British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A little worried! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/little-worried-544630/)

Sonn Jun 23rd 2008 7:08 am

A little worried!

We have had our minds set that we are heading to Perth (first it was Melbourne) but my OH likes the sound of Perth (climate!!).
I have been looking at the job situation there (OH is Bricklayer, I will have Degree in Youth & Commuity Work). There doesnt seem to be that many Bricklayer jobs around Perth (am i looking in the wrong place? seek.com??):confused:
I would happliy go anywhere where the work is, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney???
Advice welcome :unsure:

UK-2-OZ Jun 23rd 2008 7:19 am

Re: A little worried!

Not sure on Perth but there are lots of brickie jobs in Melbourne:thumbsup:

Sonn Jun 23rd 2008 7:23 am

Melbourne is my first choice, Perth is OH first choice!!!! I think i have some persuading to do!:D
Its good to hear there are lots of brickie jobs in Melbourne :thumbsup:

Buzzy--Bee Jun 23rd 2008 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Sonn (Post 6493997)
Melbourne is my first choice, Perth is OH first choice!!!! I think i have some persuading to do!:D
Its good to hear there are lots of brickie jobs in Melbourne :thumbsup:

If your only reason for choosing Perth over Melbourne is climate, I confidently expect to see you posting in a couple of years something about having tried Perth and now wanting to relocate to Melbourne.

Buzzy

Sonn Jun 23rd 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6494094)
If your only reason for choosing Perth over Melbourne is climate, I confidently expect to see you posting in a couple of years something about having tried Perth and now wanting to relocate to Melbourne.

Buzzy

Hmmm...Thats what im thinking too! I think i will definatley get my OH on here to look at the replies.Maybe i will be able to change his mind! ;)

sutty77 Jun 23rd 2008 9:26 am

Hi
My husband a bricklayer too, and were heading for brisbane/gold coast area as that were seems to be alot of building work at the mo.

Anyone any comments on this please reply. All suggestions welcome.

nickyjohnt Jun 23rd 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sonn (Post 6493953)
We have had our minds set that we are heading to Perth (first it was Melbourne) but my OH likes the sound of Perth (climate!!).
I have been looking at the job situation there (OH is Bricklayer, I will have Degree in Youth & Commuity Work). There doesnt seem to be that many Bricklayer jobs around Perth (am i looking in the wrong place? seek.com??):confused:

Yes there is plenty of work for brickies in Perth. The whole place is expanding very rapidly North, South and East, maybe not as fast as a few years ago.
Don't know anything about Melbourne as have never been there and wouldn't feel right making comments on somewhere i have no experience of.
But you can guarantee you there will be plenty of others on this forum about to slag me off for mentioning Perth and actually love living here. :)
The climate is great but not to everyones liking. House's are quite pricey but depends on your budget (cheap for some expensive for others ).
I work in the construction industry and have trouble finding days to take any time off.
Don't dismiss Perth because a few posters have said don't go there.
Check out both places if you can and make your own mind up.
Contary to what is said on here, there are thousands of people who actually like living in Perth and surrounding areas ;)

John

stevensfamily Jun 23rd 2008 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sonn (Post 6493953)

Melbourne:thumbsup:

EvannTel Jun 24th 2008 9:11 am

As you have young kids I would say Perth.
No kids Melbourne.

Me? No kids and WA! Go figure!

brissybound Jun 24th 2008 9:13 am

Perth is an amazing city and is the gateway to quite possibly the most awesome place i have ever been to , 'Coral Bay'.

hantsfamily1 Jun 24th 2008 9:14 am

Melbourne is cold

Buzzy--Bee Jun 24th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1 (Post 6497947)
Melbourne is cold

And thus speaks someone else who has never lived in Melbourne.

Buzzy

Dorothy Jun 24th 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1 (Post 6497947)
Melbourne is cold

Perth was 3 degrees this morning at 7 am. Perth gets cold, too.

Paul & June Jun 24th 2008 10:13 am

I have been all round OZ and stayed some time in each one of it's City's. Melbourne reminds me too much of London. Perth has always been my first choice to live. Great for familes with it's lay back feel, parks, cycle paths etc etc. and imagine, watching the sunset over the Indian Ocean. But I love all about OZ and it's people. So where ever you go, you will enjoy it.

Buzzy--Bee Jun 24th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 6498029)
Perth was 3 degrees this morning at 7 am. Perth gets cold, too.

Yes. Melbourne was a chilly 11 degrees on this midwinter morning at the same time.

Buzzy