a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by Alfresco
http://www.distancefromto.net/distan...United+Kingdom

London to Brisbane is a bit more 16 544.60 km. Handy website methinks.

Fetcham to Kenmore is 16 571.28 km.

16,620.41kms from home town to home town.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think the incredible thing is that say 10 years ago the difference between the 2 countries was huge in Australias favour but now overall there is nothing in it.
10 years ago I was earning pounds and banking a lot. Now that's was I'm doing earning the $A
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:35 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think the incredible thing is that say 10 years ago the difference between the 2 countries was huge in Australias favour but now overall there is nothing in it.
I agree, but my reading of the economy is that the shit hasn't even started to hit the fan in Britain yet and this may widen the gap, even with the inevitable recession looming in Australia.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I agree, but my reading of the economy is that the shit hasn't even started to hit the fan in Britain yet and this may widen the gap, even with the inevitable recession looming in Australia.
Each year someone says 'oh yes but the worst is yet to come'. Glass half empty or half full, mine has always been half full.
It may widen the gap or it may close it even more, none of us know that's for sure. All I can say is that in the last 10 or 12 years the gap has closed almost completely from being VERY wide.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:59 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

pfffffttttt
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to everyone for all your comments,

We were due to fly out next month but have put it all on hold as really not sure what to do.

Don't want to end up in a lovely sunny place but struggling to have a reasonable lifestyle due to everything costing so much.

Work wise I have no job offer so will need to find something in the IT field but I have been told that its not looking to good with all the redundancies.

Is it really worth the risk / expense ?

All the best
Phil & Family
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:43 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Phil K

We were due to fly out next month but have put it all on hold as really not sure what to do.

Don't want to end up in a lovely sunny place but struggling to have a reasonable lifestyle due to everything costing so much.

Work wise I have no job offer so will need to find something in the IT field but I have been told that its not looking to good with all the redundancies.

All the best
Phil & Family

Can't you fly out to Australia on your own and try and secure a job?

Best of lck.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:35 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im afraid nobody else can tell you whether it is worth the risk and expense. There is no doubt jobs are getting much harder to come by and few will disagree that with the current bout of Government redundancies in several States we are yet to see just how bad things will get. Personally I would wait and see, if you can get a good secure job then reassess things.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 4:21 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

and why sunshine coast? why not other places that probably have higher chances of you getting a job?
Old Sep 29th 2012, 4:31 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

AUSTRALIA IS A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY BUT ITS TOO F00KIN EXPENSIVE

END OF THREAD
Old Sep 29th 2012, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
and why sunshine coast? why not other places that probably have higher chances of you getting a job?
Agreed....to be honest I reckon Sunshine Coast too transient a place to do some types of work..just a feeling...
Old Sep 29th 2012, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Can't you fly out to Australia on your own and try and secure a job?

Best of lck.
I fully agree. Do not come out with your family without a job. Jobs are harder to get than the adverts in Emigration press suggest, plus I found that the approach of job agencies in Aus was more boastful (in terms of promising work, being positive about your chances, etc) than the UK.
Don't come out with a family and no job.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

All the best
Phil & Family

Risk is something successful people do. Expense is something you pay one off. Only you can decide if both together will put you where you want to be in 5 10 20 years time

r
Old Sep 29th 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

All the best
Phil & Family
I think going to the sunshine coast hoping to get work in IT is a massive risk. If you want to move but want to minimise risk then you need to go where the jobs are. We really liked the look of the Whitsundays, but too bad, we knew we had to go to Sydney as we need to work.

I think you are right to pause and reconsider, I would recommend you spend some time investigating Sydney or Melbourne. Sunshine Coast is a great place for a holiday.

I voted for a bit more expensive, it is not so expensive that I wish we had not moved here.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 4:22 am
Daffyd Duck

and sydney has many nice beaches!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.