Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Adelaide

Wikiposts

Living in Adelaide

Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Living in Adelaide

Great post - I personally also need to have a balanced view of somewhere before making a decision, especially a decision as life changing as emigrating!

We had originally planned to go to Brisbane but decided on SA as we can use the STNI approach and one of the biggest things that changed our minds about going to Brisbane was the humidity - in its place tho there is sure to be something that Adelaide gets that Brisbane doesnt (plagues of flies, for instance?! ) so its swings and roundabouts. Brisbane will be our second choice, if the Adelaide route fails though.

Karen
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wombat42
with a population a one million it is not too crowded or too much traffic. The beaches are nice, such as Glenelg and for swimming, but the waves are too small for surfing. There are atractive hills surrounding the city which have many national parks for bushwalking etc. Also houses are alot cheaper then Sydney and Melbourne.
Before you pack your bags l now have the downside ... adelaide also has the highest number of people over 60 in the country or retirees, which makes some people see Adelaide as one large boring retirement villiage. Also there is a very high youth unemployment rate and the general unemployment rate is aslo alot higher then the rest of the county.
Many skilled and educated young people leave to state to find employment.
Well, Wombat, credit where credit's due, this is about the most balanced post I've read from you.

I'm no surf expert, but I have seen plenty of people surfing in places like Port Noarlunga.

As you say though, loads of oldies and an economic rust belt. I for one believe that although house prices there are considerably cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne, they are still overpriced when you take into account the lack of economic opportunities there (but I happen to think we're going through a property bubble in many countries at present).

Again, as you point out, few opportunites there for skilled and/or educated young people and lots of poor role models for them while they're growing up (all be it there are some excellent schools there).

I imagine that living somewhere like Exeter in Devon is about as similar as you could get in the UK to living somewhere like Adelaide.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:48 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

some people see
Adelaide as one large boring retirement villiage.
LOL

We only visited Adelaide for a week, our friends live there but found it wonderful...compared to Perth. Makes you wonder what people call Perth if they think Adelaide is boring.....!!!!

I loved Mount Lofty and it was freezing!!!!! Also the lovely German type village in the hills, sorry cant remember what its called! Adelaide certainly had far move life in it than Perth and the city had more than two main streets.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by janeyray
I loved the lovely German type village in the hills!
That would be Lobethal - http://www.adhills.com.au/tourism/towns/lobethal/
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I imagine that living somewhere like Exeter in Devon is about as similar as you could get in the UK to living somewhere like Adelaide.
Well looky here. By a spooky coincidence I find Exeter is in the news:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...571739,00.html
EXETER in Devon has been the most profitable urban area for buy-to-let investors over the past year
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Janeyray

(sorry sackofspuds) I think the German Village is Hahndorf!

Lots of German influenced, shops, beers, foods, etc.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi Janeyray

Hi this is a great thread finally found some people talking lenghty about Adelaide.My family and i are intending to go to adelaide and all the research i have done is spot on .What you have all said is everything i have found out, but i didn,t know about the old folk but hey we live in worthing so we are use to that and i don,t think this is bad.In the uk we work all hours and i think most of us want some piece and time with family and Adelaide to me doesn,t sound boring, i for one wouldn,t want to move to a place that was hectic, been there done that. Its time for the kids and what a place to bring them up god i hope we get there must keep this thread going to share our points.

I have looked into mount barker area they seem to be developing it alot, when you say shops what scale are we talking about? I am thinking jobs !!!

Thanks Tracy
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:28 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracy, have you been over to http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridiej
Tracy, have you been over to http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Yes i have it is a interesting site i was out having dinner back in feb and sat back to back with a girl who i found out was leaving for adelaide on the 14th feb she told me about adelaidebrits, but i did have problems getting on so i found this site which has been very good. I should go onto adelaidebrits abit more as i am now able to logg on Tracy
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:13 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi Janeyray

Thats it, I remember now!! Thanks I didnt think the other village rang any bells.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:16 am
home again, home again

Originally Posted by alinora9
Hi this is a great thread finally found some people talking lenghty about Adelaide.My family and i are intending to go to adelaide and all the research i have done is spot on .What you have all said is everything i have found out, but i didn,t know about the old folk but hey we live in worthing so we are use to that and i don,t think this is bad.In the uk we work all hours and i think most of us want some piece and time with family and Adelaide to me doesn,t sound boring, i for one wouldn,t want to move to a place that was hectic, been there done that. Its time for the kids and what a place to bring them up god i hope we get there must keep this thread going to share our points.

I have looked into mount barker area they seem to be developing it alot, when you say shops what scale are we talking about? I am thinking jobs !!!

Thanks Tracy
We stayed in Semaphore (where our friends from the UK live) it has a very small sea side town centre but a nice feel to it. Lots of lovely Victorian houses. The sea front is really nice too.

We thought Glenelg was brilliant, a 'real' sea side town with lots of development going on. Lots to do and nice restaurants and even a pub or two!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

l lived in Adelaide for 18 years and moved recently to the west coast of Victoria. The thing l miss most about Adelaide is the Fantastic weather, it is almost perfect, except during summer you might get 10 -15 days where it is too hot. Where l live now in winter it is 12C and raining every second day, in Adelaide during
winter it is 16c-20c every day it hardly rains and the sun is shining most of the time.
Adelaide is an attractive city surrounded by parklands, with the river Torrens flowing through it, with a population a one million
it is not too crowded or too much traffic. The beaches are nice, such as Glenelg and for swimming, but the waves are too small for surfing. There are atractive hills surrounding the city which have many national parks for bushwalking etc. Also houses are alot cheaper then Sydney and Melbourne.
Before you pack your bags l now have the downside,
Adelaide is known as the city of churches, because many people in the eastern states see it as being a boring and conservative place where nothing ever happens, except for a few bizarre
serial killings cases that occoured recently such as the Snowtown
killlings or the bodies inthe barrels case, which made headlines all over the world. adelaide also has the highest number of people
over 60 in the country or retirees, which makes some people see
Adelaide as one large boring retirement villiage. Also there is a very high youth unemployment rate and the general unemployment rate is aslo alot higher then the rest of the county.
Many skilled and educated young people leave to state to find employment.

thanks for that wombat - we found that really useful
karma on way!!!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:32 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: lifestyle of Adelaide

Originally Posted by bob and ginnie
The summers are hot. The secret is NOT to live in the city, which is built on the coastal plain. Go and live up in the Adeliade Hills, some 1,500 to 2,000 feet up.
... or head South to the Fleurieu Peninsular, where it tends to be milder all year round - 5c cooler in summer and 3c warmer in winter.

Originally Posted by bob and ginnie
Housing in Mount Barker is going ahead and prices are about $200,000 (75,000 GBP)for a 3 bedroom house on a good sized block to $300,000 (115,000GBP)for a 4 bedroom house on a half acre block (110 yards x 22 yards . . . yes, YARDS!)
Mount Barker has all the major supermarkets . . .at present, 4 . . . and all the main stores, and has 3 Primary and High schools. It is on the South Eastern Freeway and is half an hour's drive at 60 MPH (110 km/h) to the city centre (Adelaide).
I like Mt. Barker for all the reasons you gave, however I'd recommend living just outside it, as it's turning into a bit of a suburb of Adelaide, there's just too much building going on there at the moment for my liking. There are lots of smaller town and villages around Mt Barker that still have a country feel.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: lifestyle of Adelaide

Originally Posted by welshpom
... or head South to the Fleurieu Peninsular, where it tends to be milder all year round - 5c cooler in summer and 3c warmer in winter.

I like Mt. Barker for all the reasons you gave, however I'd recommend living just outside it, as it's turning into a bit of a suburb of Adelaide, there's just too much building going on there at the moment for my liking. There are lots of smaller town and villages around Mt Barker that still have a country feel.

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:58 am
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Living in Adelaide

Originally Posted by sackofspuds

Hmmm, interesting you say that. We are in the closing stages of getting our PR visa approved (just sent over the bond money).

Guess where we're going to? And guess where we live at the moment? Go on, I bet you can!

Saying that, I've been very lucky and managed to sort out a decent job when I get there.

Cheers
Scooterpom (in the sunny south west!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.