Living Cost

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living Cost

Hello Readers,

Could you share with us the living cost in Australian big cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide)?

1. No. of family members.
2. Monthly Rent (if you rent) or monthly mortgage installment (if you own)
3. Transport
4. Food/Clothing
5. Utility bills (water/electricity)
6. Entertainment (holiday, movie, etc.)
7. Tax
8. And finally saving if any

Thanks
Regards,
Wil
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 4:24 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Cost

Perth as we live.
2 people join income $90,000 tax about $30000
Food per week $200
Fuel cars $70 per week
Rates water plus House $2500 per year
Power gas $150 per month
Phones plus internet $125 per month
Health insurance $140 per month for two
Mortgage $250 per week
Cost of avarage meal out with wine $120 for 2
Pint of beer $6.80
Movie ticket $14
Theatre tickets $60-$80
Car rego 2 cars $800 per year (car tax)
Car insurance 2 cars $1000 per year ( we are over 25 plus full no claims )
Then services on cars anywhere up to $300 each
Holidays just draw on mortgage no cheap deals here

Savings nil we like most here just try to break even if possible,according to my bank manager what we are earning puts us in the top 20% of wage earners in Australia sad or what.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 4:29 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding! That's a pretty sad statistic all right...
Originally posted by pommie bastard:
Savings nil we like most here just try to break even if possible,according to my bank manager what we are earning puts us in the top 20% of wage earners in Australia sad or what.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Hello Pommie,

I guess, my condition here would be better than if I would have migrated to Oz, because now I don't earn as much as you do, but I can at least save some money, and go for holiday for one or two weeks in a year.

This makes me really, really think about migrating to Australia. No doubts, the country is beatiful, but if I have to work and work and there's no money left after the basic need, how can I enjoy all the good things the place can offer. Money is not everything but without enough money in a modern society, that would not be so good. It would be no different with 3rd world country where the majority has to work just to cover basic needs. (Well, I guess I am a bit biased here, basic need in modern place is different from that in a village in a banana country).

Anyway thanks for your info, with all my respect, I will try to collect more info including ones that are on the opposite of yours and make an objective judgement whether I should go ahead or shelve the plan. I want to ask questions like these now and not when I'm already in Oz.

Do you see the future living in Australia is bleak (economically) or there is any hope (maybe putting aside first all your bad experience in the past)?

Regards,
Wil
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys

well presently i am living sydney (in a work visa) and i agree with pommie.... no savings at all. i earn $55K and i am single.

hmm... i am not a brit... but i am thinking of relocating to the UK.

would be nice if someone could give a cost-of-living breakdown in the UK.

also... how is the IT market in the UK at the moment?

thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, pommie bastard, I was thinking I might move to Perth. I thought that if I earned a decent wage in Perth I'd be much better off. It seems this may not be the case either.

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard:
Perth as we live.]

Jesus pommie bastard!

You must eat a shit load of food per week!

And what do you drive ?? Turbo/V8 ??

These cost must be wrong.

Halve everything and you have the cost of living in Auckland.

You cant tell me that NZ is cheaper than Aus.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheap mortgage !

I would tend to agree with the rest of his numbers.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

nope... pommie is not wrong. i am not sure of Perth, but Sydney is pretty much as expensive as what he's mentioned.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ex kiwi:
Perth as we live.]

Jesus pommie bastard!

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by onlyme:
wow, pommie bastard, I was thinking I might move to Perth. I thought that if I earned a decent wage in Perth I'd be much better off. It seems this may not be the case either.

I recall that cost of living in Sydney is high that leaves one to have no saving.

I wonder whether those who migrate to Australia, whether they are ones with a lot of cash. I guess those who can live comfortably in Australia are those who can bring a lot of money to Oz, i.e., can buy house with cash, no mortgate. And still there is some extra cash to put into fixed deposit.

If this is the case, job is a secondary thing and of course, the country is so beautiful!

Rgrds,
Wil
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:31 am
Robert Edwards

You may be better having a look at George Lombard's site (for one) http://www.austimmigration.com.au/main.htm
there you can use the Cost of Living Calculator which may be a bit more accurate or
at least another way of assessing some of what you seek in relation to costs. The
problem with asking individuals is that there are bound to be a lot of variables.

Regards

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

"willywh3r3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Readers,
    > Could you share with us the living cost in Australian big cities (Sydney,
    > Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide)?
    > 1. No. of family members.
    > 2. Monthly Rent (if you rent) or monthly mortgage installment (if you own)
    > 3. Transport
    > 4. Food/Clothing
    > 5. Utility bills (water/electricity)
    > 6. Entertainment (holiday, movie, etc.)
    > 7. Tax
    > 8. And finally saving if any
    > Thanks Regards, Wil
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:34 am
Robert Edwards

What is sad is that almost without exception every comment you make has the same
theme......"like most here just try to break even" what rot

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Savings nil we like most here just try to break even if possible,according to my
    > bank manager what we are earning puts us in the top 20% of wage earners in
    > Australia sad or what.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:37 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ex kiwi:
Perth as we live.]

Jesus pommie bastard!

Right on we can only afford shit tastes like it to ,cars 1.3 suzuki and 2.0 litre Kia . can not be that good in NZ too many of your lot over here.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I reckon you are right there Wil. If you bring bucket loads of cash you're laughing. Not me. I had no dosh when I got here and I've got the same amount of dosh now.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by willywh3r3:

Hello Pommie,

I guess, my condition here would be better than if I would have migrated to Oz, because now I don't earn as much as you do, but I can at least save some money, and go for holiday for one or two weeks in a year.

This makes me really, really think about migrating to Australia. No doubts, the country is beatiful, but if I have to work and work and there's no money left after the basic need, how can I enjoy all the good things the place can offer. Money is not everything but without enough money in a modern society, that would not be so good. It would be no different with 3rd world country where the majority has to work just to cover basic needs. (Well, I guess I am a bit biased here, basic need in modern place is different from that in a village in a banana country).

Anyway thanks for your info, with all my respect, I will try to collect more info including ones that are on the opposite of yours and make an objective judgement whether I should go ahead or shelve the plan. I want to ask questions like these now and not when I'm already in Oz.

Do you see the future living in Australia is bleak (economically) or there is any hope (maybe putting aside first all your bad experience in the past)?

Regards,
Wil
Australia is a small country that is to far away from everywhere , population and location count for everything .If being a big fish in small pond is good for you go for it just ,remember you will out grow the pond or become smaller to fit in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.