Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Adelaide

Living in Adelaide

Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice
Default Living in Adelaide

Hi

I have just received a job offer in Adelaide, currently living in NZ for the last 12 months and the UK before that.
Can any one please give me your thoughts and advice on Adelaide
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:48 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Adelaide

This is a good site ......
http://www.adelaidebound.com/
I have lived here for 46 years ,all my family is here so i might be a bit biased.........mm
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
This is a good site ......
http://www.adelaidebound.com/
I have lived here for 46 years ,all my family is here so i might be a bit biased.........mm

I've done 2 years and I am also biased
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
Hi

I have just received a job offer in Adelaide, currently living in NZ for the last 12 months and the UK before that.
Hi Steve and Julia. The OH (JKA) and I are both in our mid 30s and moved from scotland and have been here now for 13 months, we live in the hills which are beautiful, the weather has been great, people are really friendly, and thankfully neither of us have struggled to find work. We do love living here and we've got a better social life now that we ever had in the UK. Not sure what else you would like to know as can't really help with schools or anything but feel free to ask and I'll do my best

Nikki
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
Hi

There's plenty of posts on the pros and cons of Adelaide - I've posted a few in response to similar questions before. Depending what line of work you're in it can take some time to get a job, but as you already have an offer that solves the main issue for most people. We've been here (a wee village in the Adelaide Hills) for about ten months and I work down the hill in the CBD. Very much enjoying life here. Happy to help with any specific questions you might have about Adelaide.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

well we started in adelaide coz we have family there, we spent around 4 weeks there and spent another 5 weeks travelling up the coast - we are now in yeppoon. We absolutely love ad and out of all the capitals we have visited is far the best (imo). We cant wait to go back there it was so beautiful and quite abit to do around and about. Adelaide hills are something special and if you can look at a house on an open inspection i would highly recommend - but do bare in mind the house prices are soaring.

maria
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about

Hi
Can anyone tell me what the schools are like in Adelaide please, myself OH and two children (boy of 7 and Girl of 11) are Sept applicants and are in the final stages (fingers crossed) of getting our visas and should hear soon. My daughter will be starting year 7 in Sept and any information on State High Schools would be appreciated. I have researched a few ,Mitcham girls school, Adelaide high, Aberfoyle park to name a few but without being able to go and have a look around its a bit of a waste of time. are all the Grammar schools Private , i cant seem to find any that dont cost a fortune?
Many thanks
Julie
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:59 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie9
Hi
Can anyone tell me what the schools are like in Adelaide please, myself OH and two children (boy of 7 and Girl of 11) are Sept applicants and are in the final stages (fingers crossed) of getting our visas and should hear soon. My daughter will be starting year 7 in Sept and any information on State High Schools would be appreciated. I have researched a few ,Mitcham girls school, Adelaide high, Aberfoyle park to name a few but without being able to go and have a look around its a bit of a waste of time. are all the Grammar schools Private , i cant seem to find any that dont cost a fortune?
Many thanks
Julie
This is a good start........
http://www.adelaidebound.com/schools.html
.............mm
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about

Thankyou Mr mover, this website is fantastic!!

Julie
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaumonts
do bare in mind the house prices are soaring.
maria
Not for much longer they're not. Expect 20% off minimum by Christmas 2009.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tableland
Not for much longer they're not. Expect 20% off minimum by Christmas 2009.
Where did you get that from.
On the news today the money men were saying house prices were going to increase by 16% by the end of next year!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
Where did you get that from.
On the news today the money men were saying house prices were going to increase by 16% by the end of next year!
Considering they are already 30% over-valued, a further increase of 16% makes them nearly 50% over-valued. Possibly more. Houses in the US have lost 23% in the last three months and at least 10% in between the start of the global credit crunch and the start of this three month period. This means they have probably already lost over a third of their value against their peak. The UK has already lost at least 10% (flats a lot more) and there is significantly more value coming off before Christmas, never mind this time next year.

Australian houses are pretty much the Western world's most over-valued property market and the average wage/house price ratio is the worst in the Western world, with some people seriously expected to borrow eight or nine times their wage to get on the housing ladder. This is totally unsustainable. Throw into this little molotov cocktail the fact that Australian interest rates are going to have to go up at some point to meet the massive imminent inflation caused by oil prices doubling in less than a year, and there is no way Australia avoids the housing crash.

My assessment is that Australian housing stock is significantly over-valued and a large proportion of this value will be lost before 2010. It's just my opinion, and I for one would not buy into a market that hot. Any talk of an increase is either money men with vested interests or unmitigated panic-control from government. At this stage, stagnancy is the best one could hope for.

Finally, while drops in Australian house prices have already been reported, so has talk of an increase. Frankly, this is suicide for the Australian economy. The misery being suffered in the US and Britain was caused by housing stock being over-valued, and what goes up must come down. The longer Australian house prices go up, the harder they will fall.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:42 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the Media is being played somewhat at the moment, and from what I can tell big banks own quite a lot of the Newspapers and so Press releases may 'hit' the right desks more often than would strictly happen if this were not the case.

Only time will tell exactly what is going to happen. But the old adage 'if you say it often enough, people will believe it is true.' applies here and is the principle of good PR!
I hope that prices calm down somewhat, but I don't have enough information to make anything more than a guess!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tableland
Considering they are already 30% over-valued, a further increase of 16% makes them nearly 50% over-valued. Possibly more. Houses in the US have lost 23% in the last three months and at least 10% in between the start of the global credit crunch and the start of this three month period. This means they have probably already lost over a third of their value against their peak. The UK has already lost at least 10% (flats a lot more) and there is significantly more value coming off before Christmas, never mind this time next year.

Australian houses are pretty much the Western world's most over-valued property market and the average wage/house price ratio is the worst in the Western world, with some people seriously expected to borrow eight or nine times their wage to get on the housing ladder. This is totally unsustainable. Throw into this little molotov cocktail the fact that Australian interest rates are going to have to go up at some point to meet the massive imminent inflation caused by oil prices doubling in less than a year, and there is no way Australia avoids the housing crash.

My assessment is that Australian housing stock is significantly over-valued and a large proportion of this value will be lost before 2010. It's just my opinion, and I for one would not buy into a market that hot. Any talk of an increase is either money men with vested interests or unmitigated panic-control from government. At this stage, stagnancy is the best one could hope for.

Finally, while drops in Australian house prices have already been reported, so has talk of an increase. Frankly, this is suicide for the Australian economy. The misery being suffered in the US and Britain was caused by housing stock being over-valued, and what goes up must come down. The longer Australian house prices go up, the harder they will fall.
Each state has its own set of criteria, we are still in a a growth cycle .. in SA ........mm
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover
Each state has its own set of criteria, we are still in a a growth cycle .. in SA ........mm
But capital is global, and it's run out. Recessions move from US - UK - Australia. The US is slipping fast, the UK is close behind. Guess what happens next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.