Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This Little terror may stop us from Emmigrating

This Little terror may stop us from Emmigrating

Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This Little terror may stop us from Emmigrating

Originally Posted by jayjd12
New rules to most of the International Airlines that fly into Oz, have now banned the transportation of Brachycephalics (small headed dogs to you and I) this includes unfortunately our Family pet.

We are currently looking at flying into New Zealand for 12 weeks, this also negates quarantine of the dog in Oz, and then entering Australia BUT we are not sure how long NZ Airlines are going to continue taking Brachy's, anyone any ideas?

Many regards

Jay and Pet dog
I guess i will leave the old man at home then , as he resembles a Pug ! bless him.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Am i reading this right?
You would honestly not emmigrate if you couldn't take your dog?
I know from my point of view if the dogs could not go then neither would I.
It would be like leaving your kids behind.
Thankfully my 2 jack russels made it and love it here in Aus, they both lost weight in quarantine and sulked for a few days when we picked them up.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Am i reading this right?
You would honestly not emmigrate if you couldn't take your dog?
Correct! I don't have a problem with it, do you?

I am giving up many things to move to Oz including a business, I would not move and leave this family pet behind.

Each to their own.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lizasi
We have a staffie, so just wondering where you found the info on this?
Golden Arrow, Airpets, British Airways and Quantas
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:14 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct! I don't have a problem with it, do you?

I am giving up many things to move to Oz including a business, I would not move and leave this family pet behind.

Each to their own.

You shouldn't emigrate. Absolutely not. If not bringing your dog is enough to stop you, then you need to stay in the UK absolutely. I think this is a great decision.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shiels
Which are the 'some' staffordshire bull terriers??

I would'nt have thought that staffies would be classed as small headed dogs as ours certainly is'nt..........a C x
Hi Shiels, you should be OK, some pedigree staffs (so I was told) have very muscular bodies and powerfull small heads, short noses, depending on this, is whether they allow them to fly.

I was told yesterday that recently some dogs have been turned away from flights.

JAL are currently in talks to stop Brachy's from travelling.

Jay

PS Crossbreeds are OK
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rodders39
We have two staffies, flew out with BA on 30th October and were fine...

IIRC at the time, it's thought that there can be a problem with short nosed dogs; however I think I remember reading somewhere that Japan Airlines will take them though...

HTH
Rodders, JAL are in talks to ban these breeds, which also means, for some, if they do manage to get there dog to Oz(quickly), they might never get them out again.

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubyPearl
OMG !!!

We have a 'British' (English) Bulldog and are in the process of trying to sell the house at the minute. All quotes from pet-shipping companies so far have said that ONLY JAPANESE AIRLINES will ship an English Bullie to OZ.

HAS THIS CHANGES OR IS IT STILL THE CASE - AS YOU SAY - THAT JAPAN AIRLINES ARE STILL OK TO SHIP (that's not me shouting by the way.....just kind of asking for some confirmation from someone in the know !!).

I know that Golden Arrow couldn't ship our 'Betty' because they only use BA...but other than that we haven't approached a shipper for some time 'cause we're waiting to sell the house first. When we did start looking though, all the quotes we got did stipulate that they'd be using Japan Airlines.

If this is due to become some sort of aviation legislation then I'd appreciate knowing where the formal 'party-line' is on this one if anyone can help.

So shitted-off after reading this string !
Ruby this is the Issue, JAL are discussing banning these dogs due to a recent fatality, as stated above if you get in quick (next few weeks????) you will possibly never get them back out again.

Jay
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Ruby this is the Issue, JAL are discussing banning these dogs due to a recent fatality, as stated above if you get in quick (next few weeks????) you will possibly never get them back out again.

Jay
Can't believe it......just rung Airpets - who'd originally quoted for using JAL and they've confirmed that YES...JAL are in the process of stopping taking snub-nosed breeds.

I've got to call back on Monday to speak to the girl who gave me the quote to see what stage the 'ban' is at.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Can't believe it......just rung Airpets - who'd originally quoted for using JAL and they've confirmed that YES...JAL are in the process of stopping taking snub-nosed breeds.

I've got to call back on Monday to speak to the girl who gave me the quote to see what stage the 'ban' is at.
Would that be 'Kathryn'?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Would that be 'Kathryn'?
YIP........is she the one who said the ban was on the way ?

Any idea how long we'd have to get our girl out there?

Is it likely that any other airline will try to cash-in and take this market on? Obviously at an increased cost...................
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light

Good to hear.....we're off to Sydney too. The wife is Aussie so regaining the licence shouldn't be a problem.............

If worst comes to worse we'll have to leave Betty with the outlaws for a while - and then sneak her back in!!!!

Cheers
Hi
Have to agree on the licence. Everybody wants to see it as ID even centrelink. I landed in Oz end of Jan and as an australian who had been gone for so long I couldnt do anything without a bank card and a licence. Couldnt even get a Tax file number without a driving licence and im still trying to sort out a medicare card.

Mark
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

New rules to most of the International Airlines that fly into Oz, have now banned the transportation of Brachycephalics (small headed dogs to you and I) this includes unfortunately our Family pet.

We are currently looking at flying into New Zealand for 12 weeks, this also negates quarantine of the dog in Oz, and then entering Australia BUT we are not sure how long NZ Airlines are going to continue taking Brachy's, anyone any ideas?

Many regards

Jay and Pet dog
JAY,

sorry, I really didn't read the first part your original post too closely.......are you saying that NZ Airlines DO currently fky Brachys into NZ?

Is NZ quaratine also just 30 days (or is it 12 weeks and that's why you're staying there so long?).

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

YIP........is she the one who said the ban was on the way ?

Any idea how long we'd have to get our girl out there?

Is it likely that any other airline will try to cash-in and take this market on? Obviously at an increased cost...................
After a very lengthy chat with various bodies yesterday the verdict was bleak.

Apparently JAL are the only Airline left who will carry these dogs from the UK to Oz, all the others have already banned them. The time period that we have left (until they ban them) is not known, however if you try to pre book the flights and they announce their descision in the meantime, your dog will be unable to travel. That would put you in an awful position.

New Zealand Air will still take these dogs into NZ, where after 12 weeks (no quarantine) you could travel to OZ (again no quarantine in Oz iether) but I have been told NZ Airlines will possibly follow sute if JAL goes ahead with this, possibly leaving your dog stuck in NZ.

I guess the only options are, get there or send the dog fast, leave the dog or dont go

Sorry

Jay
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

After a very lengthy chat with various bodies yesterday the verdict was bleak.

Apparently JAL are the only Airline left who will carry these dogs from the UK to Oz, all the others have already banned them. The time period that we have left (until they ban them) is not known, however if you try to pre book the flights and they announce their descision in the meantime, your dog will be unable to travel. That would put you in an awful position.

New Zealand Air will still take these dogs into NZ, where after 12 weeks (no quarantine) you could travel to OZ (again no quarantine in Oz iether) but I have been told NZ Airlines will possibly follow sute if JAL goes ahead with this, possibly leaving your dog stuck in NZ.

I guess the only options are, get there or send the dog fast, leave the dog or dont go

Sorry

Jay
Jay,

just had a look at the NZ Quarantine website.....looks like it's only 30 days of isolation in NZ (no quarantine as you rightly said) before the dog can move onto OZ. That's not bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.