Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Brisbane/gold coast

Living in Brisbane/gold coast

Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:18 am
Just Joined

boxer1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Brisbane/gold coast

Hi me and my family are looking to move to Brisbane / gold coast area as a result of a job I've been offered. We've never been to oz before so the whole move is blind really. Could anyone recommend any good areas to start looking at properties to rent for the first 6 months that aren't stupidly expensive. I'd like to rent somewhere near where we'd end up buying so to not mess the kids around moving schools etc. Also do most of the good areas have good schools?

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living in Brisbane/gold coast

You need to specify where you are working, as recommending south end of GC and you work North Brisbane could involve a 100Kms + commute each way thorough nightmare traffic.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

On the GC you'd be hard pressed to find a bad school. You may find a school which doesn't suit your children but that's a different matter entirely. No idea about Brissie schools but others will know. But yes, more detail as to where you'll be working, whether you want to be close to water or not bothered etc etc etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Hi I've just found out I'll be working from home going to various sites in Brisbane and gold coast so it would make more sense living in the north of gc or south Brisbane? My job alone is 130k a year so want to live somewhere nice with good schools. If anyone can suggest good areas in those locations so ican start looking ASAP that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxer1982
Hi I've just found out I'll be working from home going to various sites in Brisbane and gold coast so it would make more sense living in the north of gc or south Brisbane? My job alone is 130k a year so want to live somewhere nice with good schools. If anyone can suggest good areas in those locations so ican start looking ASAP that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Do you want modern or older housing? Private or state schooling? I would choose suburbs within 10km on the southside of the city, but still check out the area and schools closely before you make the decision. There's no definite answer, it's a matter of personal preference. What constitutes "good schools and somewhere nice" differ greatly from one family to another. Do your kids have any particular interest/need associated with schooling? Some schools have units specifically for a certain type of kid, special needs, music, academic, sporting etc. Let us know a little more detail and you'll probably get a more detailed help. Good luck with the move.

Here's a place to start looking at rental prices and styles of housing http://www.realestate.com.au/rent.

Last edited by Kim67; Aug 23rd 2012 at 12:13 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks Kim, my kids will be 5 and 7, both are above average academically and very sporty especially my boy. We like the look of modern housing in the areas from what we've seen on realestate.com.au. What is the difference between state and public schools money wise. If we could send our children to a top school that doesn't cost anything with their learning abilities I'm sure they would do just as well at school. Just finding the right ones that's all. thanks for your help.

Andy
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Kim, my kids will be 5 and 7, both are above average academically and very sporty especially my boy. We like the look of modern housing in the areas from what we've seen on realestate.com.au. What is the difference between state and public schools money wise. If we could send our children to a top school that doesn't cost anything with their learning abilities I'm sure they would do just as well at school. Just finding the right ones that's all. thanks for your help.

Andy

Top schools tend to mean expensive housing in the immediate area..
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Robina.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Andy
Hi Andy, the difference between state and private schooling varies widely. State schooling is supposed to be free, but you pay for compulsory uniforms and books and then if your child plays an instrument for example, you pay for the tuition (very minimal charges though). Private schools charge anything from as little as a couple of thousand a year up to approx $25k per child. Catholic schooling in the primary years is the least expensive non-state option and the quality of these schools can also be hit and miss. The general rule is that inner city state and private schools in more expensive areas are better. Housing in these areas is usually older style housing, though there are a few suburbs with newer builds. It's a tough call, but I guess the best thing you can do is sign up for a 6-12 month rental lease in an area you like, use the time to look at other suburbs and if you don't like the area and the school, move to somewhere you would prefer.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

i can only recommend where we have lived and where our daughter went to school

varsity lakes and varsity college both get a big thumbs up from all of us,

https://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

hope you find some where that suits

steve
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to work in both Brisbane and the Gold Coast, with traffic you are possibly better living in Brisbane and driving to Gold Coast in the morning and returning in the afternoon than vice versa.

I assume the traffic going south in the morning is quite a bit less than north. Can anyone confirm?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
If you have to work in both Brisbane and the Gold Coast, with traffic you are possibly better living in Brisbane and driving to Gold Coast in the morning and returning in the afternoon than vice versa.

I assume the traffic going south in the morning is quite a bit less than north. Can anyone confirm?
I've seen chokers in both directions (a long time ago). I dunno which way is worse.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Basically I'm going to be going from home to various sites each day. We would prefer to rent somewhere where we'll end up buying with good schools, not in the city though on the outskirts my new boss says its cooler nearer the sea. Are there any good areas in south Brisbane close-ish to the sea I can look at on realestate.com
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:25 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hey mate and welcome...

On the bayside it does tend to be relatively cooler in the summer months. We lived in Redlands bay when we first arrived 7 years ago, although it was nice living close to the water the extra you pay for the property was not worth it to us.

The majority of the waterfront is mangroves and mud, so not a beach as you would know it. And a huge pommy contingent.....if that's what floats your boat

We moved in land to buy our home and for what we bought at the time it would have been $100,000 more on the bayside !!!

We are in shailer park, close to the freeway about 30 minutes into the city and around the same to the Goldy.........we have plenty of good schools around us and great facilities.
Have a look at cornubia and daisy hill as well these are nice areas.
We spent a fair amount of time driving around different areas before committing.

My advice would be to rent first and really explore as many areas as possible, it's a fabulous place to live and we have never regretted moving here.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Thankyou that is really helpful!!
That makes a lot more sense moving inland because of those prices.
I am already looking into these areas as we need to rent first and as you say look at other areas much more closely when we arrive there.
Thankyou for your help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.