Living costs .

Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:35 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living costs .

Originally Posted by tracey.d
PMSL. Divide that figure by 4 and that will be somewhere near what I will be on with 3 kids to support :scared: . What age are you allowed to send your kids out to work over there

Tracey
Then I suggest you increase your income or don't come.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Alan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jonni boy
bleeding hope so matey as my trade seems to earn peanuts in oz earned £35,000 last year here in the uk and i will be lucky to earn $50,000 when we move over next year.pity nobody wants wrought iron gates in oz as i had a good sideline over here making and fitting them.....35k was without my sideline by the way
Gotta take life as it comes, if you already know that then no shocks for when yu arrive in Oz!!!!
You can supply me with cheap gates!!!
Where from in Manchester....we lived in Sale for years.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Then I suggest you increase your income or don't come.
Chill out, it was meant as a joke . Not the wage part as that is what I will be earning. I find it insane that people say that you have to have at least $100k to live on or you can't survive. You just need to live by your means. As mine will be $35 then that is what we will budget on. If I earned $100 then I would quite easily spend that and increase my material goods, drink more and, knowing me, probably waste half of it. I would also, no doubt, spoil my kids with things they don't need, therefore not teaching them the value of money. Therefore, I have to say that I am quite happy with the amount that I will have, so long as I know it's enough to get by!!!

Simones post (sorry Simone ) clearly shows that it is possible to live on such an income, her and her partner live on one wage and save the other. I will be on a similar wage and hopefully the family payment that I am entitled to will supplement that wage and before you ask, no I am not ashamed to claim family payment. I will be paying taxes as soon as I arrive so believe that I am entitled to claim this.

I am not planning on going over there to sponge off the state I am going to work for a living. Being one of the foreign nurses who are holding up the health care system as there is a dire shortage!!!!! Being a nurse, unfortunately I cannot increase my wages as we are paid a set rate. I refuse to work every weekend and night shift to increase it. That is not why I am coming over. I am also a single parent, of which I am not ashamed, so no longer have the luxury of a second income.

So, I shall be coming over (if someone ever buys my darn house) and I shall manage on what I earn. I will also have a good time and be a lot less stressed hopefully .

Maybe you should take your head out of the sand and realise that not everyone is as fortunate as you, financially, but it doesn't mean that they are not worthy to come to Australia .

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Chill out, it was meant as a joke . Not the wage part as that is what I will be earning. I find it insane that people say that you have to have at least $100k to live on or you can't survive. You just need to live by your means. As mine will be $35 then that is what we will budget on. If I earned $100 then I would quite easily spend that and increase my material goods, drink more and, knowing me, probably waste half of it. I would also, no doubt, spoil my kids with things they don't need, therefore not teaching them the value of money. Therefore, I have to say that I am quite happy with the amount that I will have, so long as I know it's enough to get by!!!

Simones post (sorry Simone ) clearly shows that it is possible to live on such an income, her and her partner live on one wage and save the other. I will be on a similar wage and hopefully the family payment that I am entitled to will supplement that wage and before you ask, no I am not ashamed to claim family payment. I will be paying taxes as soon as I arrive so believe that I am entitled to claim this.

I am not planning on going over there to sponge off the state I am going to work for a living. Being one of the foreign nurses who are holding up the health care system as there is a dire shortage!!!!! Being a nurse, unfortunately I cannot increase my wages as we are paid a set rate. I refuse to work every weekend and night shift to increase it. That is not why I am coming over. I am also a single parent, of which I am not ashamed, so no longer have the luxury of a second income.

So, I shall be coming over (if someone ever buys my darn house) and I shall manage on what I earn. I will also have a good time and be a lot less stressed hopefully .

Maybe you should take your head out of the sand and realise that not everyone is as fortunate as you, financially, but it doesn't mean that they are not worthy to come to Australia .

Tracey
If you had an purchasing power indexed gold clad pension paying $30,000 per year 'til the end of days, then I see your point.

I get hot on those who fail to factor in the income required to build sufficient wealth for the days when they need to survive without being able to work. If you are not one, I apologise.

I say that >$100,000 gross income is necessary for most. Of course luck can have its way.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:03 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
If you had an purchasing power indexed gold clad pension paying $30,000 per year 'til the end of days, then I see your point.

I get hot on those who fail to factor in the income required to build sufficient wealth for the days when they need to survive without being able to work. If you are not one, I apologise.

I say that >$100,000 gross income is necessary for most. Of course luck can have its way.
Yep, we're living this cheaply because I know we need to pay of a mortgage as soon as possible, and then start investing for our olden days. Easier said than done, but that's the plan(have the mortgage paid off in less than 20 years).

Tracey, I don't know if you will make it.... I can't say. I do know that we've only been saving one income for about 6 months. The first months we spent way more.
Anyway, you might live on it, but as Megs says, I don't know about what you'll have when you retire.
But if you're going to be earning the same as in the UK(comparetively), then you should be ok...?
But just rememeber you have a lot of start up costs here too, even if you bring everything.
Just don't base your decision on us....totally different situation(not only no school fees, but also no healthcare cost, no health insurance costs, a small house(I wouldn't want to live in this house with 3 kids!), you'll have more utilities costs, phone costs, more car costs(unless you get a Ford Festiva...!!), much more groceries, etc etc(can't imagine family benefit will cover this all..??!) (oh, and we're in Perth)

The thing is also, are you going to buy a house? If so, I expect your housing costs to be more than us? And if you're going to keep renting, well then you're not investing in your future at all?
Sorry, just getting curious To be honest, I think it'll be really hard, but then I don't know your exact situation(and you don't have to tell me!), and I don't know how you live now.
I guess just giving you stuff to think about, if you haven't of course already.. most probably have!
Oh, just read you are selling a house. well, depending how much equity you have, I guess you might have less housing costs then.

Anyway, very brave of you to be doing this on your own, good luck

One day I'm going to do a thread all about how we live so cheaply! One day! :scared:
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:04 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

UPDATE
Not wanting to info over load at first , here are what the guide says Groceries should cost and i quote " at a popular store "

Sliced white loaf $2.29
Weetbix 750g $2.99
Long grain rice $2.19
Pasta 500g $0.99
Eggs 1 doz $3.29
Beef mince "top quality " 1kg $10.99
Fillet steak 1kg $28.99
Rump steak $11.99
Leh of lamb 1kg $7.99
Chook breast 1kg $13.39
Chook drum sticks 1kg $3.99
Pork snags 1kg $8.79
Bacon rib rashers 250g $
Milk 1litre $1.59
Butter 500g $1.85
Marg 500g $2.38
Chedder cheese 500g $3.99
Fresh carrots 1kg $1.48
Potatoes 1kg $2.45
Tom8oes 1kg $3.89
Apples 1kg $2.98
Bananas 1kgs $2.98
Frozen peas 1kg $4.00
Olive oil xtra v 500ml $4.39
Pasta sauce tom8o 700g $ 2.39
Sugar 1kg $1.35

Should make Kala chuckle
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:24 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey

Tracey i think you deserve a medal for your courage. We who have kids know that whatever you earn you will survive on, your children will not always be dependant on you and even if you leave your 'old age savings' till a bit later on you will have time to save some and i am sure that your kids will see you right should you ever need help. you have been there for them and any loving child would always help their parents out.
i am sure there are people who go to oz with less knowledge to the possibility of their income. just look at the amount of people who have moved to queensland and then realised that the jobs advertised were/ are very few and far between. most that are available are low paid compared with what they earned in the uk. you go girl and stay strong.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
Tracey i think you deserve a medal for your courage. We who have kids know that whatever you earn you will survive on, your children will not always be dependant on you and even if you leave your 'old age savings' till a bit later on you will have time to save some and i am sure that your kids will see you right should you ever need help. you have been there for them and any loving child would always help their parents out.
i am sure there are people who go to oz with less knowledge to the possibility of their income. just look at the amount of people who have moved to queensland and then realised that the jobs advertised were/ are very few and far between. most that are available are low paid compared with what they earned in the uk. you go girl and stay strong.
Thanks for that .

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:54 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I will be on a similar wage and hopefully the family payment that I am entitled to will supplement that wage and before you ask, no I am not ashamed to claim family payment. I will be paying taxes as soon as I arrive so believe that I am entitled to claim this.

I am not planning on going over there to sponge off the state I am going to work for a living.

Tracey
Of course you are entitled to it. These payments are to help raise children, which are our and our nations future.

3 kids working 40 years paying taxes, I reckon Australia is investing wisely.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Of course you are entitled to it. These payments are to help raise children, which are our and our nations future.

3 kids working 40 years paying taxes, I reckon Australia is investing wisely.
Thanks

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:05 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

its nice to see you guys being very human
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Perthforme
UPDATE
Not wanting to info over load at first , here are what the guide says Groceries should cost and i quote " at a popular store "

Sliced white loaf $2.29
Weetbix 750g $2.99
Long grain rice $2.19
Pasta 500g $0.99
Eggs 1 doz $3.29
Beef mince "top quality " 1kg $10.99
Fillet steak 1kg $28.99
Rump steak $11.99
Leh of lamb 1kg $7.99
Chook breast 1kg $13.39
Chook drum sticks 1kg $3.99
Pork snags 1kg $8.79
Bacon rib rashers 250g $
Milk 1litre $1.59
Butter 500g $1.85
Marg 500g $2.38
Chedder cheese 500g $3.99
Fresh carrots 1kg $1.48
Potatoes 1kg $2.45
Tom8oes 1kg $3.89
Apples 1kg $2.98
Bananas 1kgs $2.98
Frozen peas 1kg $4.00
Olive oil xtra v 500ml $4.39
Pasta sauce tom8o 700g $ 2.39
Sugar 1kg $1.35

Should make Kala chuckle
If we paid those prices for food, i'd have to go out and get a job :scared:

Some of my current costs:
Potatoes 5kg $4.99
Eye Fillet Steak $21.99 p kg (for a nice Chateaubriand )
Eggs 1 doz $1.99 or $0.99 for the medium size ones, or free with $10 spent on vegetables
Flora Margerine 500gm $1.98

Old Aug 13th 2005, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

I guess at the end of the day you have to live within your means and watch the pennies
Old Aug 13th 2005, 1:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
St George Line of Credit currently 6.82%, with No monthly fee.

The one thing to watch though, is to ensure you pay off any loan portion for cars etc during the life of the car etc. And NOT over a 25 year term, otherwise the total cost can become very high.
We have one with wizard and its excellent. We paid the car loan off then still pay the same off each month with the LOC, we will pay off the car around 5 months earlier.

The other good thing is that when you apply for this loan you can set it up for an amount you THINK you might need figure and it costs the same in fees.

For example we did calculations for the reno plus 10% for those things that always come up when doing major works. Then allowed for private schooling per child should we deem it necessary. Then 2 emergency trips to the UK for all of us. Then in say ten years time needing to change a car etc etc. If you don't draw from the loan you pay no interest on any off it. Also any amount you pay back over then interest you can redraw on for up to 15 years.

It works brilliantly if you are disciplined wih money, if you weren't you could get in a mess i reckon.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 4:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
It works brilliantly if you are disciplined wih money, if you weren't you could get in a mess i reckon.
I concur with that

Originally Posted by nik04
I guess at the end of the day you have to live within your means and watch the pennies
And I concur with that too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.