Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living Away From Home Allowance - LAHA

Living Away From Home Allowance - LAHA

Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living Away From Home Allowance - LAHA

Does anyone know anything about this allowance ? I'm told by my employers that I'll be eligible for this but unsure as to how this works and how much it is worth.

Confused !
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:01 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living Away From Home Allowance - LAHA

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Does anyone know anything about this allowance ? I'm told by my employers that I'll be eligible for this but unsure as to how this works and how much it is worth.

Confused !
i'm no expert but basically it's a tax break if you are on a 457 visa which enables some of your housingand food costs to be offset against tax, meaning in essence you pay less tax on a week by week basis...

DO a search for LAFHA on here/ google might give you some more pointers. Generally you employer will sort it for you....
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Alan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jjonboy
i'm no expert but basically it's a tax break if you are on a 457 visa which enables some of your housingand food costs to be offset against tax, meaning in essence you pay less tax on a week by week basis...

DO a search for LAFHA on here/ google might give you some more pointers. Generally you employer will sort it for you....
What if you work for yourself...do the same rules apply?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan & Sonia
What if you work for yourself...do the same rules apply?
Nope - you need to get yourself a decent tax accountant to help you with the claims you can make.

This is an allowance for working away from home. It is available to all people in Aus who have to work away from their normal place of living. It is offered as an incentive to people coming over on the 457 visa - but it can be a bit of a bind. Some employers use it to seem like they are paying you more - by saying a specific amount of your wages is LAFHA not by adding more on top as a real allowance. While on the allowance if you apply for 136 or other PR visa the allowance stops from the minute of application (not grant!). The amount of the allowance depends on you and the company the allowance is tax free, therefore depending on how much you earn (tax bracket) and amount awarded can determine home much this allowance is worth to you. The ATO determines if the allowance is reasonable so not a cahnce of getting whole salary tax free. I have heard amounts between 12 - 36K a year. I used to get 24K - which meant a saving to me of around 1K a month. Buggers just used part of my salary to make it look like I was getting more when the offer was made to me in the UK. It was a bit painful giving it up!

Good benefit if not really intending to settle here. Companies are also supposed to take into account if you are renting out your UK home and gaining from that. Your allowance would be reduced by the rental income.

Like a previous poster said do a seach of LAFHA and you are sure to get further information.

Cheers Sandra
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

LAHA is not restricted to 457 visa.

I came here on temp visa but now am permenant and am still eligible for LAHA (I work for a big company).
Some of my Ozzie colleagues have moved down from Queensland to Vic and they are entitled to it.

I don't know much but my co makes me sign a form each year to say if I were not here, I would live in _______ and this allows employer to pay as a tax free benefit.

A good accountant should be able to help- and if you get it, it is excellent!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
LAHA is not restricted to 457 visa.

I came here on temp visa but now am permenant and am still eligible for LAHA (I work for a big company).
Some of my Ozzie colleagues have moved down from Queensland to Vic and they are entitled to it.

I don't know much but my co makes me sign a form each year to say if I were not here, I would live in _______ and this allows employer to pay as a tax free benefit.

A good accountant should be able to help- and if you get it, it is excellent!
How can you claim "living away from home" allowance if you are living here permanently? You are surely no longer living away from home?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:09 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pootle
How can you claim "living away from home" allowance if you are living here permanently? You are surely no longer living away from home?
He will be living on bread & water in same cell as big bubba if the taxman catches him.