a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I bet your a right good shag when your drunk.
Sorry, Im already married.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Yup, depends what you're used too in the UK and if that agrees with where you live in Oz. After working in London, studying/living in Nottingham and living in North Kent I can honestly say that Brisbane is a tiny little backwater and backwards village. It has no appeal to me and sometimes wish I'd never met the wife.

As for dining out I found UK much cheaper and the food of better quality in pubs and small restuarants. AHL owned taverns in Brissy generally have mediocre food at not particularly cheap prices.

Steak is much better in Oz for flavour tho as they don't feed the cow anti-biotics to fatten them up.
We are certainly finding eating out here to be cheaper and the variety and quality is amazing.

They actually do feed antibiotics to cows in Australia, the same as here and the US. Personally I think it is hard to beat Scottish beef but most of it comes down to the cooking. The best steak I have ever eaten was in a pub in Avoncliffe in Somerset (?).
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
My post about when I shopped in Tesco and Coles and then worked out according to average wage was objective and based on figures not experience. I'll be honest I was half expecting the UK to come out cheaper and would have posted so if that was the result, but what really pushed it over was meat and petrol (I filled up a 52 litre tank), so I guess if you're a vegetarian cyclist the UK might be cheaper on the average wage.

Unlike a few others here who really have nailed their colours to the mast in favour of one country or the other I have maintained from the beginning that I love both countries, have lived and will again live in both countries and that both countries have pros and cons. I'm quite looking forward to spending a few years back in England but I want to wait until we have more money because we want to rent somewhere nice there. I presume the motivation of those constantly carping on about how one nation is superior to the other are experiencing self-doubt and are trying to convince themselves more than other posters.
I'd be a happier bunny in Melbourne but still reckon the housing is the worst thing here. Petrol ain't great here but on a COL basis it's not much better than the UK. Meat is still cheap if you go to the local market or butchers in the UK but again on COL is probably a bit more expensive that Oz.

One thing that totally pisses me off is how comes the same airline company using the same partners and exact same route will cost an Australian a third more than a UK person? Last time I looked (april 2012). No matter the FX rate flights outta Oz always are more expensive than flights into Oz and until someone can show me the account books on these companies I'll never think it more than blatant profiteering. I miss my family and friends in the UK and having such exorbitant airfares makes it hard to go see them every few years. If I was on an average wage I'd never see them.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:10 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

You can get great steaks here in the UK, but you will have to pay for them, the steaks in the US are the biggest and cheapest, the steaks in Australia are big and cheap, but there's still some great steaks to be had here in the UK.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:12 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
I'd be a happier bunny in Melbourne but still reckon the housing is the worst thing here. Petrol ain't great here but on a COL basis it's not much better than the UK. Meat is still cheap if you go to the local market or butchers in the UK but again on COL is probably a bit more expensive that Oz.

One thing that totally pisses me off is how comes the same airline company using the same partners and exact same route will cost an Australian a third more than a UK person? Last time I looked (april 2012). No matter the FX rate flights outta Oz always are more expensive than flights into Oz and until someone can show me the account books on these companies I'll never think it more than blatant profiteering. I miss my family and friends in the UK and having such exorbitant airfares makes it hard to go see them every few years. If I was on an average wage I'd never see them.
The flight tickets thing is outrageous and I can't believe there isn't more of a fuss made by Australians. Perhaps they just don't know how much they are ripped off.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

the steaks in Australia are big and cheap.
Where

I've never found a cheap steak here which is worth eating
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:35 am
Banned

You can get great steaks here in the UK, but you will have to pay for them, the steaks in the US are the biggest and cheapest, the steaks in Australia are big and cheap, but there's still some great steaks to be had here in the UK.
I must admit I have had to pay for steaks wherever I am
Good steak anywhere is not cheap in my experience.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
The flight tickets thing is outrageous and I can't believe there isn't more of a fuss made by Australians. Perhaps they just don't know how much they are ripped off.
Aussies don't. They just pay it. I now book my flights to Singapore, then book a new flight from Singapore to London and same in reverse. Works out ...... wait for it ....... cheaper (please define)
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:37 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Aussies don't. They just pay it. I now book my flights to Singapore, then book a new flight from Singapore to London and same in reverse. Works out ...... wait for it ....... cheaper (please define)
Do you find the saving is worth it?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:48 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit I have had to pay for steaks wherever I am
Good steak anywhere is not cheap in my experience.

America is the place, huge steaks, cheap, loads of extras, you can't beat it,
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

America is the place, huge steaks, cheap, loads of extras, you can't beat it,
If you like steak Each to their own
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The best steak in the world will only taste great if it is cooked properly and Poms and Aussies haven't got a f**king clue how to do that.

Hopeless.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The best steak in the world will only taste great if it is cooked properly and Poms and Aussies haven't got a f**king clue how to do that.

Hopeless.
....and South Africans can't afford so it so we are all buggered
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and South Africans can't afford so it so we are all buggered
The ones who live in Australia can
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The ones who live in Australia can
....but then they stick it on a gas barbecue and ruin it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.