Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

living in a caravan

living in a caravan

Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:32 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default living in a caravan

After much deliberation we have decided against renting a house inbetween selling our place, paying the bond and going, most of the rentals would only consider 6 months+, so have decided to buy a large touring caravan, and plonk ourselves on the local camp site.
Works out quite a bit cheaper, and it can be sold at the end by my brother and he can put the money in the bank for us.
We also thought that while we where living it up in an awning, our furniture would just about be getting to Perth by the time we do. That is an added bonus not having to wait for weeks for it to turn up.
Well looking forward to caravan life with a suitcase each, all be it computerless.
This works for us and may for others on here, after all summer is arriving and campsites are cheap, include electric, no council tax, no tv licence, no water rates and you can get back the money youv'e spent out at the end of it, by leaving a loving family member to sell it and the car for you.

Jenny
Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: living in a caravan

Originally posted by jensteve
After much deliberation we have decided against renting a house inbetween selling our place, paying the bond and going, most of the rentals would only consider 6 months+, so have decided to buy a large touring caravan, and plonk ourselves on the local camp site.
Works out quite a bit cheaper, and it can be sold at the end by my brother and he can put the money in the bank for us.
We also thought that while we where living it up in an awning, our furniture would just about be getting to Perth by the time we do. That is an added bonus not having to wait for weeks for it to turn up.
Well looking forward to caravan life with a suitcase each, all be it computerless.
This works for us and may for others on here, after all summer is arriving and campsites are cheap, include electric, no council tax, no tv licence, no water rates and you can get back the money youv'e spent out at the end of it, by leaving a loving family member to sell it and the car for you.

Jenny

Sound like a good plan are sites easy to find? my sister in Liverpool says it can be hard to find a site to put a caravan on ?...
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Funny you should mention it, but after spending a few days at a Caravan/camping site, albeit in one of the "luxury" cabins, I did wonder if that was an option for people coming over here.

Some of them also have the added benefit of swimming pools, BBQ facilities, games rooms etc for the kids.

The one we stayed at, on the Gold Coast, in the few days leading up to Easter, had quite a few empty caravan spots.

I've just looked at the rates, about $200pw for a powered caravan site !!

even an unpowered tent site is between $108 and $357 pw !!

Maybe that one isn't a good example

Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi, we stayed in my parents caravan down the end of their field when we sold our house in UK. We stayed in it for 2 months, this wasn't the plan to stay so long, but my parents had a bad accident while touring with thier other caravan in Spain and we couldn't leave the UK whilst my mum was in hospital with a broken back!! It was great fun with the 2 kids, they thought it was great. It helped having my parents house to have meals and baths etc, as it was in February!! Oh and it didn't cost us a cent!

Mandy
Old Apr 10th 2004, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

On the way into Broardbeach (GC) I saw an advertisement for long term caravan accom for $125 per week. No idea of the standard but it's only about 5kms from the beach on a main bus route also on one of the many canals.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:49 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: living in a caravan

An update, we found a site today that will let us stay long term, very nice of them, £60 a week, and a caravan on the same site, £3750 when were finished with it he will buy it back minus £300, bloody good deal so will be taking it.
Worthwhile looking around as another caravan sales place offered the same thing, he charged £250 for resale. Not bad, the one we have found has a seperate bedroom down the end for dear son, plenty of room, hot and cold, shower everything really, quite happy.

Jenny
Old Apr 10th 2004, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I'm too fond of home comforts. Our solution is to rent a holiday cottage for 2-3 months. We've got a lovely 3 bedroom house in Kent with all mod cons/linen/all bills paid for about £250 a week. This is hardly any more than the rent for an unfurnished place round here, and then we would still have all the bills to pay. Actually the house isn't at all cottagey - very modern, high ceilings and owned by a professional photographer, so wonderful photos everywhere.

Lesley