Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

living costs/expenses turramurra area (North Shore Area)

living costs/expenses turramurra area (North Shore Area)

Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default living costs/expenses turramurra area (North Shore Area)

Hi Guys

We are moving shortly to the turramurra area and we were hoping there were some guys on here who have moved there recently or are from there.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 infants- 6 months and 3 years).
We know that there are many posts on here about costs of living in Oz but there are all so different in many ways.
We would like specifics for our type of family in this general area. Sorry if I am asking too much.

We would need 2 cars (although for the first 6 months or so we could manage with one) and they can be second hand. so looking for running costs for these, insurance, petrol, road tax etc.

We have budget of around 700 (could stretch to 750) per week for rental. Is this realistic for the area? We would not be buying for at least a year or more. Does this mean we won't have council tax, water tax etc.??

We would need childcare costs for one as the older one will be going to school by the time the other little one is ready to leave the nest to go to kindergarten. By the way what is the age that kiddies go to school in Oz?

We don't watch a lot of tv so we would get the smallest tv package available or maybe even not at all as we only watch movies on dvds mostly. I catch up with the news online. The little ones have there dora and peppa pig dvd's.

We would hopefully want somewhere with a decent airco/heating system so would this have a big effect on electricity. How much should we be looking at for electricity costs, gas costs?

My wife will be travelling to the cbd for work so needs a yearly travel card. I will be driving. Any idea of costs of these travel cards.

House insurance, groceries, phone costs (we might just get top-up mobiles but not if it is cheaper the other way)?

Do you have to pay for tv licence in Oz?

Are there any other costs that we might have missed. At this stage we are not considering costs of holidays, eating out, cinema, lunch money, beer money, new clothes, family excursions. If any of you have costs of these though feel free to post. We will have a look at these costs after all the major expenses to see how much we would have left over for these.

I know I am asking a lot here but any ideas at all would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited by soulrebel; Jan 19th 2010 at 6:28 am.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: living costs/expenses turramurra area

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned turramurra in my title as that has narrowed down the amount of replies I will probably get.
If a mod could change it to upper north shore or north shore area that might make it more appealing to possible posters.
Thanks again and sorry for the trouble.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm a Dub living in Turramurra so I will try and help with your queries!

First of all, do you really need two cars? We are in North Turramurra so about 20 minutes walk to the train station (OH commutes to the CBD daily). He usually gets the local bus to/from the station (takes 5 minutes) but sometimes walks. Parking at Turramurra station is pretty limited, so a second car might spend a lot of time in your drive! We have been here for 2 1/2 years (18 months in St. Ives and a year in Turramurra) and we manage with one. Yes, at times it would be convenient to run two (we have three kids to ferry around) but I don't want to spend the money tbh. Anyway, costs. We paid $390 this year for our "green slip" (compulsory third party insurance that everyone has to have), $800 for full comp insurance on top of that and registration costs were $270 for the year. If you're buying second hand cars head down the Parramatte Road. Petrol costs are obviously a personal thing. Always remember to fill up on a Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning as petrol is significantly cheaper then (yeah, I thought the person who told me that was mad too when I got here but it can cost 10/12c a litre more on Thursday so worth doing!).

You should get a 3 bed rental for that money around here, but it won't be too flash. If you're coming from a 3 bed semi in Tallaght you'll be made up, if you're coming from Dublin 4 you'll turn your nose up! A friend has been looking in the area recently with a top budget of $650 and I've seen a few with her so I have some up to date info! Houses in South Turramurra are generally a little bit cheaper than Turramurra/North Turramurra, especially if you go right down towards the Coonamara Parkway but that takes you a long way from the station. My friend has rented a house in North Turramurra for $630 a week - three beds and a pool (unusual to get a pool for that money). It's a bit old fashioned, and the kitchen is small and dark, but it's spotlessly clean with decent living space and a good garden for kids and dog. We saw a couple in South Turramurra - one for $600 that was small, but freshly painted with nice stripped floor boards, and one for $750 which was nice, with a pool, but over her budget. You won't have to pay rates as a renter, you will probably have to pay something towards your water (generally you pay over a certain amount of usage).

I can't help you with childcare losts for your little one as mine were older when we arrived. I paid $42 a day for a pre-school attached to a private school - I think you might find cheaper, but not by much. What visa are you coming on? If you're on a 457 you will have to pay for your children to attend public schools (approx $4,700 a year each I think), with a PR visa you just pay the same parental contribution of a few hundred dollars a year as everyone else. If you want a Catholic education there are plenty of Catholic systemic schools around, fees were around $2,000 per year last time I looked. Kids must start school in the year in which they turn 6 (school year starts end of January), they can start the year in which they turn 5 as long as they will be 5 by 31st July (NSW public schools - private schools vary with a lot insisting on 5 by April).

Foxtel starts from $60 a month and it's crap. We didn't bother getting it again when we moved; get a set top box and you can get the "free to view" tv channels. Channels 7 and 10 have series such as Desperate Housewives, Lost etc. if you're that way inclined SBS has decent news and more series stuff. The quality of tv here is pretty poor, but there are plenty of other things to do instead!

I just looked at our electricity bills for you (5 bed house with lots of open plan so hard to heat!). We haven't got air con - I prefer fans personally - our hot water is gas as is our hob and our last bill was $400 for the quarter, the Winter quarter was $500 (interesting that our first bill here Feb-May was only $245 - I knew electricity had gone up a lot but that seems massive and I can't think what's different apart from the obvious fan heaters in Winter).

Do be aware that Sydney gets COLD - the first year you will be wandering around in a jumper astonished at people wearing coats and scarves, the second year you'll join them. It is often warmer outside than in as houses here tend to have NO insulation and insufficient heating - the Australians flatly refuse to accept that Winter happens each year. I have never been so cold in my life since growing up in Dublin in a house with similar heating arrangements - i.e. a couple of open fires and a mother who wouldn't let us turn on any other heaters as they cost too much to run only this time I'm the mother telling my kids to put another jumper on!!. If you're running a reverse cycle air con system for heating double the electricity bill above, at least.

I think OH pays around $60 a week for his train ticket from Turramurra to the city, he's not here to ask.

Phew - I think that's about all of your questions. Let me know if you want to know anything else. A word of caution - in my humble opinion Sydney is just about the nicest city on earth to live in, and it's a brilliant place to raise your kids, but it is EXPENSIVE. OH dropped a third from his salary (London city) on arrival and still hasn't made it back despite being in a similar, senior, IT role here. House prices aren't as mad as Dublin (pre crash of course), but if you have any aspirations to a 4 bed with a pool around here entry level is around $900k. Within ten minutes walk of the station on the North side think at least $1.2. The good stuff - it's a lovely leafy suburb with the stunning Ku-ring-gai national park just up the road. You can get to Mona Vale beach in 20 minutes. There are plenty of local shops and restaurants/cafes (North Turramurra shops are particularly nice and friendly) and a lot of choice of schools/childcare. Being on the train line means you can access the city easily and there is lots of family friendly stuff going on. All in all it's a great place to live.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

ThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura about

wow, wonderful and a lots of information, Thanks so much, your post educate me for Sydney expense.

I'm also planing to find job at Sydney around April or August (for me is only 1 to go down and find job first. if I get job, I will bring my wife to here). I just got my 175 Grant last week.

So for me, I think initial expense will be cheaper. I think I don't need car within first few months.

I'm from South East Asean Coutry, and I've plan to look flat around Hornsby Area, (which is nearly 1 hour away from Wynyard by CityRail isn't it). Hope Hornsby Area will be more cheaper

Thanks again.

Last edited by ThKmOZ; Jan 20th 2010 at 1:56 am.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned turramurra in my title as that has narrowed down the amount of replies I will probably get.
If a mod could change it to upper north shore or north shore area that might make it more appealing to possible posters.
Thanks again and sorry for the trouble.
Best way to get it changed quicker is to actually Report your own thread (with the exclamation mark button) - otherwise ou have to wait for one of us to be interested enough to read it

I'll fix it for you now
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Best way to get it changed quicker is to actually Report your own thread (with the exclamation mark button) - otherwise ou have to wait for one of us to be interested enough to read it

I'll fix it for you now
Thanks Pollyana. Didn't know that. It should attract a wider audience now hopefully.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Pollyana. Didn't know that. It should attract a wider audience now hopefully.
Daycare is around 70 -90 a day 8.30 to 6.30 ish with food for under school ages in that area, preshool is limited hours (9-3) and around 45 dollars plus and they must be aged 3 and over.

I have seen quite a few houses with 3 beds in Turramurra very near the station and decent ac for 700. There are more without AC though, personally I find it too hot without and too cold without heating but that's me....

HTH
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And I now know where Turramurra is - the only reason I clicked on the trhead was pure curiosity
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery

First of all, do you really need two cars? We are in North Turramurra so about 20 minutes walk to the train station (OH commutes to the CBD daily). He usually gets the local bus to/from the station (takes 5 minutes) but sometimes walks. Parking at Turramurra station is pretty limited, so a second car might spend a lot of time in your drive! We have been here for 2 1/2 years (18 months in St. Ives and a year in Turramurra) and we manage with one. Yes, at times it would be convenient to run two (we have three kids to ferry around) but I don't want to spend the money tbh. Anyway, costs. We paid $390 this year for our "green slip" (compulsory third party insurance that everyone has to have), $800 for full comp insurance on top of that and registration costs were $270 for the year. If you're buying second hand cars head down the Parramatte Road. Petrol costs are obviously a personal thing. Always remember to fill up on a Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning as petrol is significantly cheaper then (yeah, I thought the person who told me that was mad too when I got here but it can cost 10/12c a litre more on Thursday so worth doing!).

You should get a 3 bed rental for that money around here, but it won't be too flash. If you're coming from a 3 bed semi in Tallaght you'll be made up, if you're coming from Dublin 4 you'll turn your nose up! A friend has been looking in the area recently with a top budget of $650 and I've seen a few with her so I have some up to date info! Houses in South Turramurra are generally a little bit cheaper than Turramurra/North Turramurra, especially if you go right down towards the Coonamara Parkway but that takes you a long way from the station. My friend has rented a house in North Turramurra for $630 a week - three beds and a pool (unusual to get a pool for that money). It's a bit old fashioned, and the kitchen is small and dark, but it's spotlessly clean with decent living space and a good garden for kids and dog. We saw a couple in South Turramurra - one for $600 that was small, but freshly painted with nice stripped floor boards, and one for $750 which was nice, with a pool, but over her budget. You won't have to pay rates as a renter, you will probably have to pay something towards your water (generally you pay over a certain amount of usage).

I can't help you with childcare losts for your little one as mine were older when we arrived. I paid $42 a day for a pre-school attached to a private school - I think you might find cheaper, but not by much. What visa are you coming on? If you're on a 457 you will have to pay for your children to attend public schools (approx $4,700 a year each I think), with a PR visa you just pay the same parental contribution of a few hundred dollars a year as everyone else. If you want a Catholic education there are plenty of Catholic systemic schools around, fees were around $2,000 per year last time I looked. Kids must start school in the year in which they turn 6 (school year starts end of January), they can start the year in which they turn 5 as long as they will be 5 by 31st July (NSW public schools - private schools vary with a lot insisting on 5 by April).

Foxtel starts from $60 a month and it's crap. We didn't bother getting it again when we moved; get a set top box and you can get the "free to view" tv channels. Channels 7 and 10 have series such as Desperate Housewives, Lost etc. if you're that way inclined SBS has decent news and more series stuff. The quality of tv here is pretty poor, but there are plenty of other things to do instead!

I just looked at our electricity bills for you (5 bed house with lots of open plan so hard to heat!). We haven't got air con - I prefer fans personally - our hot water is gas as is our hob and our last bill was $400 for the quarter, the Winter quarter was $500 (interesting that our first bill here Feb-May was only $245 - I knew electricity had gone up a lot but that seems massive and I can't think what's different apart from the obvious fan heaters in Winter).

Do be aware that Sydney gets COLD - the first year you will be wandering around in a jumper astonished at people wearing coats and scarves, the second year you'll join them. It is often warmer outside than in as houses here tend to have NO insulation and insufficient heating - the Australians flatly refuse to accept that Winter happens each year. I have never been so cold in my life since growing up in Dublin in a house with similar heating arrangements - i.e. a couple of open fires and a mother who wouldn't let us turn on any other heaters as they cost too much to run only this time I'm the mother telling my kids to put another jumper on!!. If you're running a reverse cycle air con system for heating double the electricity bill above, at least.

I think OH pays around $60 a week for his train ticket from Turramurra to the city, he's not here to ask.

Phew - I think that's about all of your questions. Let me know if you want to know anything else. A word of caution - in my humble opinion Sydney is just about the nicest city on earth to live in, and it's a brilliant place to raise your kids, but it is EXPENSIVE. OH dropped a third from his salary (London city) on arrival and still hasn't made it back despite being in a similar, senior, IT role here. House prices aren't as mad as Dublin (pre crash of course), but if you have any aspirations to a 4 bed with a pool around here entry level is around $900k. Within ten minutes walk of the station on the North side think at least $1.2. The good stuff - it's a lovely leafy suburb with the stunning Ku-ring-gai national park just up the road. You can get to Mona Vale beach in 20 minutes. There are plenty of local shops and restaurants/cafes (North Turramurra shops are particularly nice and friendly) and a lot of choice of schools/childcare. Being on the train line means you can access the city easily and there is lots of family friendly stuff going on. All in all it's a great place to live.
Hi Rosscarbery

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your answers.

We live in a 3 bed terrace house at the moment so we would not be used to mansion style living and are not expecting to be able to afford a huge house with pool either although we are currently living in Malahide which is a fantastic area.

You got me thinking about the car situation and you are right that we will only need one car. There is no point in having unnecessary costs.

We are on a PR visa so thats good news about the school costs. We won't be sending them to a catholic school thats for sure. One of the many reasons we are making the move is to give them a better and more balanced education and not to have religion imposed on them every day. We are non-religious so it will be great to be accepted into a school without having to show baptism certificates as we have to do here. It is an unfair system in Ireland. Catholics as you know run the majority of the primary schools here and you need to be able to prove that your child is a catholic to get in otherwise you might have to travel very far to get your kids into one the the very few non-religious schools in Dublin. We were refused entry into all the local schools as they are not baptised. Can you believe that. I know it is the same for catholic schools in Oz but at least you have a choice there. Sorry for the rant.

We will definitely look at getting that free to view set top box that you mentioned. Although we hope we won't be watching too much of it.

That seems cheap for gas and electricity. Our last bill here was nearly €400 combined for gas and electricity for only a 2 month period.(november and december) Although we did use the heating a lot over xmas as it was cold here.

You seem to love it there and they way you describe the lifestyle makes us want to go tomorrow I can't wait now.

By the way does it take long on the train to the city centre and are they regular.

Many thanks and stay in touch.

Regards

p.s: what part of dublin did you leave behind?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plantpot
Daycare is around 70 -90 a day 8.30 to 6.30 ish with food for under school ages in that area, preshool is limited hours (9-3) and around 45 dollars plus and they must be aged 3 and over.

I have seen quite a few houses with 3 beds in Turramurra very near the station and decent ac for 700. There are more without AC though, personally I find it too hot without and too cold without heating but that's me....

HTH
Thanks Plantpot.

Is it hard to get places in daycare, would there be much of a waiting list? It is quite hard here in dublin to get into a decent nursery/creche.

Great that there are places in our budget in that area. What are the surrounding areas like? St Ives Pymble Gorden Wahroonga?

Many thanks
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Plantpot.

Is it hard to get places in daycare, would there be much of a waiting list? It is quite hard here in dublin to get into a decent nursery/creche.

Great that there are places in our budget in that area. What are the surrounding areas like? St Ives Pymble Gorden Wahroonga?

Many thanks
St Ives lovely, no train though and bus takes an age, Pymble Gordon and Wahroonga all similar really...all on train line...Yes it is difficult to get daycare but if you are stuck there are occasional daycare centres you ould use til a perm place comes up.....they are all over the place....
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

. All in all it's a great place to live.
A great post and should help the OP a lot!!!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: living costs/expenses turramurra area (North Shore Area)

Happy to help. Train from Turramurra to Wynyard takes 35 minutes, they run every 15 minutes (more in rush hour I think).

I'm from Rathmines, haven't lived in Ireland for a LONG time though I still have family there. Sounds like you have jobs all sorted? Now all you need is childcare!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to help. Train from Turramurra to Wynyard takes 35 minutes, they run every 15 minutes (more in rush hour I think).

I'm from Rathmines, haven't lived in Ireland for a LONG time though I still have family there. Sounds like you have jobs all sorted? Now all you need is childcare!
The more I look at Turramurra the more I like it!! Looked on Domain.com.au and some decent properties there to rent, with pools too! We live on the beach at Manly so a pool would be a decent substitute! Plenty of trains into the city as well! Yes, I am liking Turramurra very much!!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paddyo
The more I look at Turramurra the more I like it!! Looked on Domain.com.au and some decent properties there to rent, with pools too! We live on the beach at Manly so a pool would be a decent substitute! Plenty of trains into the city as well! Yes, I am liking Turramurra very much!!
Hey don't tell everyone!
I want some houses left when I get there in May!!

Last edited by soulrebel; Jan 21st 2010 at 2:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.