Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Albany Creek (Brisbane)

Living in Albany Creek (Brisbane)

Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in Albany Creek (Brisbane)

Wow, I'm really glad I came across this site. I've done some reading and there seems to be some really friendly folks on here.

I hope I'll be able to offer my help to someone as I begin to use it more

Me and my family have recently been granted visas to live permanently in Australia and we will soon be making our 2nd trip to Oz in order to validate them.

We've both got jobs secured and waiting for us in Brisbane CBD so we need to find somewhere to live (renting initially) as soon as we land there for good which we reckon will be sometime next year

During our validation we hope to do some house-hunting and are very interested in the Albany Creek (and surrounds) area.

If you live there, could you please tell me what you like about it, and also what you don't like about it. We currently live in a semi-rural area of Cheshire and we're looking for something similar. Ideally we're looking for a good sized plot with room for a pool (who isn't??).

We've got 2 young teenagers so good schools will be a priority as will be a decent cricket club (for the youngest). Oh, a nice pub would be handy too! I'm pretty sure the Missus would like to be able to browse the shops so a good choice of (cheap!) clothes shops would be great. Am I asking for the earth???

We'd very much like to check out the area when we come to visit, and maybe catch up with a few expats for a chat and a coffee, so we could also do with knowing of suitable family holiday type accomodation within easy reach of Albany Creek to give us a base. We were originally going to stay at the Brisbane (Big 4) Holiday Village but we reckon it is too far south and away to allow easy travelling to AC.

Finally, before I bore you all to tears, if you do live in Albany Creek, do you know what the chances are of getting fixed up with a decent rental (4 beds, 2 bathrooms, pool?, pet friendly) in the area, and where we could look to get an idea (in addition to realestate dot com dot au)

Thank you

TicTac

PS Oh, can I just say GOOD LUCK to those that are waiting for their visas. We had a bit of a nightmare getting ours. It was a very testing time for al of us but we found digging in and being positive, whilst trying to carry on as normal was the best way to deal with the waiting and anguish. Be patient, keep smiling and remember that good things come to those who wait. We are living proof of that!!!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:30 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Albany Creek (Brisbane)

hiya,
not personally in albany creek but ihave a friend who lives there - they love it.
i shall email her and ask her what she thinks

have you had a look at www.realestate.com.au - do a search in rental , and in buy, and see what you think.

good lcuk, hopefully be in touch asap.

sue
Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
There's a Big4 at Aspley, just down the road from Albany Creek.
J.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!! congrats on ur visas- we're hoping to head over in that direction too october nov this eyar when we have our visas (please hurry up dima!) have friend who lives there who says that it takes about 17 mins into cbd on train from enoggera station and parking is v cheap up there. Meant to be good schools and social life! samford village is also mean to be lovely. hubbie will b working in st lucia though so dont know how ong to drive - anyone know? otherwise according to train and bus it'll take too long over an hour

Originally Posted by tictac
Wow, I'm really glad I came across this site. I've done some reading and there seems to be some really friendly folks on here.

I hope I'll be able to offer my help to someone as I begin to use it more

Me and my family have recently been granted visas to live permanently in Australia and we will soon be making our 2nd trip to Oz in order to validate them.

We've both got jobs secured and waiting for us in Brisbane CBD so we need to find somewhere to live (renting initially) as soon as we land there for good which we reckon will be sometime next year

During our validation we hope to do some house-hunting and are very interested in the Albany Creek (and surrounds) area.

If you live there, could you please tell me what you like about it, and also what you don't like about it. We currently live in a semi-rural area of Cheshire and we're looking for something similar. Ideally we're looking for a good sized plot with room for a pool (who isn't??).

We've got 2 young teenagers so good schools will be a priority as will be a decent cricket club (for the youngest). Oh, a nice pub would be handy too! I'm pretty sure the Missus would like to be able to browse the shops so a good choice of (cheap!) clothes shops would be great. Am I asking for the earth???

We'd very much like to check out the area when we come to visit, and maybe catch up with a few expats for a chat and a coffee, so we could also do with knowing of suitable family holiday type accomodation within easy reach of Albany Creek to give us a base. We were originally going to stay at the Brisbane (Big 4) Holiday Village but we reckon it is too far south and away to allow easy travelling to AC.

Finally, before I bore you all to tears, if you do live in Albany Creek, do you know what the chances are of getting fixed up with a decent rental (4 beds, 2 bathrooms, pool?, pet friendly) in the area, and where we could look to get an idea (in addition to realestate dot com dot au)

Thank you

TicTac

PS Oh, can I just say GOOD LUCK to those that are waiting for their visas. We had a bit of a nightmare getting ours. It was a very testing time for al of us but we found digging in and being positive, whilst trying to carry on as normal was the best way to deal with the waiting and anguish. Be patient, keep smiling and remember that good things come to those who wait. We are living proof of that!!!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liver bird
Hi!! congrats on ur visas- we're hoping to head over in that direction too october nov this eyar when we have our visas (please hurry up dima!) have friend who lives there who says that it takes about 17 mins into cbd on train from enoggera station and parking is v cheap up there. Meant to be good schools and social life! samford village is also mean to be lovely. hubbie will b working in st lucia though so dont know how ong to drive - anyone know? otherwise according to train and bus it'll take too long over an hour
Samford - lovely, I have a good "Expats" friend who lives out there and thinks its great - do a search on it, and for posters dmf and janeandjim

Albany Creek - very popular area lately - do a search for the subrub, and for Rossifumi - he lives down that way
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your kind replies. It sounds like it could be just up our street!

I'll do as everybody suggests and check out the places mentioned but any other info any of you kind peeps can provide will be most appreciated.

I'm not much of a camper (hi di hi) but the Big4 at Aspley looks to be quite nice. Has anybody stayed here and can you recommend it?

Cheers

tictac
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much!! will have a look now (anything to put off doing the washing up!)
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Samford - lovely, I have a good "Expats" friend who lives out there and thinks its great - do a search on it, and for posters dmf and janeandjim

Albany Creek - very popular area lately - do a search for the subrub, and for Rossifumi - he lives down that way
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tictac
Thanks all for your kind replies. It sounds like it could be just up our street!

I'll do as everybody suggests and check out the places mentioned but any other info any of you kind peeps can provide will be most appreciated.

I'm not much of a camper (hi di hi) but the Big4 at Aspley looks to be quite nice. Has anybody stayed here and can you recommend it?

Cheers

tictac
Hi there

We like yourselves are heading that direction. We fly on 19th September. Have booked five days into Big4 Aspley. I will certainly post if you like our opinion on the site when we get there. I believe Albany Creek is supposed to be a good area. We have not visited there before, but from our research and help from many great posters like Pollyana, Rossifumi and Katcha have helped us decide that it will be the area for us (hopefully).

Best of luck with your plans and congrats on getting the Visa.

MK
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:43 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Albany Creek for a couple a days at the beginning of August, we were so impressed with the area and Brisbane itself that its now a toss up between there and the Gold Coast....decisions,decisions!!! We stayed with some friends and their home was amazing compared to here in the UK...... They had a 4 bedroomed house,with a pool and an amazing upstairs balcony!!!! and if I had a clue how to do it I could add a few pictures but I don't!!!!! We reckon a house of similar size etc would cost around £500,000, where in OZ it was valued at around $600,000........ I rest my case.....
Brisbane is hill and very clean. We went down to Brisbane River for the day (wintertime!!!) where we went on the 'city cat' had a brilliant day just cruising along the river......
As for schools, I know my friend , who's Australian, chose Albany Creek so that her girls could go to a school that was'nt highly populated with oriental children........
Its a lovely area, you'll love it......... C x
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:55 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
As for schools, I know my friend , who's Australian, chose Albany Creek so that her girls could go to a school that was'nt highly populated with oriental children........
x
So what is the problem if the school had children of Oriental descent? I thought this was Australia and that any child born or had citzenship granted(including adults here) was Australian? I don't think they'd mind if the school was highly populated by children of British descent. It is possible that there are not as many families of Asian descent living in the area.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:00 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shiels
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Paul Fitz
Hi there

We like yourselves are heading that direction. We fly on 19th September. Have booked five days into Big4 Aspley. I will certainly post if you like our opinion on the site when we get there. I believe Albany Creek is supposed to be a good area. We have not visited there before, but from our research and help from many great posters like Pollyana, Rossifumi and Katcha have helped us decide that it will be the area for us (hopefully).

Best of luck with your plans and congrats on getting the Visa.

MK
Good evening Muriel.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:03 pm

tictac, liverbird, PM me if you like.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I live near Albany Creek in Cashmere and do like the area.

If I was going to build again I think it would be clear mountain, they have some great land for sale fantastic views !
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
I live near Albany Creek in Cashmere and do like the area.

If I was going to build again I think it would be clear mountain, they have some great land for sale fantastic views !
We're in Cashmere , where are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.