a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by Zen10
It got very expensive all at once when they crashed Sterling.
Nothing to do with that.

I moved a lot of money over here when the rate was 2.5 and earn an Australian salary.....and it is still ridiculously expensive to live here now.....and I am not exactly poor
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:30 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We had 3 pub meals last week, more than we had in 12 years in Brisbane. I love the pubs
The last British pub I was in we got told to stop tapping our hands on the table to the music. And then there was the pub in the last town I lived in in which we were totally ignored by all the locals for the entire four years we went in there. It was like something out of the League of Gentlemen.

Having said that, I do love London pubs an awful lot and miss them.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:33 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nothing to do with that.
It is an unavoidable fact of international trade, an accepted part of history and a law of economics. When the rate changed the Pom's 250k bought him a 675k house and now it buys him a 370k a house and we all have ti listen to him whine about how Australian houses suddenly got more expensive.

Obviously saying the exchange rate has "nothing to do with that" is ridiculous and you're just winding people up on here because you're bored or something.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It is an unavoidable fact of international trade, an accepted part of history and a law of economics. When the rate changed the Pom's 250k bought him a 675k house and now it buys him a 370k a house and we all have ti listen to him whine about how Australian houses suddenly got more expensive.

Obviously saying the exchange rate has "nothing to do with that" is ridiculous and you're just winding people up on here because you're bored or something.
The exchange rate has nothing to do with me.....I brought money here when the rate was 2.5....I still find houses stupidly expensive compared to what I can get in the UK....In Oxford or Cambridge (where my family are) not some northern town.

I could buy another house for cash in either country but will not pay the ridiculous prices here
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:39 am
Banned

The exchange rate has nothing to do with me.....I brought money here when the rate was 2.5....I still find houses stupidly expensive compared to what I can get in the UK....In Oxford or Cambridge (where my family are) not some northern town.

I could buy another house for cash in either country but will not pay the ridiculous prices here
You must do what you must do to make yourself happy.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It got very expensive all at once when they crashed Sterling, as we have already noted. Relative to Australian wages there has just been the usual inflation.
How does that work ? I wasnt buying groceries in Brisbane with sterling Careful you dont get sand in your eyes
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:42 am
Bitter and twisted

You must do what you must do to make yourself happy.
I will be happy wherever I am.....but stop making silly comparisons between a hick town like Adelaide and an expensive part of Britain.

House prices in any of the proper Australian cities is far higher than Most British ones
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The last British pub I was in we got told to stop tapping our hands on the table to the music. And then there was the pub in the last town I lived in in which we were totally ignored by all the locals for the entire four years we went in there. It was like something out of the League of Gentlemen.
Thats awful, I'm doing my best to find a bad pub but there are only so many hours in the day
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by chris955
Thats awful, I'm doing my best to find a bad pub but there are only so many hours in the day
Indeed.....when I was there a few weeks ago I made a real pig of myself

It was so nice to be back among the living
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:46 am
Banned

I really dont see how Sterling has anything to do with this unless for some odd reason Aussies are spending £'s in Coles
http://mozo.com.au/savings-accounts/...imit/801453743

It's impossible to ignore the facts "Now experts are predicting that food prices will increase sharply in 2013 – adding even more pressure to Aussies' already stretched finances.". None of this means Australia is a bad place to live, it can in fact be a wonderful place to live, albeit expensive.

Last edited by chris955; Oct 5th 2012 at 11:50 am.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That's pretty much the same (or has been claimed) in all countries I have lived in so far - S.A. UK, Oz. Nothing new really.

House prices are subject to supply and demand forces, like most things.

Overpriced by 300%.
As an example, in a complex of some 200 1970's, maybe 80's, townhouses. Main living/bedroom/kitchen/bathroom area around 48m2. With garage and small bit of fenced grass to make it square the entire property no more than 64m2. 8-9yrs ago this was selling for $40-50k depending on the usual.
Now they go for between $220-260k. That is absurd for the size of the place and hence why I say that a large amount of houses are overpriced by 300%. I look at what they are and what they've had done to them and there selling price far outstripes there ACTUAL value.
In the UK you can still pick up properties for reasonable prices compared to 10 yrs ago. True there was a retarded period b4 the GFC where prices were stupidly high but my parents detached 4 bedroom in a nice area and nice gardens front and back was bought in the mid 80's for 37k and is now with all the nice work done to it only worth 120-140k.
House prices here have gone stupid in the last 5-6years but it's only if you can remember what they were like that you can draw a comparison. Fortunately I have a very good memory for plane fares, house prices, clothing prices etc and normal growth etc aside Oz has got very expensive very quickly.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.....when I was there a few weeks ago I made a real pig of myself

It was so nice to be back among the living
I soooooooooooooooooo miss UK pubs and bars. Melbourne is pretty good for bars but Brisbane taverns have as much atmosphere as a morgue. Even those made to look like an irish or UK pub manage to not pull it off.

Some small village pubs have locals that don't like 'different' in their watering hole. Always been like that.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by denzil73
Fortunately I have a very good memory for plane fares, house prices, clothing prices etc and normal growth etc aside Oz has got very expensive very quickly.
You obviously some new rose tints urgently
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by denzil73
Some small village pubs have locals that don't like 'different' in their watering hole. Always been like that.
Plenty 'different' in most Queensland pubs
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

You obviously some new rose tints urgently
Sometimes I wish I were dumber so I didn't see connections and correlations so easily but I do and the way things are I need some inch thick rose tinted glasses son

As for 'different' in QLD pubs. Did you mean bogan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.