Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Livig and teachig in Perth

Livig and teachig in Perth

Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Livig and teachig in Perth

I am a teacher (Head of Faculty for Sport and Health) and currently going through my Headteachers certificate. However, I my wife, 3 kids and I are migrating to Perth next year and would like your views.

Can you recommend a good place to live in Perth? I will probably need to live near good access to public transport, near schools where hopefully supply work is plentiful, good beach and plenty of amenities? Port Kennedy and Rockingham are what looks nice so far? My wife wants to add that she wants a brick house with 4br, 2bathroom, dbl garage, swimming pool etc all for under $400k. Our children will be 5, 3 and 1 when we migrate so good schooling / Kindergarten etc will be very helpful. Also, are there many opportunities for gymnastics, horse riding and good parks (banana slides swings etc) in easy access?
Any advice will be hugely welcome.
Kind regards,
Alan
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all
Default Re: Livig and teachig in Perth

Alan.

Is you 'n' key not working?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Sorry boys and girls. Kids picked off some of my keyboard letters and so I'm having some problems on the touch pad. Thanks seat151 -should have checked! NNNNNNN
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

As has been suggested to you before, perhaps you should concentrate on finding a job before you worry about where to live.

It can be difficult to get a teacher's job, in the state system in an urban area, until you have spent some time in a rural area.

You may be restricted to working in private schools so finding work should be the most important priority.

G
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
I am a teacher (Head of Faculty for Sport and Health) and currently going through my Headteachers certificate. However, I my wife, 3 kids and I are migrating to Perth next year and would like your views.

Can you recommend a good place to live in Perth? I will probably need to live near good access to public transport, near schools where hopefully supply work is plentiful, good beach and plenty of amenities? Port Kennedy and Rockingham are what looks nice so far? My wife wants to add that she wants a brick house with 4br, 2bathroom, dbl garage, swimming pool etc all for under $400k. Our children will be 5, 3 and 1 when we migrate so good schooling / Kindergarten etc will be very helpful. Also, are there many opportunities for gymnastics, horse riding and good parks (banana slides swings etc) in easy access?
Kind regards,
Alan
Depeds whether you're a Eglish or Desig Techology teacher ?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Sport and health
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spartacus
Brilliat
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Very fuy
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:08 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the teaching forum on this site:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

That should be your starting point. First you should find out whether your particular UK teaching qualifications are acceptable for Oz (need minimum of three year degree plus "proper" PGCE). Next, before you can teach anywhere in WA you need to be registered. Not something that will happen in a day or two ...

Then, as Grayling said, it you want to work in the state system you have to work in a rural area first. But you might get a job with a private school in a more central location.

All of the above will limit your choices on where you'll live. Therefore little point thinking about Rockingham or Port Kennedy (none of which are in Perth, by-the-way).

Gina
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seat151
Alan.

Is you 'n' key not working?
What about your 'R' key.?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ok I think. It's my s,d,a, \, spacebar and the ctr bottons that are missing
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree

Kind regards,
Alan
Leaving your work requirement aside , most of your "wants" are available
within the Rockingham city area
Public transport- rail to CBD
Schools any and every
Good beaches , surf and sheltered
The $400k for house and pool may be pushing it ,although houses without
a pool would readily be available at that price (+stamp duty on top)
If comparing suburbs
Warnbro older houses bigger blocks 700 - 1000sq mtr
Port Kennedy newer houses
Baldivis all new av.600mtr sq blocks
Secret Harbour all new
Generally south from Warnbro very little over 20yrs, most in the last 8yrs.

Gymnastics -Warnbro Aqua Jetty
http://www.aquajetty.ymca.org.au/
Horse riding-Amarillo Riding School
-Baldivis Equestrian & Pony Club

Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

wanago is an unknown quantity at this point

lol that is fookig fuy.
what a cut!