Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A little guidance please re: Melbourne

A little guidance please re: Melbourne

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice
Default A little guidance please re: Melbourne

So, since i registered on here a few months ago its been Melbourne....Perth and now i am back to Melbourne (which is where i have been all along..OH is PERTH).
So i am now trying (my hardest) to get OH thinking about Melbourne again, i have shown him a couple of suburbs which look quite appealing (point cook, essendon, geelong) and explained that Melbourne seems to have more jobs (OH brickie as mentioned in other posts) and he is kind of coming round to the idea.
My OH wants to be near to the beach, so what kind of areas are best? Probably around 30mins max away from the beach would be best .
As we thought we had decided it was definatley Perth i have only really researched WA and gave up looking at VIC. We are not going to be able to do a reccie as we would prefer to have that money with us when we EVENTUALLY get there! So as much advice, help and info would be great
Does anyine know of any books? DVDs? that give this kind of info???
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

MelbourneCityRach will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A little guidance please re: Melbourne

for 30 mins away try the south east. you didn't say anything about family size/lifestyle - but if it's just the two of you elwood, if it's more, or you just want more space, brighton is lovely. you do pay a premium for beach in melbs as it's not as plentiful as in some cities. To pay a little less but still be within 30mins from the CBD, you could try the western bay, williamstown (gorgeous, established, expensive) or altona (coming up, less expensive).

good luck!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sonn
So, since i registered on here a few months ago its been Melbourne....Perth and now i am back to Melbourne (which is where i have been all along..OH is PERTH).
So i am now trying (my hardest) to get OH thinking about Melbourne again, i have shown him a couple of suburbs which look quite appealing (point cook, essendon, geelong) and explained that Melbourne seems to have more jobs (OH brickie as mentioned in other posts) and he is kind of coming round to the idea.
My OH wants to be near to the beach, so what kind of areas are best? Probably around 30mins max away from the beach would be best .
As we thought we had decided it was definatley Perth i have only really researched WA and gave up looking at VIC. We are not going to be able to do a reccie as we would prefer to have that money with us when we EVENTUALLY get there! So as much advice, help and info would be great
have a look at mornington peninsula its about 1 hour SE of melbourne with the beach on your door step.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:53 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robert cowan
have a look at mornington peninsula its about 1 hour SE of melbourne with the beach on your door step.
totally agree that's where I'm heading. spent a month there in mornington over christmas and absolutely loved the place beautiful beaches all down the penninsula with frankston close by which is a decent sized town with good transport links to the city
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Mornington Peninsula is lovely but you could try some of the suburbs in Bayside. It really depends on your budget
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:47 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

a couple of suburbs which look quite appealing (point cook, essendon, geelong) and explained that Melbourne seems to have more jobs (OH brickie as mentioned in other posts) and he is kind of coming round to the idea.
Essendon is lovely, one of my favourite suburbs but it's nowhere near a beach
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

As already mentioned The Mornington Peninsula is popular because of it's beaches. You can get family friendly beaches as well as surf beaches on the Ocean side.

Popular beachside area's seem to be South Frankston, Mt.Eliza, Mornington, Mt.Martha. However, anywhere on the Peninsula isn't far from the sea.

Have you decided what sort of house you are after ie, brand new or older established area? Are schools important etc.?

BTW We had an amazing holiday in Perth and it partly made up our minds to emigrate to Australia, however, for us it wasn't the place to live. I also have friends who lived in Perth loved it at first but got bored with it due to it's isolated position and moved to Melbourne. They love Melbourne. I guess it depends on what rocks your boat though.

Last edited by Caroline G; Jun 24th 2008 at 6:49 am.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Choice will become famous soon enough

South East Suburbs - work for Brickies plentiful as lots of developments going on slightly further inland. And people in the older suburbs are always knocking older houses down and building new ones.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A little guidance please re: Melbourne

You don't need books and DVDs when you've got British Expats!

Here's some photos I took of Melbourne's Bayside beaches. The beaches on the Mornington Peninsula are just as gorgeous.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...allocbeach.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...hroadat7am.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...sinthesand.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...eachsunset.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...eachsunset.jpg[/QUOTE]

Buzzy
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Thanks Buzzy, Your always so helpful
The pictures are lovley

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You don't need books and DVDs when you've got British Expats!

Here's some photos I took of Melbourne's Bayside beaches. The beaches on the Mornington Peninsula are just as gorgeous.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...allocbeach.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...hroadat7am.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...sinthesand.jpg

Buzzy[/QUOTE]