long long last our family is at the interchange of two lives, our previous one is coming to an end and the new one has partially begun with my wife and kids currently residing 12,000 Miles away in Brisbane while I finish up a few things here in the UK.
The whole Australia thing was first mentioned on one of our very first dates around 10 Years ago, the wife is an Australian citizen so it was always going to be an option and we were both very aware of that and over the last few years the allure of Oz has grown stronger and stronger until we decided to uproot ourselves and the two kids and make the move to the other side of the world without a job or a place to live and not knowing a soul.
I applied for a spouse visa earlier this year and recieved it a short while later, we then set about a trip to get the visa stamped and to get a feel for a few areas and to look at schools etc. We spent a Month in and around Brisbane mainly holidaying/touristy but also trying to take note of the important things like schools, houses and infrastructure, we finally decided that there was far too much to take in and have decided to rent for a while and see what develops from that. so thats where we are up to today, obviously there have been a few twists and turns along the way, sometimes we wondered if it was the right thing to do for us and/or the kids we wondered if we will be able to adjust (and still do) basically we questioned our own sanity, we have a comfortable life in the UK and to throw that away on a kind of pipe dream at times seemed bizarre but you have got to be in it to win it, and a million other cliches.........

So anyway, sorry if that put you to sleep, I am just a bit bored alone at home counting down the 6 days until I fly out to rejoin my wife and kids and thought I would introduce myself.

PS I am not really an oddball, nor mad...just a little surreal.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:12 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living the dream

Originally Posted by ODDBALL
At long long last our family is at the interchange of two lives, our previous one is coming to an end and the new one has partially begun with my wife and kids currently residing 12,000 Miles away in Brisbane while I finish up a few things here in the UK.
The whole Australia thing was first mentioned on one of our very first dates around 10 Years ago, the wife is an Australian citizen so it was always going to be an option and we were both very aware of that and over the last few years the allure of Oz has grown stronger and stronger until we decided to uproot ourselves and the two kids and make the move to the other side of the world without a job or a place to live and not knowing a soul.
I applied for a spouse visa earlier this year and recieved it a short while later, we then set about a trip to get the visa stamped and to get a feel for a few areas and to look at schools etc. We spent a Month in and around Brisbane mainly holidaying/touristy but also trying to take note of the important things like schools, houses and infrastructure, we finally decided that there was far too much to take in and have decided to rent for a while and see what develops from that. so thats where we are up to today, obviously there have been a few twists and turns along the way, sometimes we wondered if it was the right thing to do for us and/or the kids we wondered if we will be able to adjust (and still do) basically we questioned our own sanity, we have a comfortable life in the UK and to throw that away on a kind of pipe dream at times seemed bizarre but you have got to be in it to win it, and a million other cliches.........

So anyway, sorry if that put you to sleep, I am just a bit bored alone at home counting down the 6 days until I fly out to rejoin my wife and kids and thought I would introduce myself.

Good luck and hopefully you can rejoin your family soon!

Lucy
x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:27 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck mate and go and live your dream....hope to follow pretty soon
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:46 am
ODDBALL

Thanks and good luck to you.

Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

wezzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Living the dream

:scared:
Originally Posted by ODDBALL

Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

wezzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wezzer
:scared:
hi oddball
we moved to sydney from uk just 5 weeks ago my hubby works here now my son goes to school so they are settleing in quite well makeing new friends,
me well i dont know a soul left all my friends back in the uk, dont know any brits here and im wondering if iv have made the right move
but reading some of the other threads its common to feel scared untill you settle after all we could be in nz ,and reading the thread from that .im glad we picked sydney
p.s is there any brits in sydney who to is home sick or am i the only one here and the rest have gone back to the rainy uk.