Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A little help please

A little help please

Old May 5th 2006, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice
Default A little help please

Hi all,

this is my first post on here and I'd love some advice about where to start.

I've always dreamt about moving to oz, but never had a decent enough job to be needed before. Well, in September I start my nurse training and I'm now seriosly considering making the move once I'm qualified. I know it takes quite a whle to get organised so I thought I'd ask the experts (who've actually done it or are in the process already).

are there any exhibitions or similar things in the UK that I can take my other half to, to help sway his decision? (he quite likes they idea, but worries about elderly parents)

i have some cousins in melbourne who have invited us to visit them too, would this be a good idea - especially with two kids as well
Old May 5th 2006, 11:38 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little help please

Originally Posted by seashelle33
Hi all,

I've always dreamt about moving to oz, but never had a decent enough job to be needed before. Well, in September I start my nurse training and I'm now seriosly considering making the move once I'm qualified. I know it takes quite a whle to get organised so I thought I'd ask the experts (who've actually done it or are in the process already).

are there any exhibitions or similar things in the UK that I can take my other half to, to help sway his decision? (he quite likes they idea, but worries about elderly parents)
i have some cousins in melbourne who have invited us to visit them too, would this be a good idea - especially with two kids as well
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You surely don't need asking twice!!!!!!!!

Jump on that plane lady.

If we had had the chance to go, relatively cheaply, we would have done. As it is we are nearly at the end of the emigration process and we have never even been to Oz!!!!!!! :scared:

Mad eh? But an adventure is just whats needed.

Good luck with your training and whatever you decide.

xRachx
Old May 6th 2006, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You surely don't need asking twice!!!!!!!!

Jump on that plane lady.

If we had had the chance to go, relatively cheaply, we would have done. As it is we are nearly at the end of the emigration process and we have never even been to Oz!!!!!!! :scared:

Mad eh? But an adventure is just whats needed.

Good luck with your training and whatever you decide.

xRachx

Your so right . We've been here 2 months never been before and loving it.We have no family and only a couple of friends out here and things can be a bit difficult but it is all part of the adventure.We have 2 kids (5 and 8) and they're doing just fine.
Good luck to you both.
Steve
Old May 6th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Welcome - there are many interesting web sites that will give you plenty of info this one included. There is also a publication that you can subscribe to called 'outward bound' I think? This has lots of useful info,

Sarah
Old May 6th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Would highly recommend visiting first before getting serious about living there. We went summer 2004 wife 5 months pregnant and brought along 5 year old son as well. Loved it not exactly what we'd thought it's be and liked Australia not for the reasons we thought we would but for totally different things.
Do lots of research about the area/state you wish to live in and use this site and don't be afraid to ask questions. You have a long long wait before you can apply for a visa you you can do lots of research and have plenty of time for a visit out there to see it first hand (it's not like neighbours and isn't as near to utopia as some would have you believe).
I had to sell the idea big time to my Wife and she's now very positive about wanting to move and we both agree on the reasons for wanting to go.
Good luck with the nurse training (it's a long hard slog) would mainly focus on that for the next 3 years and don;t devote too much on the Australia move as a lot can happen between now and then.
Old May 6th 2006, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Would highly recommend visiting first before getting serious about living there. We went summer 2004 wife 5 months pregnant and brought along 5 year old son as well. Loved it not exactly what we'd thought it's be and liked Australia not for the reasons we thought we would but for totally different things.
Do lots of research about the area/state you wish to live in and use this site and don't be afraid to ask questions. You have a long long wait before you can apply for a visa you you can do lots of research and have plenty of time for a visit out there to see it first hand (it's not like neighbours and isn't as near to utopia as some would have you believe).
I had to sell the idea big time to my Wife and she's now very positive about wanting to move and we both agree on the reasons for wanting to go.
Good luck with the nurse training (it's a long hard slog) would mainly focus on that for the next 3 years and don;t devote too much on the Australia move as a lot can happen between now and then.

You're right its nothing like neighbours , thank god.As for doing reccies or not its an on going argument but my personal opinion you can't get a real feel for somewhere if you are in "holiday mode" . Also Australia is a huge and diverse country so very difficult to pinpoint a place to live without spending some considerable time there (regards work, climate etc).As i said each to his own we treated it as an adventure (also did alot of research) and so far it has turned out fine.
Old May 6th 2006, 7:13 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Jump on a plane come over for a visit - we first made a visit with our daughter aged 5 months. She is now 30 months and having a ball. The big adventure has far outweighed any anxiety she has suffered.

Don't live your life for others, sometimes you need to be selfish and the lifestyle here is much better for children (including husbands if you can get them away from all the TV sport).

Kiwi's wife
Old May 6th 2006, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi Seashelle33,

You have just missed the big migration show at Sandown which is the largest and gets so packed you cannot move.

There are some Oz career opportunities exhibitions on in the south of England between now and October, dates below:

Crawley - May 10-11
Slough - June 7-8
Reading - Sept 6-7
Heathrow - Sept 20-21
Harrow - Oct 17-18

The big migration fairs with all aspects of migration are as follows:

Sandown Park - Oct 6-8th 2006
York - Oct 13 - 15th 2006

Edin - Feb 24- 25th 2007
Sandown - Mar 2 - 4th 2007

Hope this helps, but do try and come over here for a look see first just in case it is not for you but I have no worries that you will not like it here.

Good luck with it all.

Tony
Old May 6th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fox's2oz
Your so right . We've been here 2 months never been before and loving it.We have no family and only a couple of friends out here and things can be a bit difficult but it is all part of the adventure.We have 2 kids (5 and 8) and they're doing just fine.
Good luck to you both.
Steve

What part of Aus are you "loving"? How easy is it to find work? Are there helpfull job centers or is it all "APPLY ONLINE"??
Old May 6th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KAYJAS

What part of Aus are you "loving"? How easy is it to find work? Are there helpfull job centers or is it all "APPLY ONLINE"??

We are in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast.We have been here 2 months but have only been looking for work properly for 3 weeks or so.My partner has got a fulltime job in insurance , but i am still looking (my skills not in much demand so will have to look for something different).Job agencies on the whole have been very helpful as long as they know you have a PR visa.
Old May 6th 2006, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fox's2oz
.My partner has got a fulltime job in insurance .
Did your partner get employment before you arrived in Aus ?
Old May 6th 2006, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KAYJAS
Did your partner get employment before you arrived in Aus ?
No she got the job through an ad in the local paper, and then three different interviews and tests!They only told her she had the job Friday and she starts Monday so making most of weekens.
Old May 7th 2006, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Hi Seashelle33,

You have just missed the big migration show at Sandown which is the largest and gets so packed you cannot move.

There are some Oz career opportunities exhibitions on in the south of England between now and October, dates below:

Crawley - May 10-11
Slough - June 7-8
Reading - Sept 6-7
Heathrow - Sept 20-21
Harrow - Oct 17-18

The big migration fairs with all aspects of migration are as follows:

Sandown Park - Oct 6-8th 2006
York - Oct 13 - 15th 2006

Edin - Feb 24- 25th 2007
Sandown - Mar 2 - 4th 2007

Hope this helps, but do try and come over here for a look see first just in case it is not for you but I have no worries that you will not like it here.

Good luck with it all.

Tony
Thanks Tony and everyone else too. Think I'll be heading for the one at York as I'm up in sunny Yorkshire at the moment ...do these fairs get addictive then? Do you want to go to all of them? I might persuade hubby to visit one of the earlier ones too just to give him a little taste of thing's to come.
Old May 7th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tony and everyone else too. Think I'll be heading for the one at York as I'm up in sunny Yorkshire at the moment ...do these fairs get addictive then? Do you want to go to all of them? I might persuade hubby to visit one of the earlier ones too just to give him a little taste of thing's to come.

Lol,

You just gave me a vision of people going to Migration Fair Anonymous for counciling and getting the shakes if they do not get their fix of fairs.

I would advise you to go to one of the big fairs such as York or Sandown and once you have 10 bags of info from the stands you will not really need or want to go again.