Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A little advice please!

A little advice please!

Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:28 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy A little advice please!

hi!
Just wanted a little advice.We are looking to move to Brisbane in March and have been looking around(online)for areas to live and schools.It is so hard to tell what a place is like and how good the schools are.I would be interested to see how other people did things.Is it easy to enrol in a local school once you get there?I have heard that kindergardens have huge waiting lists.Its a bit of a nightmare as our little boy has started nursery here but wont go to prep until the year 2009!i am so worried about unsettling the kids.Please tell me how you all managed!
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little advice please!

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
hi!
Just wanted a little advice.We are looking to move to Brisbane in March and have been looking around(online)for areas to live and schools.It is so hard to tell what a place is like and how good the schools are.I would be interested to see how other people did things.Is it easy to enrol in a local school once you get there?I have heard that kindergardens have huge waiting lists.Its a bit of a nightmare as our little boy has started nursery here but wont go to prep until the year 2009!i am so worried about unsettling the kids.Please tell me how you all managed!
We just drove round areas armed with the mapbook so we knew where we were. We did this for a few days and then arrived in Wellington Point and just knew it was the place for us. Have you any idea which sort of area you want to be in (or need to be in for work etc or if you need to be near a train line) as this might narrow your search.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:26 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: A little advice please!

Originally Posted by mand8002
We just drove round areas armed with the mapbook so we knew where we were. We did this for a few days and then arrived in Wellington Point and just knew it was the place for us. Have you any idea which sort of area you want to be in (or need to be in for work etc or if you need to be near a train line) as this might narrow your search.
I am a nurse and have a job at The Royal Childrens hospital.Apparently it is on the Northside of Brisbane and we have been thinking of living about 20 kms outside of the city.We have done websearchs and like the sound of Brighton and Bracken ridge but really cant tell from here!Our main concern is schools .I think we will have to drive around once we get there to try to get a feel for areas.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

I am a nurse and have a job at The Royal Childrens hospital.Apparently it is on the Northside of Brisbane and we have been thinking of living about 20 kms outside of the city.We have done websearchs and like the sound of Brighton and Bracken ridge but really cant tell from here!Our main concern is schools .I think we will have to drive around once we get there to try to get a feel for areas.
A guide to suburbs www.ourbrisbane.com.au
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by tabby
A guide to suburbs www.ourbrisbane.com.au
Thank you.Our brisbane.com is like my bible!I use it all the time.Is it fairly accurate?I would love to know what you think as you are already there.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:41 pm
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi Mand8002 - do you have kids at junoir school? If so which one did you go for and how easy/quick did you get them in? Wellington Point really appeals to us and I've just received an enrolment pack for Ormiston College but I reckon we've no chance of getting in there - I bet the waiting list is miles long! Any advice?

Jane xx
Old Sep 9th 2006, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.Our brisbane.com is like my bible!I use it all the time.Is it fairly accurate?I would love to know what you think as you are already there.
North Lakes at Mango Hill is lovely it's about 30 mins north of Brisbane, sure it's got it's own website and forum too, try doing a search, we recently went on our reccie and had a good look around. It's got schools too
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheHallidays
Hi Mand8002 - do you have kids at junoir school? If so which one did you go for and how easy/quick did you get them in? Wellington Point really appeals to us and I've just received an enrolment pack for Ormiston College but I reckon we've no chance of getting in there - I bet the waiting list is miles long! Any advice?

Jane xx
Depends on which year your child would need to start prep ??
Our daughter starts prep in Jan 08 when she will be 4 1/2 years old and we join up in June 05........but if you enroll your child in the new daycare they have you get dabs on going into the prep year....

Sorry if you have already said how old you kiddies are as i have not read the rest of the post
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Jane xx
Hi Jane

I have Fiona (11) at junior school and she goes to Wellington Point State School. If you live in the catchment area they have to take you so no problems there. She goes to high school next year and is going to Ormiston College. I didn't think she would get a place but they take another lot of new kids at high school entry, and on the form I put that I couldn't have put her name down any earlier as we weren't here.

Any other info you need just ask.

Amanda
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jane xx

BTW.......We think Wello Point is a great place to live, we could have bought a bigger place in other areas for the same amount but glad we didn't , can honestly say we will not move from this area in foreseeable
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tabby
BTW.......We think Wello Point is a great place to live, we could have bought a bigger place in other areas for the same amount but glad we didn't , can honestly say we will not move from this area in foreseeable
I agree, we love the area too. Just in the process of buying a house and land package so we will be staying!! Couldn't think of anywhere nicer to live.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 1:20 pm
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Sounds fantastic from afar that's for sure! Thanks Mand8002 and Tabby!

I think we will register at Ormiston College and look to getting in asap, but in the meantime try for the catchment area of Wellington Point state school (our daughter is 7).

Need to sell the house here though first!!

Cheers - Jane xx