Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Little Englanders

Wikiposts

Little Englanders

Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Pagey, I guess someone should now tell you that what you know as thongs and what Australians know as thongs are quite different. It is quite normal for men to wear black rubber thongs on the beach, around the city, in shops and even at work in some informal workplaces.
Ive heard that black rubber thongs pull the hairs

Now that should really give pagey a great mental image
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:26 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ive heard that black rubber thongs pull the hairs

Now that should really give pagey a great mental image

Getting hot sand chafing in them on the beach can be quite painful too...
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little Englanders

Originally posted by chippy
Do we British integrate into Aus society (when in Rome etc.), or are we all a bunch of little Englanders ? Do we have a choice?

Just wondered what the general consensus was.

Coming back to the start of this thread I do believe the when in Rome tact is the right one to follow.

Why do so many brits want to go to OZ in the first place ?

I suggest the majority are like me and fed up with how UK Ltd is developing into a who's who of tribal segmentation.

It is not a case of mix up the best of all worlds enriching society but more a strong entrenchment tendancy. Won't be too long before the UK gets subdivided into miniscule ethic regions.

Stick em all in the same pot is the way it should be.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Little Englanders

Originally posted by Bix
Coming back to the start of this thread I do believe the when in Rome tact is the right one to follow.

Why do so many brits want to go to OZ in the first place ?

I suggest the majority are like me and fed up with how UK Ltd is developing into a who's who of tribal segmentation.

It is not a case of mix up the best of all worlds enriching society but more a strong entrenchment tendancy. Won't be too long before the UK gets subdivided into miniscule ethic regions.

Stick em all in the same pot is the way it should be.
Aussies complain about the ethnic groups not integrating here. Ethnic integration in the UK does not strike me as a reason to emigrate.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:45 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

OK back to the serious stuff..

I always find it intriguing that high on the list of why people want to leave the UK is something to do with the country going downhill and invariably that this has something to do with immigration (illegal or otherwise). They then choose to migrate to a country which has been built on its immigrant population and, of course, become an immigrant themselves. Perhaps they expect to find a 'better class' of immigrant here or perhaps they believe that Australia remains in some kind of 1950's Commonwealth timewarp
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:52 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

This thread has made me sit back and think. I've just realised, that in the 18 months that I've been here, the only contact I've had with UK folk is through this forum, or emailing mates and family back in the UK.

But then to me it's normal, here. I was brought up out here and coming back was 'coming home'.

As far as integration is concerned, to each his own, IMO. I don't have a problem with 'communities', of whatever nationality / ethnic persuasion.

What gets right up my nose, however, is ethnic groups (of whatever nationality / religious persuasion) which don't only refuse to integrate into the country they've moved to (to get a 'better life'), but actively and aggressively expect the occupants of the country they've just moved to to give them extra privileges, and adopt the newcomers way of life! If their way of life and methods of living their lives are so bloody wonderful, why did they bother leaving their homeland in the first place? So, to take it one step further (and conclude my rant ) if they don't like it the way it is here, (or anywhere else) then they can bugger off back where they came from!!

I'm here, and I'm staying. I may have been born in the UK, but a cat born in a chipshop isn't a chip. I'm an Aussie. Roll on Citizenship!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:55 am

Originally posted by downunderpom
This thread has made me sit back and think. I've just realised, that in the 18 months that I've been here, the only contact I've had with UK folk is through this forum, or emailing mates and family back in the UK.

But then to me it's normal, here. I was brought up out here and coming back was 'coming home'.

As far as integration is concerned, to each his own, IMO. I don't have a problem with 'communities', of whatever nationality / ethnic persuasion.

What gets right up my nose, however, is ethnic groups (of whatever nationality / religious persuasion) which don't only refuse to integrate into the country they've moved to (to get a 'better life'), but actively and aggressively expect the occupants of the country they've just moved to to give them extra privileges, and adopt the newcomers way of life! If their way of life and methods of living their lives are so bloody wonderful, why did they bother leaving their homeland in the first place? So, to take it one step further (and conclude my rant ) if they don't like it the way it is here, (or anywhere else) then they can bugger off back where they came from!!

I'm here, and I'm staying. I may have been born in the UK, but a cat born in a chipshop isn't a chip. I'm an Aussie. Roll on Citizenship!
What special rights are you talking about DUP?

Australia is richer for taking elements of all the immigrant's cultures. Eid, Chinese New year and Greek Xmasses mean people bring in their foods to work and we all learn a bit more about the rest of Australian society. Half this country is of post war immigrant stock.

Last edited by bondipom; Jan 14th 2004 at 11:26 am.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:06 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Stuff the so called "multi-cultural society", lets have a Cosmopolitan one.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:14 pm

Originally posted by Megalania
Stuff the so called "multi-cultural society", lets have a Cosmopolitan one.
I was wondering if that was going to link to the woman's magasine.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:24 pm
Badge

Originally posted by OzTennis
Frankly I would call the person who gets off the plane and is straight into a clone of an Aussie image a phoney (be it shorts, singlet, she'll be right, beer swilling or whatever people think it means).

OzTennis

mate. Does that include me? I was in to all that cos it is
a) practical to own a 4x4 dual cab FOR ME. won't explain why. To do with job opportunities, business, advertising options, keeping my options open.
b) thongs are better for my hot feet
c) I like aussie beer
d) I like showing off my muscles hence the singlet (joke)

I think you do what you do. If I am a aussie stereotype then I was always - hence why I always felt strange in the UK when I was there in 2003. eg I love Rugby League and don't care for soccer. Australia was made for me. Still will be born a pom though.

Badge

Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:27 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
What special rights are you talking about DUP?

Australia is richer for taking elements of all the immigrant's cultures. Eid, Chinese New year and Greek Xmasses mean people bring in their foods to work and we all learn a bit more about the rest of Australian society. Half this country is of post war immigrant stock.
I was wondering where you'd gone - did you get a call just as you started to respond?

Maybe I didn't make my point clear....

I object to people who come to a new country, be it the UK, or Australia, or the States, or Canada, and decide that the people who already live in that country should conform to the newcomers ideas of how to live. Some Arabs, as an example, insist that all women are treated in a certain way, they consider any 'western' female to be a slut, as she doesn't conform to their ideas of modesty. Others want certain types of food or goods available in the shops (not always a bad thing as I like diversity!) Others expect to be paid for sitting on their arses while the taxpayers keep them in what is luxury compared to what they had.... I could go on.

I've lived in several countries, and visited somewhere in the region of 70. With a lot of people, 'When in Rome' only seems to apply to their countries. Example - in Saudi Arabia western women who go out in public showing their shoulders or legs are liable to be stoned. While I don't expect the moslem women to start dressing like the western women, I think that they (and even more so, their menfolk) should realise that just because the new country they're living in is different, doesn't mean that it's 'bad'. If they don't like what they see, and consider their countries / culture so much better, then why did they leave? Why do so many refuse to learn to speak English? My neighbour downstairs at my last place has been living in Oz for over 30 years, has grown up, 'Ozzified' sons, but can only say 'Hello. Good?' in English.

Tirade over!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:29 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
I was wondering if that was going to link to the woman's magasine.
You can check out your sexual health here: Cosmopolitan
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:34 pm

I was wondering if there were any groups getting special rights in Australia?

Is does appear that certain groups bend the ears of immigration ministers no matter the party in power. The level of ear bending seems to be proportion to the donations to the relevant political party.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Moonstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom

If you want my reason for leaving good old blighty then you have just explained 50% it in one!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:09 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Karen Thompson
If you want my reason for leaving good old blighty then you have just explained 50% it in one!!!!
And the other 50%....?

And shouldn't you be in bed, asleep? It's 02:11 in Kent! :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.