British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A little question... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/little-question-117926/)

pommiesheila Nov 18th 2002 5:30 am

A little question...

Heard this yesterday (from a Kiwi now in Oz) and thought it was rather apt:

Q: Why are there so many flies in Australia?

A. Because there is so much bullshit!!!

Have now ducked under computer, waiting for the "pro-australia" brigade to have a go...

pommie bastard Nov 18th 2002 6:11 am

Re: A little question...

Originally posted by pommiesheila

Have now ducked under computer, waiting for the "pro-australia" brigade to have a go...

Well I wondered why I had so many around me all day , thanks for clearing that up.

:D :cool: :beer:

dotty Nov 19th 2002 5:45 am

Wait till you encounter real summer, there are these big blow flies, they carry live maggots and if you swot one the maggots blow out all over your house. My sister in law went away for the weekend and her perfectly clean house was crawling with maggots when she came back, seems they had locked a couple of these flies in when they went away. I have had a fly phobia ever since.

Ginny Nov 19th 2002 6:56 am

Originally posted by dotty
Wait till you encounter real summer, there are these big blow flies, they carry live maggots and if you swot one the maggots blow out all over your house. My sister in law went away for the weekend and her perfectly clean house was crawling with maggots when she came back, seems they had locked a couple of these flies in when they went away. I have had a fly phobia ever since.

Thanks Dotty,

My nightmares have just gotten worse! How is it pommieshelia under the computer?

Thanks

Ginny:D

pommiesheila Nov 19th 2002 10:54 am

Originally posted by Ginny
Thanks Dotty,

My nightmares have just gotten worse! How is it pommieshelia under the computer?

Thanks

Ginny:D

Fly free at the moment.... Mind you, the little buggers are tapping at the window screens as I type!

Kath Nov 19th 2002 1:47 pm

Talking of flying pests, I spent the evening cleaning the pool filters and realised I've been attacked by a gang of mosquitos. I've got four bites on my legs leaving raised bumps the size of eggs :eek:

Anyone recommend a repellant?

renth Nov 19th 2002 5:34 pm

If you spray them they spin around on their backs spraying maggots out making a perfect little circle.

Has anyone been put off their dinner yet.

dotty Nov 19th 2002 7:56 pm

Thanks renth, I had one do just that on my coffee table, just before I fainted.

Now for the nasties.

Try this product, I buy three tubes at a time. STINGOSE it really Helps. "To minimise the pain inflamation and itching associated with stings and bites of most insects and plants!! including ants bees wasps mosquitoes sandflies sea lices vines and nettles." Available from most supermarkets and chemists.

Take vinegar to the beach to take the sting out of jelly fish stings.

Aeroguard, smells like something you start a bonfire with but if you spray it all over yourself it can help repel the mosquitoes.

I still have not found a repellant to stop snakes getting in the swimming pool tho, if anybody can help with that one I would be most grateful. One night after a few Vodka Cruisers I found myself swimming with two of them fortunately they were only green tree snakes.

jeannie Nov 20th 2002 5:46 am

Re: A little question...

Originally posted by pommiesheila

One of the many reasons my Sister left Australia were the spiders, she opened the fridge door one day and there it was, looking at her from on top of the salad bowl, she said you could hear her screams all the way to the Sydney bridge, she also said you could hear them scurrying across her hard wood floors as they lay in bed of a night , and with that I came to Canada "lol" :D

dotty Nov 20th 2002 9:19 am

Picture this, washing a bunch of parsley and finding a very alive and well redback spider sitting in the middle of it, yummy.

Ginny Nov 20th 2002 4:39 pm

Picture this, washing a bunch of parsley and finding a very alive and well redback spider sitting in the middle of it, yummy.

Hi there,

Is there anything else I should know about or is everything else just warm and cuddly (And I don't mean the spiders!!!).

Ginny.

PS Pommiesheila, are you still under the table?
:scared:

pommiesheila Nov 20th 2002 8:44 pm

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi there,

Is there anything else I should know about or is everything else just warm and cuddly (And I don't mean the spiders!!!).

Ginny.

PS Pommiesheila, are you still under the table?
:scared:

Hi Ginny,

Had to come out from under the table, as I was sharing the space with an enormous huntsman spider the size of my hand...

springflower Nov 20th 2002 10:13 pm

Hi

You lot are cracking me up :-)

Picture this, last time i visited Aussie my stepdad came home from the vineyeards with a large bag of grapes.. yummy we thought...until i spotted around a dozen medium sized cockroaches on the first bunch i pulled out to eat....aaahhhhh

As for the mozzie bites, how come they eat the ladies more than they do the men...

Keep the laughter coming!

Jan
:D

Sandra Nov 21st 2002 12:31 am

Mozzies don't eat me more than my husband - poor bugger looks like a battlefield after they have got at him. He argues they don't affect me cause of the alcohol I consume - heres to Guinness :beer:

pommiesheila Nov 21st 2002 3:41 am

Originally posted by Sandra
Mozzies don't eat me more than my husband - poor bugger looks like a battlefield after they have got at him. He argues they don't affect me cause of the alcohol I consume - heres to Guinness :beer:

Have to support your alcohol theory - I can sit outside drinking my wine without so much as a nibble!!! (Mind you, maybe I'm too drunk to notice?)