Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in the Bay Islands - Brisbane.

Living in the Bay Islands - Brisbane.

Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:57 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the Bay Islands - Brisbane.

Does anyone or can anyone offer advice as to how feasible this would be whilst working on the mainland?

I'm talking: Russell, Macleay etc............
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:37 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the Bay Islands - Brisbane.

I know someone who lives on coochiemudlo island most people seem to park there car on the mainland so it's a 5 min ferry ride from where you park the island. I think the ferry goes every half an hour.

I think it's feasible but might become a bit of a slog after a while.

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Does anyone or can anyone offer advice as to how feasible this would be whilst working on the mainland?

Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
I know someone who lives on coochiemudlo island most people seem to park there car on the mainland so it's a 5 min ferry ride from where you park the island. I think the ferry goes every half an hour.

I think it's feasible but might become a bit of a slog after a while.
Thanx for your response merlin! Thats pretty much what we thought.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Russell, MacLeay, Lamb and Karragara (spelling!!) islands have a ferry that operates to Redland Bay and the ferries operate in a clockwise direction and then anti-clockwise so it could take some time to get on and off these islands and they are a fair distance from Redland Bay. Lots of people commute to the city from there. I don't know much else about the islands as I only went on the ferry once. I think the islands used to be considered a bit wild as they were away from the mainland but they are meant to be getting police stations soon.

Personally I love Coochiemudlo which is a small island off Victoria Point and it is a short ferry ride. It is a lovely place with sandy beaches. There is a bus to the city that picks up from the jetty very early in the morning.

I suppose if you left the islands in the morning to work and returned at night it would be feasible but it might drive you nuts keep going back and forward to the shops or, if you have children, ferrying them to swimming lessons, etc.

Not quite sure, but I think that properties are quite cheap on the islands.

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by kt.2006; Feb 5th 2007 at 5:20 am.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

This topic has come up before:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=Russell

Old posts mention the fact that if living on the islands was as idylllic as it sounds, then everyone would be there. Seem to remember that sandflies have something to do with it..
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Russell, MacLeay, Lamb and Karragara (spelling!!) islands have a ferry that operates to Redland Bay and the ferries operate in a clockwise direction and then anti-clockwise so it could take some time to get on and off these islands and they are a fair distance from Redland Bay. Lots of people commute to the city from there. I don't know much else about the islands as I only went on the ferry once. I think the islands used to be considered a bit wild as they were away from the mainland but they are meant to be getting police stations soon.

Personally I love Coochiemudlo which is a small island off Victoria Point and it is a short ferry ride. It is a lovely place with sandy beaches. There is a bus to the city that picks up from the jetty very early in the morning.

I suppose if you left the islands in the morning to work and returned at night it would be feasible but it might drive you nuts keep going back and forward to the shops or, if you have children, ferrying them to swimming lessons, etc.

Not quite sure, but I think that properties are quite cheap on the islands.

Hope this helps a bit
There was a newspaper article recently on how House prices on Coochie had soared. The carpark at Vic Pt has a reputation for vandalism.

Some of the other islands have rather 'interesting' characters.

WW
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:47 pm

Thanx guys for all your responses!

The cheap house prices are all starting to make sense now!

No Police stations, having to leave your car on the mainland, lack of facilities, having to rely on a ferry to do ANYTHING.......s'all starting to make sense!

We have poo pooed this idea!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Thanx guys for all your responses!

The cheap house prices are all starting to make sense now!

No Police stations, having to leave your car on the mainland, lack of facilities, having to rely on a ferry to do ANYTHING.......s'all starting to make sense!

We have poo pooed this idea!
Wot??? No sense of adventure?