Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of top 5 types of People that should reconsider migration.

List of top 5 types of People that should reconsider migration.

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List of top 5 types of People that should reconsider migration.

Originally Posted by Stu.E
And just from checking this site you can add -

"Women whose husbands will be at work leaving them at home all day with the kid(s) in some deathly quiet suburb."
Ahem, that's my idea of heaven
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Hey, what about women who leave their husbands at home all day....

Actually thats a plus point!!!!
That's not going to last much longer, ADL. In fact the reverse will happen in 2 months' time. Enjoy while you can! Did I ever mention I may never go back to work once I'm off?!

Mrs JTL aka your wife
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Lol, Actually the abandoned mum, was a major omission of mine, and probably should figure well up in the top five.

Someone mentioned those that value relationships, etc, Good point, although the toys part of the comparision, is debatable. I think there is more pressure to and it's possibly eaiser to own the latest and fastest in the UK.

I beleive that the person likely to migrate with the most angst, would be a 17 year girl, who has a wide social network in the uk, who is basically independant, that gets dragged over here, 'in line with the family majority descision" and chucked in the deep end here.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:11 am
Bit more than Jnr. Member

alneve2oz is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else noticed that (according to this thread) it seems that women will have more trouble than the men.... I wonder why that is. Any thoughts..?

Aj.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:14 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Someone just posted a question that inspired this topic. I thought it could be helpful for people that have been here in Aussie for a while to put forward a list of people they consider may not be happy in the migration process.

1. Young Adult dependant females (15-23) = social reasons.

2. Young Adult dependant Males, at least they can ride bikes, go shooting, and are more likely to enjoy outdoor activity.

3. High earning white collar workers.

4. People hoping a move will fix their Jaded relationship.

5. People that love visiting europe.

A lot of people will probably disagree with the above, However a list like this could help some people ask some more detailed questions.
Just to be the exception that proves the rule, I'm actually more than one of those & I LOVE it in Oz!

(and yes, it is great being aged 15-23! )

Good thread, Ozzieeagle.

Anya.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:19 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Someone just posted a question that inspired this topic. I thought it could be helpful for people that have been here in Aussie for a while to put forward a list of people they consider may not be happy in the migration process.

2. Young Adult dependant Males, at least they can ride bikes, go shooting, and are more likely to enjoy outdoor activity.

A lot of people will probably disagree with the above, However a list like this could help some people ask some more detailed questions.
What about high paid blue collar workers??
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:19 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
What about 'husbands who take the kids to work, and leave the wife on her own all day in some dealthy quiet (=peaceful) suburb'.

How do I apply for that one?

Anya.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:25 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

An excellent list - numbers 1 and 2 make for the saddest people in this situation, but number 3 for some of the most irritating! (Why do so many normally quite sensible British people seem surprised whenever it rains in Sydney? Whatever will they say when (or if) the weather returns to 'normal' and Sydney starts to get its average 46 inches or so of rain a year?)

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
1. People who think that moving half way around the world that somehow their day to day life (eg bills, going to work etc) will be different.

Unless you are Bill Gates etc & don't ever have to work gain, life is basically the same, no matter where you live.

2. Those that think moving half way around the world will fix their problems ie relationship/money problems.

It won't - the underlying reason for the problems eg fighting, spending more than you earn, will still be there.

3. Those that come here & can't understand that it still rains or gets cold.

Said it on another thread & I'll say it again - if you want wall to wall sunshine, move to somewhere like Birdsville or Innaminka, & then see how you like living in the middle of the desert. It rains - build a bridge & get over it .

4. Those that expect Australia (& I mean any facet of Australia) to be like the UK.

Its not. It doesnt have to be. It never will be. Its a different country!!!

5. Those that equate "going overseas" with going to Europe & then say how expensive it is.

Plenty of places you can go overseas from Australia, Europe just happens to be (just about) the furthest place on the planet that you can go, no surprise that its the most expensive. Try somewhere closer like Asia or South Pacific. Similarly those that say they miss "history & culture" . What they miss is white, anglo-saxon, european history & culture. Plenty of history & culture right on the doorstep, they just don't see it.

6. Those that are close to family & friends or have never moved more than 50 miles from where they are born.

These people may have problems with homesickness ( then again, they may not too!).

That's my list, sorry, it's 6 .
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:29 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wargod
What about high paid blue collar workers??
Wash your shirts before you move I'd say....
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:29 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Wash your shirts before you move I'd say....

I best stay at home then
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I best stay at home then
Why, you never wash your shirts? :scared:
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:31 am
Banned

Astro will become famous soon enoughAstro will become famous soon enough

Geez, the English love putting people into little categories, don't they!

1. Wot rot. Depends on personality.

2. Wot Rot. Depends on personality.

3.There are many high earning white collar workers in oz. You will be paid what you're worth. Just because you can't secure a high earning job, doesn't mean someone else won't. I've worked with many well paid professionals in oz, alot who have just moved from London or the like.

4. Escaping a rut can give people a new outlook on life, therefore enhancing their r/ship.

5. Aussies still do visit Europe. We are used to the extra travel times. It only makes people appreciate it more. We also have a very large country to explore - alot of it more beautiful with better cilmate than most parts of Europe.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:35 am
Badge

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Just to be the exception that proves the rule, I'm actually more than one of those & I LOVE it in Oz!

(and yes, it is great being aged 15-23! )

Good thread, Ozzieeagle.

Anya.
LOL. I am No 3 on Eagle's list and also like it here.
Another reason for not moving here:

You are in 40s, achieving almost maximum earnings capacity, with school age kids. You home has increased in value so much, and your UK mortgage is so low, and earning ability comparitively high, that you are on to a good thing. Nothing materially in Australia may ever outweigh the lifestyle gain, especially if, No1, closeness to family is an issue.

The irony is, that in a way, Australia can fix up your life for the better if you are in one or more of these categories...almost the inverse for many of you:

1a) You are in your late 20s, early 30s, no kids, a flat owner/small house owner in the UK but will need a family sized home but can't afford to buy up or start a family as you are already at high capacity. You are in a kind of 'poverty' trap. ie You bought 3-5 years ago, so have a bit of equity, but am not so well off that you have had it easy for longer than you care to remember. As soon as 1 partner drops out to have children, the other has to work even harder or stay working at a stressful level.

See my exception, above. ie too much money could work against you.

1b) You can, in real terms, earn the same, or, more money in Australia:

This is rare, unfortunately.

2) You have good ties with family but am used to traipsing across continents to see them in any case
3) You pick the right place in Australia and thus enjoy a good job, and lifestyle mixture.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Sep 22nd 2005 at 7:37 am.

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

[Astro] 5. Aussies still do visit Europe. We are used to the extra travel times. It only makes people appreciate it more. We also have a very large country to explore - alot of it more beautiful with better cilmate than most parts of Europe.[/QUOTE]

When my husband's (Aussie) family came over for our wedding they had to take a loan out. You sound like you have no idea about the expense of a mortgage and having kids and travelling from Oz to Europe on one wage. It's very very expensive. It's not just the extra travel much the extra expense too. Yes Oz is a large country/continent but very different from Europe in terms of it history, architecture scenery etc. Some people enjoy that element of European travel. It doesn't mean it's better just different. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:46 am
Badge

Originally Posted by pako

When my husband's (Aussie) family came over for our wedding they had to take a loan out. You sound like you have no idea about the expense of a mortgage and having kids and travelling from Oz to Europe on one wage. It's very very expensive. It's not just the extra travel much the extra expense too. Yes Oz is a large country/continent but very different from Europe in terms of it history, architecture scenery etc. Some people enjoy that element of European travel. It doesn't mean it's better just different. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder!
Half of Astro's Point No 5, as you say, is easy to pick holes in for the average family but other points he makes are valid if not applicable to all. As MrsD, and others say, culture does not have to be white, or European.

A lot of people talk about ruts - and Australia not curing them. It depends on whether they are external or internal. An external pressure like lifestlyle can put pressure on a relationship - eventually - and actually, a change can do the better for you. We all move on in our jobs to escape ruts all the time. If moving to Australia does not get you out of a rut but elevates you to new, unthought of heights then so be it.

badge

Last edited by Badge; Sep 22nd 2005 at 7:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.