British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A little worried! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/little-worried-544630/)

Sonn Jun 23rd 2008 7:08 am

A little worried!

We have had our minds set that we are heading to Perth (first it was Melbourne) but my OH likes the sound of Perth (climate!!).
I have been looking at the job situation there (OH is Bricklayer, I will have Degree in Youth & Commuity Work). There doesnt seem to be that many Bricklayer jobs around Perth (am i looking in the wrong place? seek.com??):confused:
I would happliy go anywhere where the work is, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney???
Advice welcome :unsure:

UK-2-OZ Jun 23rd 2008 7:19 am

Re: A little worried!

Not sure on Perth but there are lots of brickie jobs in Melbourne:thumbsup:

Sonn Jun 23rd 2008 7:23 am

Melbourne is my first choice, Perth is OH first choice!!!! I think i have some persuading to do!:D
Its good to hear there are lots of brickie jobs in Melbourne :thumbsup:

Buzzy--Bee Jun 23rd 2008 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Sonn (Post 6493997)
Melbourne is my first choice, Perth is OH first choice!!!! I think i have some persuading to do!:D
Its good to hear there are lots of brickie jobs in Melbourne :thumbsup:

If your only reason for choosing Perth over Melbourne is climate, I confidently expect to see you posting in a couple of years something about having tried Perth and now wanting to relocate to Melbourne.

Buzzy

Sonn Jun 23rd 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6494094)
If your only reason for choosing Perth over Melbourne is climate, I confidently expect to see you posting in a couple of years something about having tried Perth and now wanting to relocate to Melbourne.

Buzzy

Hmmm...Thats what im thinking too! I think i will definatley get my OH on here to look at the replies.Maybe i will be able to change his mind! ;)

sutty77 Jun 23rd 2008 9:26 am

Hi
My husband a bricklayer too, and were heading for brisbane/gold coast area as that were seems to be alot of building work at the mo.

Anyone any comments on this please reply. All suggestions welcome.

nickyjohnt Jun 23rd 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sonn (Post 6493953)
We have had our minds set that we are heading to Perth (first it was Melbourne) but my OH likes the sound of Perth (climate!!).
I have been looking at the job situation there (OH is Bricklayer, I will have Degree in Youth & Commuity Work). There doesnt seem to be that many Bricklayer jobs around Perth (am i looking in the wrong place? seek.com??):confused:

Yes there is plenty of work for brickies in Perth. The whole place is expanding very rapidly North, South and East, maybe not as fast as a few years ago.
Don't know anything about Melbourne as have never been there and wouldn't feel right making comments on somewhere i have no experience of.
But you can guarantee you there will be plenty of others on this forum about to slag me off for mentioning Perth and actually love living here. :)
The climate is great but not to everyones liking. House's are quite pricey but depends on your budget (cheap for some expensive for others ).
I work in the construction industry and have trouble finding days to take any time off.
Don't dismiss Perth because a few posters have said don't go there.
Check out both places if you can and make your own mind up.
Contary to what is said on here, there are thousands of people who actually like living in Perth and surrounding areas ;)

John

stevensfamily Jun 23rd 2008 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sonn (Post 6493953)

Melbourne:thumbsup:

EvannTel Jun 24th 2008 9:11 am

As you have young kids I would say Perth.
No kids Melbourne.

Me? No kids and WA! Go figure!

brissybound Jun 24th 2008 9:13 am

Perth is an amazing city and is the gateway to quite possibly the most awesome place i have ever been to , 'Coral Bay'.

hantsfamily1 Jun 24th 2008 9:14 am

Melbourne is cold

Buzzy--Bee Jun 24th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1 (Post 6497947)
Melbourne is cold

And thus speaks someone else who has never lived in Melbourne.

Buzzy

Dorothy Jun 24th 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1 (Post 6497947)
Melbourne is cold

Perth was 3 degrees this morning at 7 am. Perth gets cold, too.

Paul & June Jun 24th 2008 10:13 am

I have been all round OZ and stayed some time in each one of it's City's. Melbourne reminds me too much of London. Perth has always been my first choice to live. Great for familes with it's lay back feel, parks, cycle paths etc etc. and imagine, watching the sunset over the Indian Ocean. But I love all about OZ and it's people. So where ever you go, you will enjoy it.

Buzzy--Bee Jun 24th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 6498029)
Perth was 3 degrees this morning at 7 am. Perth gets cold, too.

Yes. Melbourne was a chilly 11 degrees on this midwinter morning at the same time.

Buzzy

Dorothy Jun 24th 2008 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6498109)
Yes. Melbourne was a chilly 11 degrees on this midwinter morning at the same time.

Buzzy

My bloody dog ate a giant hole in my new cable knit sweater, too. I nearly froze to death taking him for a walk at 6 am.

Paul & June Jun 24th 2008 10:35 am

Dorothy, Oz, is your dog called Toto ?

Buzzy--Bee Jun 24th 2008 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Paul & June (Post 6498146)

Don't be silly. Why would anyone name their dog after a 1980s progressive rock band?

:rofl:

Buzzy

Dorothy Jun 24th 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Paul & June (Post 6498146)

His name is Moose in honour of our Canadian heritage.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6498169)
Don't be silly. Why would anyone name their dog after a 1980s progressive rock band? Who sang a song about Africa

:rofl:

Buzzy

I didn't call our dog toto, but I do have a pair of sparkly red CFM shoes.

fnord Jun 24th 2008 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by sutty77 (Post 6494241)
Hi
My husband a bricklayer too, and were heading for brisbane/gold coast area as that were seems to be alot of building work at the mo.

Anyone any comments on this please reply. All suggestions welcome.

Hi,

I've been in the Gold Coast, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney and I vote for the Gold Coast. Melbourne's weather is far too unstable. Compared with London weather london feels beautifully stable. Melbourne can be 40 degrees (and I'm not exagerating) and in 30 minutes can be 18 C . You can be in the beach and be suddenly faced with sand blast (which 2 local teenager girls were very wary of and adviced us against it). I went there in January and It felt very cold in the morning so we couldn't use the swimming pool in the early morning (which I very much like doing). Oh! and the flyes... they are so aggresive.... You really need to carry around: shorts, long trousers, jumper and a jacket in case the weather changes for no reason. I heard Perth can be pretty hot and dry so it depends what you really like. The Gold Coast is beautiful it is hot but you have the breeze from the sea and is not too expensive to live near the beach (like in Sydney where I'll be moving) I really don't understand how some people can be so biased towards Melbourne. Good luck with your decision

Fnord's Wife.

Paul & June Jun 24th 2008 1:18 pm

Don't forget Perth has been renowned to have the most sunshine out of all them. Perth get's flies too thou.

Blossom Jun 25th 2008 4:04 pm

Didn't you know you're not allowed to say that Melbourne gets cold, it offends some people!

hantsfamily1 Jun 26th 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6498023)
And thus speaks someone else who has never lived in Melbourne.

Buzzy

And thus someone who has been there enough times to know that its cold in my opinion.

The Crow Jun 26th 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1 (Post 6505558)
And thus someone who has been there enough times to know that its cold in my opinion.

:lol: How long did you LIVE in Melbourne for? Summers generally range from 28oC-42oC - which is pretty cold for sure :confused:

The Crow Jun 26th 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Blossom (Post 6502802)
Didn't you know you're not allowed to say that Melbourne gets cold, it offends some people!

It doesn't offend - it's just stupid. It's mid-winter and 15oC - yes, that's cold up to some parts of Australia - but hardly freezing. The bonus of having a 'winter' is having skiing (though it hasn't even been cold enough in the alpine regions to produce any snow yet).

MattW82 Jun 26th 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Crow (Post 6505620)
It doesn't offend - it's just stupid. It's mid-winter and 15oC - yes, that's cold up to some parts of Australia - but hardly freezing. The bonus of having a 'winter' is having skiing (though it hasn't even been cold enough in the alpine regions to produce any snow yet).

15 degrees in the middle of winter is exceptionally warm in comparison to the UK. Hell, it's barely warmer than that today and we're now officially in summer! Mid winter we often get days where is doesn't get above 0.

tonychef Jun 26th 2008 3:07 pm

well if i had your choice i would go to melbourne ( fantastic city ) having been to all the cities and stayed them for at least a month, my choice would be

1st melbourne ( very european and great social life )
2nd sydney ( love to visit but still fantastic)
3rd adalaide ( could live there but cold in winter, so is melbourne)
4th brissy ( never thought of living there but still good)
5hth darwin ( just australian, live life to the full but no jobs for me )
6th perth ( MMMMm )

and its not the gateway to coral bay( to expensive and a tourist trap ) which is a 3 day drive , if you go a little further north you will find
exmouth and the cape range national park ( which is paradise )

Blossom Jun 26th 2008 3:12 pm

Yes but don't forget once you have acclimatised yourself to the heat, the winter months do feel cold.

On my return to the UK I didn't feel the cold for a couple of years but now my body has adjusted to the temperatures over here, I now feel cold when everybody else feels freezing.

Thus when living in mid NSW, on my visits to Melbourne the temperature was a lot colder than that I was used to, hence to me I felt freezing cold in Melbourne during mid winter!

breezeboylan Jun 26th 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6494094)

Buzzy

It was our reason for picking Perth and have no regrets at all;) To us the climate was vital in our choice of country/state.
Tracie