Reload this Page >

Living big boy's life in... Brisbane

Living big boy's life in... Brisbane

Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

ost88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living big boy's life in... Brisbane

Hello

I am 23 years, I based in London working as .NET developer. I hold degree in applied computing and at this moment I've got 4 years development experience. Been thinking recently about the priorities in my life and realised that I'd fancy a change. I feel like I really rushed with degree (graduated when I was 19) and never really experienced student life properly, not even mention gap year. Now I am finding myself living 9-5. Obviously I am planning to have a family at some point in the future, and I feel like there will be enough time for 9-5 mon-fri's, sunday trips to shopping centre etc.

I love travelling, however I've only got 4 weeks annual leave. I love South America, been even thinking of moving there however crap pay, criminality and language made me changed my mind.

I love humidity and warm climate. I love the nature, I've been twice to amazon rain forest

My dream is to have a good balance in my life - professional life mon-fri, but also opportunity to live close to nature, ocean, get a bike (bike bike and scooter), learn surfing, weekend trips to rain forest and lying in the sun. That's why I feel Australia could be a good choice.

The question is... how young singles are finding Brisbane? Is it hard to get software job compared to London? Is 60k+ salary achievable?
From what I see on gumtree, flat shares are waaay cheaper than in London. Not sure about groceries tho. I am on 30k salary at the moment, and for my little room in central London I am paying 165/week.

I dont feel like ive got much to loose except my job - which i really love mainly because of people and projects I am working on...

I am jsut collecting all docs for ACS and skilled independant visa application after SOL approval.

Cheers
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice
Default Re: Living big boy's life in... Brisbane

Great move to make, sounds ideal for you, if (and its a fairly big IF) you can get a visa, I'm not up on the current regs, got mine a few years ago.

I think Seniorish .NET folk get about $100k in brisbane, as a single 23 y.o. if you're flat sharing on your own you'll live pretty well on that or even a bit less.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living big boy's life in... Brisbane

There are plenty of stories of Brisbane suffering a 'man drought' as office/ admin roles in the city are typically taken up by yong women and young men head out the regions for high paid mining positions.

I have no idea whether its true - but that would suggest that Brisbane is indeed a great place for a young single guy to be!
$60K++ ought to be easily achievable for a .Net developer and shared rent should be at least as cheap as you're used to in London.

If you can get a visa it seems to me that you're in a great position to make the move.

(I moved over in a similar 'itchy feet' position on a whim as a single 25yr old with IT development skills back in '98 and loved it)