Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living Away From Home Allowance - Advice

Living Away From Home Allowance - Advice

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Living Away From Home Allowance - Advice

Hello there,

I am just after some clarification regarding LAFHA.

I have been offered a job in Brisbane on a 457 VISA. Does LAFHA apply to me? If I bring it up with my employer will they look to reduce my salary to cover the LAFHA?

All advice greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:08 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Away From Home Allowance - Advice

In case Paddyo doesn't see this you should find a good few threads on this if you use the search function.

In a nutshell - you are entitled to it, but there's a chance your employer can't be bothered to sort it out or doesn't understand it. It doesn't cost them anything, it's tax relief.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Away From Home Allowance - Advice

Originally Posted by Seasider
In case Paddyo doesn't see this you should find a good few threads on this if you use the search function.

In a nutshell - you are entitled to it, but there's a chance your employer can't be bothered to sort it out or doesn't understand it. It doesn't cost them anything, it's tax relief.
lol @ Seasider!!! Am I the unofficial LAFHA nerd on here???
For the OP, as Seasider says you are within the criteria for LAFHA. Its not an entitlement as such but an eligibility, which some companies find hard to comprehend. If your company has offered 457 they SHOULD be aware of it and what it entails. It is of no real burden to them so it should not affect your salary package at all, if they try and reduce it then mention that the ATO can stop LAFHA at any time dependant upon its own reasons and it is there to compensate you for financial obligations you have with your permanent home in the UK...which you DO have, remember??? lol