Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in a Country you've never visited?

Living in a Country you've never visited?

Old Jun 5th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future
Default Living in a Country you've never visited?

Just wanted to know your views on this one. How many of us our moving or a moved to another counrty before going there first?
We our emigrating to Oz hopefully in Nov 05 and have never been there before, but I personaly am very much looking forward to it, and actually find it a real big buzz in the fact that I have never been before. (I know I'm wierd ) We are going in 2 weeks to validate our visas, have accepted an offer on our house today, Yeahh and then off we go on our next journey in life, myself, Andy, our 2 children, and a bit of luggage. Thats it .. a new chapter. To be honest, apart from missing family and friends, wich goes without saying, I can't wait. I don't feel happy in England any more, things and time changes. I always say, as long as you're happy, then thats whats important. But I just don't feel happy in England now, and feel its time to move on. Maybe I'll be back in GB in 5yrs time, but hey, at least I'm doing something about it, and trying to better my childrens and our lifes.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living in a Country you've never visited?

We moved out to oz at the beginning of april this year as like you we had never visited australia, myself hubby and two children turned up with just 5 large suitcases, since being here we have got children into school and nursery hubby got a job after 2 weeks rented a house on six month lease til october and now looking to buy as we dont want another rented house in october, so no regets, yes it is hard being away from family but keep telling yourself why you have left and deep down you know if you went back for the first few weeks it would be great but you would soon want to be back in oz, we are in brisbane where are you thinking of.
good luck

Originally Posted by funkybuddah
Just wanted to know your views on this one. How many of us our moving or a moved to another counrty before going there first?
We our emigrating to Oz hopefully in Nov 05 and have never been there before, but I personaly am very much looking forward to it, and actually find it a real big buzz in the fact that I have never been before. (I know I'm wierd ) We are going in 2 weeks to validate our visas, have accepted an offer on our house today, Yeahh and then off we go on our next journey in life, myself, Andy, our 2 children, and a bit of luggage. Thats it .. a new chapter. To be honest, apart from missing family and friends, wich goes without saying, I can't wait. I don't feel happy in England any more, things and time changes. I always say, as long as you're happy, then thats whats important. But I just don't feel happy in England now, and feel its time to move on. Maybe I'll be back in GB in 5yrs time, but hey, at least I'm doing something about it, and trying to better my childrens and our lifes.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Weve never been before, but we will be arriving in July 2006, just need to sell the house and get through medicals next month. We are hopefully heading for Brisbane.

I think its best to keep an open mind, no matter how much research you do, you still build up a mental image of what to expect and in reality it will probably completely different.

As long as we all work together as a family, we will settle quickly and get on with our new life.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

deano will become famous soon enoughdeano will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Living in a Country you've never visited?

it looks like you're in a very similar situation to my family, my hubby(dean), our 13 year old daughter (alyce) ang me(angi). we've all pretty much had enough of the uk and so are moving on to pastures new. we've also never been to oz before. our house sold on tuesday of last week, (only went on sale on monday) and we're planning to leave in november. where in oz have you decided to settle? we're heading to adelaide. trying to sort out removals this week, nightmare! i know it will all be worth the stress and waiting. do you have your visas already?
Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:15 am
skippy

Originally Posted by deano
it looks like you're in a very similar situation to my family, my hubby(dean), our 13 year old daughter (alyce) ang me(angi). we've all pretty much had enough of the uk and so are moving on to pastures new. we've also never been to oz before. our house sold on tuesday of last week, (only went on sale on monday) and we're planning to leave in november. where in oz have you decided to settle? we're heading to adelaide. trying to sort out removals this week, nightmare! i know it will all be worth the stress and waiting. do you have your visas already?
We came out to Oz never having been before, we always tell people, we watched Neighbours and Skippy so what else do we need to know!! No regrets at all, a lovely surprise, in some ways nothing like we envisaged! Easy for us to settle as hubby basically relocated his job. For those who are coming and have never visited I would say do it, there will always be those who say foolish!!! Everyone is different!
ViVi

Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, we are heading for Brisbane too!
Crikey, how lucky to sell your house in a day.WOW that is amazing.
Well, I'm glad its worked out for you people that have moved out there without ever going, it makes me more determined to make it work.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:39 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, we are heading for Brisbane too!
Crikey, how lucky to sell your house in a day.WOW that is amazing.
Well, I'm glad its worked out for you people that have moved out there without ever going, it makes me more determined to make it work.
Hi

We've never been toOz either but are intending to move out as soon as we get the visa (just waiting) and get a buyer for the house. So hopefully soon....tMe, hubby (Rich) and 2 girls Aimee 9 and Georgia who is 18mths.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you heading, have you decided on an area yet... suburb etc.
We are heading for Bayside, Alexandra Hills, Wellington Point,Birkdale etc...

Good Luck
Ang
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hi

We've never been toOz either but are intending to move out as soon as we get the visa (just waiting) and get a buyer for the house. So hopefully soon....tMe, hubby (Rich) and 2 girls Aimee 9 and Georgia who is 18mths.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you heading, have you decided on an area yet... suburb etc.

Good Luck
Ang
Hi Angie
Not 100% sure yet, but we seem to be drawn to Helensvale, Coomera at the moment, but will see when we get out there in a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Good Luck
Ang
Oh meant to wishyou good luck on your visas and house sell too.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Bumberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in a Country you've never visited?

We arrived here in Ormiston Brisbane back in April 2004 because we were also fed up of the UK. We have 3 children Charlotte 15, Katherine 9 and Harry who's now 3. I miss my family and friends but it's been the best move of my life.........there's so much for the kids to do and the weather is just fantastic.

There's a lot of British and South African people in the bayside, and we have found it to be a very friendly place to live. The nice places to live here in the bayside is Wellington Point, Birkdale, Cleveland , Ormiston. My advice on buying property here is that get something that doesn't need alot of work doing because the cost of pools and landscaping can be a bit of a shock.

There are some great schools in the area whether they be state, private or catholic (you don't have to be catholic).

Best of luck on your move if you want any info on the area just ask.
Kim

Hi

Good Luck
Ang
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:54 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

All i would say is if you can afford to do so.....travel around a bit and don't buy the first house you fall in love with....it's a big country and i think house price increases are a thing of the past for quite some time ......housing market stagnant in most places ,falling in others......
Old Jun 6th 2005, 6:23 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Angie
Not 100% sure yet, but we seem to be drawn to Helensvale, Coomera at the moment, but will see when we get out there in a couple of weeks.

Hi Guys,
We're in Upper Coomera (between Helensvale and Coomera). I take it you know it's about an hour from Brisbane? We arrived a few months ago - never been to Oz before! I like it here and it's a good location if you don't exactly know if you prefer the Gold Coast or Brisbane. PM me if you have any questions or want a chat with a mad Scots lass when you arrive...if this area is where you choose to be! All the best...it's a mad but fun adventure awaits you. Colette x
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Can I be honest? I think you're very brave taking this huge risk. Husband had never been to aus before we went out in August 2004 and he admits there were some things he liked, other things he didn't (he was quite vocal about the stuff he didn't like)! It certainly made him appreciate the UK more. However, that aside, I read somewhere that migrants who come to aus without any previous experience of the country are more likely to stay permanently than those of us who have visited several times? Important thing is not to compare countries as they're both different. It isn't a sunnier version of the UK, in fact it can be very dry and barren and you long for rain to make it green and lush again! Also, are you aware that Coomera is where all the major theme parks are? My advice is to land, get a 4WD, a tent and go camping/travelling for a few weeks with the kids, that way you'll get to do some of the touristy things. You'll say to yourself "I've got the rest of my life to explore this country", but when your tied to a house, mortgage repayments and work its very difficult. Millets have got a sale on tents at the moment! good luck!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the plumber
All i would say is if you can afford to do so.....travel around a bit and don't buy the first house you fall in love with....it's a big country and i think house price increases are a thing of the past for quite some time ......housing market stagnant in most places ,falling in others......
sound advice plumber! We travelled with the kids and had a fab time (in our little hyundai getz, 3 kids and a leaking 4 man tent)! We saw some fantastic places to live, a lot cheaper and towns that didn't feel 'cramped'. Good experience for the kids too!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:31 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

we have also never been to aus and hope to arrive in sep.
i dont think you can tell where you want to live by visiting i think you would really need to live there first to find out if it is really for you.
we are going to look at coomera and bayside areas when we get there but ultimatly depends on where there will be work for mark we have a 7yr old boy and he's really looking forward to going and im sure it will be much better for kids to enjoy the outdoors lifestyle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.