19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by Beoz
Exactly. You can pay well over £4-£5 for a pint in London and as they say perhaps $9 in Perth. Providing you're not a tourist spending £££ on the 1.6 rate and you followed the 2.3-2.5 rule when migrating then what's the diff?????
In order to get a comparison you are having to look at the most expensive city in the UK. The OP wanted to compaire UK to Australia. I live in London but was back in Manchester a week or so ago and I got 2 pints for £3.75. Now if you come from there I'm sure that you will find prices in most Australian cities a shock.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
In order to get a comparison you are having to look at the most expensive city in the UK. The OP wanted to compaire UK to Australia. I live in London but was back in Manchester a week or so ago and I got 2 pints for £3.75. Now if you come from there I'm sure that you will find prices in most Australian cities a shock.
Comparing Whetherspoons to the ritzy bar in Perth doesn't count either
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:32 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Exactly. You can pay well over £4-£5 for a pint in London and as they say perhaps $9 in Perth. Providing you're not a tourist spending £££ on the 1.6 rate and you followed the 2.3-2.5 rule when migrating then what's the diff?????

That's another factor, the place where you live, i the above post mentions this, but take cheap pints in a Weatherspoons, why pints of beer, or lager keep getting mentioned as an example I don't know, but major cities are obviously dearer. Using the 2.3 rate, we found the cost of living to be almost the same, if anything Australia was slightly dearer, for food, but nothing dramatic.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, where we lived near Brisbane we still had to pay WAY more for a pint than here, as much as it would be in a swanky pub in London.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:36 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, but Perth is closer to London than Manchester, etc. Perth is a very rich, expanding city. Manchester is, well... And we all know Australia (thankfully) has higher booze prices. We could look at the price of steak as well, and a million other things for balance.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Comparing Whetherspoons to the ritzy bar in Perth doesn't count either
It wasn't wetherspoons.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't wetherspoons.
Why would it matter if it was?

The average Weatherspoons is vastly better than the majority of pubs I have been to in Australia.....and sells far better beer.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

this is what i said though ....... i pay more for a pint anywhere on this little peninsula than i would in the middle of London ....... that is WRONG whatever way you try to dress it up as
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
It is but so is paying five quid for a Guinness in London which I have done many times.
It is not just London.
Try £4 a 3330ml bottle of Morretti or Messina at Jamie's "Affordable" Italian Restaurant chain.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
It is not just London.
Try £4 a 3330ml bottle of Morretti or Messina at Jamie's "Affordable" Italian Restaurant chain.
Who, in their right minds, would go there for a drink?

We are talking about everyday pub prices in Australia.....musrt be about the most expensive country for a drink in the world......with the worst beer
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

We are talking about everyday pub prices in Australia.....musrt be about the most expensive country for a drink in the world......with the worst beer
Well the fact that the chain is always full lends one to believe people do, and forgive me I thought the title and the post I quoted reflected expense in both countries?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:23 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

Alcohol should be much more expensive even in Australia. Booze cheaper than water is pretty outrageous and the pound a pint phenomenon has caused more damage to town centres than the Luftwaffe.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
It is not just London.
That sounds more than reasonable for a 3.3 litre bottle
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Zen10
Alcohol should be much more expensive even in Australia. Booze cheaper than water is pretty outrageous and the pound a pint phenomenon has caused more damage to town centres than the Luftwaffe.
Being much more expensive in Australia hasnt stopped all the alcohol related issues in that country so cheap or expensive doesnt seem to matter really.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:20 am
Banned

All I can say is PERSONALLY we are finding it cheaper here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.