a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
This is what I meant..for some, insurance is cheaper....add on rego and they're about the same....you can't say that UK 'is cheaper'.
I wasn't. I was saying that Aus was cheaper (for me) to keep the car on the road. Once I actually had the car on my drive, it was cheaper.

But my 1997 Hilux is worth about 2000 GBP, and about 15000 AUD.
My 2010 Hilux is worth 18000 GBP, and about 45000 AUD. (if they sold a comparable model).

So the initial outlay is more (but you get that back once you sell it).

and we've covered BMWs and Mercs are a lot more expensive, VWs can be cheaper. You've also got the local Commadore/Falcon/Magna/Camry for cheap motoring.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Can you say Australia 'is cheaper'?
No, or are you being funny he he... I can't be sure, overall. I think both countries are expensive compared to say the US.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 16th 2012 at 1:40 am.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
I wasn't. I was saying that Aus was cheaper (for me) to keep the car on the road. Once I actually had the car on my drive, it was cheaper.

But my 1997 Hilux is worth about 2000 GBP, and about 15000 AUD.
My 2010 Hilux is worth 18000 GBP, and about 45000 AUD. (if they sold a comparable model).

So the initial outlay is more (but you get that back once you sell it).

and we've covered BMWs and Mercs are a lot more expensive, VWs can be cheaper. You've also got the local Commadore/Falcon/Magna/Camry for cheap motoring.
It's ok, I could see that. I wanted to start out by saying this emphasises the fact you have to be careful that the UK must surely be 'cheaper'.
The poll....Chris's point.

I only made the point about costs balancing somewhat as it seems that insurance is 'cheaper' but road tax is not.

Your point still stands.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 16th 2012 at 1:41 am.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:49 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
No, or are you being funny he he... I can't be sure, overall. I think both countries are expensive compared to say the US.
The nominal prices in retail are lower in the US, but this does not make it less expensive in my opinion.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:59 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

things are also cheaper in mumbai and manila.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zen10
The nominal prices in retail are lower in the US, but this does not make it less expensive in my opinion.
If truth be told, beyond visiting, I haven't lived there so I don't really know beyond anecdotal evidence what things can cost. The stuff I have personally imported seems 'cheap'. Visitors to us say Australian food grocery prices are high - no surprise there.

I can't help but notice that in many countries prices are maybe converging, I've been to places in Latin America and then discovered that I couldn't live like a King after all!

Originally Posted by commonwealth
So it all depends.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
So are salaries ..... for what it's worth, for what we did pay them $200,000 in AU we pay them $48,000 AU in Manila
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
For me :-

Aus / UK
2010 Hilux / 1997 Hilux
Rego - $550 / road tax - £210 (would be $400+ for the newer car).
Insurance - $500 / £600+

But I can't afford, just yet, to replace the SLK and S2000, as new cars are so expensive.
Why would your insurance be so much in the UK ? I COULD pay £1000 if I wanted to but I choose to pay well under £300, since found it for £235 but will wait until next year now. Add on rego and it comes out way more expensive in Australia FOR ME.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So are salaries ..... for what it's worth, for what we did pay them $200,000 in AU we pay them $48,000 AU in Manila
We have an office in Manila and we do pay them a lot less. It only works though because we also have some expats up there, making decisions and ensuring that we get what we need out of them. Thing is, these expats probably cost a couple of $m to keep there, which kind of negates any cost savings. Without them though, it would be a disaster (one of the expats recently left and in the month or so that it took to replace him, you should have seen the shite that they sent us).

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 16th 2012 at 8:07 am.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Bananas from overseas ( foreign - read vile, disease ridden & unaustralian according to local popular media ) can be sold in Australia - however the government imposes such extensive import conditions ( for the reason you mention ) that no one can be bothered importing bananas into Australia.
They had similar smear campaigns with several food items when we were there, the absurd belief that if it isnt locally grown it will in all likelyhood kill you or at the very least make you very sick.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:04 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Does anyone know how much adult massage toys cost in Australia compared to the UK?

And if we bring our own will the Australian border forces pick them up on X Ray?

And I suggest NOT having them in your hand luggage
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:21 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Does anyone know how much adult massage toys cost in Australia compared to the UK?

And if we bring our own will the Australian border forces pick them up on X Ray?
If your're talking about dildo's and the like 'battery removed' it doesn't matter if they find it on xray.
No vegetables though for obvious quarantine reasons.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:13 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

you could always smuggle them in about your "person".
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
you could always smuggle them in about your "person".
Sounds terribly sore, a bit like that which gets rubbed red raw when sitting on a surf board for the first time.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zen10
Now your being ridiculous. I was in the US last year. We drove from Sacramento to San Diego and inland to Vegas, before stopping off for a few nights in NYC on the way ho,e. You could buy an entire Starbucks franchise in the USA for the cost of a skinny capucinno in Perth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.