Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

list of things to do before you go ? Hope this helps

list of things to do before you go ? Hope this helps

Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default list of things to do before you go ? Hope this helps

Sell House
Pay off debts
Sell car
Contact Tax Office (UK)
Get immunised for travel
Sort shipping company
Refs from banks (you will need proof that you are good payers)
Refs from employers
Stop Cable
Stop Council tax
Stop House insurance
Stop Electric, Gas, Water, Phone, Car insurance, Tv Licence, AA etc
Arrange mail to be forwarded to Rental accom here if you are
Change addresses with bank
Book Flights
Close all bank accounts
Proof no claims bonus.all insurances
Convert dosh, open bank account
Get hotmail a/c
Stop car insurance and get rebate
make sure mobile is operative in oz or cancel contract
go to Link shop and buy one-tel pay as you go unlocked mobile with very low call costs £49.95 works in oz they say
Organise ALL the keys you have to the house and doors to give to the new people
Get e-mail addresses for everyone you can (cuts down on postage costs)

My list on top thought of today

Make a budget real one, for rent, living expences, flights, etc, just think of everything you will need and put a value down the side so you will not get caught short.

contact tax office for a rebate if self employed carry out tax return as they will find you. Find out about Ni contributions,

Cancel mobile phone contract - get phone unlocked costs about £10

OPen oZ bank account (HSBC) prior

Register with as many job agenices as possible as I am trying to do a present, Hays and TMP Hudson have Global parts in london I have numbers if anyone wants them.

Be checking housing market and rentals on line

Decide what you will do first travel, or stay in a b& B

Arrange for car rental for first 2 weeks www.rentnewcars.com where by far the cheapest on all the sites I went on.

If you are a tradesman, print off the licence form for your licence, complete and have your qualifications ready in hand luggage to go to the TRA for those going to Queensland here's the link http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/licenceap.../individual.pdf

Leaving do - I say this as send a save the date card to those who live far away - so they can save to come and see you or just letting people know in advance.

For those getting private medical, get a quote and add to budget then apply through Go matilda if Australian Unity and get 3% discount.

Pack you suitcase just before packers come with all the bits you will need when you go - (we are travelling first and leaving in Feb but in our cases will be our clothes,(summer) trade papers, driving licence, all important paperwork, references etc. (in hand luggage. So all winter clothes I have will be giving away.

For those with children be viewing on line and contacting schools to make appointments to meet and look around on arrival.

Fly west and avoid jet lag [:-) and get 32kg allowance each without having to be tied in to the Qantas migration fare. Which can be costly. Find out about what you can put in the hold for free.

Stock up on your favourite shampoo I love Kerastase, so in case of difficulty finding you have some. Same with hair dye if you use the same colour all the time

I'm sure I shall think of more

Last edited by Carrianne; Jun 13th 2003 at 11:22 am.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:22 am
Badge

Get proof of NCB from car insurance company!!

hair dye -

is that to remove all the grey??

judging by the stresses that families go thorugh here!!

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jun 13th 2003 at 11:25 am.

Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Yes Badger don't forget your Grecian 2000 for men covers all grey [:-) takes years off you

Yes got the no claims but get it for everything including home etc.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:33 am
Badge

when I go to the barber I just ask that he cuts the grey ones out.

badgers

xx

Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Just the grey one's mm that's some unusual haircut you have unless your a baldycoot xx
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great list Carrianne,

I will update the list on www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/beforeyougo.php with some of your suggestions.

Not sure its wise to close all bank accounts, always best to keep a credit link in the UK in case you come back.

You suggest hotmail account, peeps might like to consider Yahoo account, my Yahoo account receives no junk mail the spam filters work, unlike hotmail which receives endless junk even with spam filtered, guess its all down to preference. but worth a look.

Chris
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

when I go to the barber I just ask that he cuts the grey ones out
Barber ! ? Whats one of those, anything for the weekend sir?
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:50 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Men, avert your eyes

This is one for the ladies only:

Check with your doctors to see if you are due a smear test. If you are, get it done before you go as it is completely free on the NHS, unlike in Australia.

Mel
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:57 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Carrianne,

You are a natural carer, love to help people. Good on ya.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks chippy you make me blush - well it's better to have a consolidation and know what you need to do to save the stress.

I have just booked my videographer for our leaving party with a mini film of us at beginning to hand out to parents on the day we leave, a nice momneto also doing me a good deal on transferring all my home video's to dvd'd for me. How organised am I I scare myself sometimes
Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

If you've got children don't forget to cancel Family Allowance.

Stock up on regular prescriptions, including the Pill if you use it as you have to pay here.

Redirect mail.

Set up Power of Attourney?

Use any gift tokens/clubcard vouchers etc you've got (still got an M&S and a Waterstones one in my purse!).

Loopy
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:03 pm
Badge

contact lenses?!

i'm not sure if they cost more in Oz - but whilst you've got a stash available to use - its one less thing to worry about finding a optician and then jumping through hoops to do whatever you have to do over there..

its crap being down the beach and er ahem - not quite bein' able to see the 'sights'.

badgers

PS as to hiring a videographer. I'll be lucky to have a few beers at my local with "good riddance you old bugger".

I'll be sneaking out of Heathrow before my mother notices I've gone.

Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the things that we are doing, is having all mail redirected for a year to a friends place, who will then notify us on anything that we forgot, and other documentation that we may need etc. We are going to set that up a month before we go, so everything is in place.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:35 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Oh here's one you forgot and its a biggie:

Buy as much stuff as you possibly can on the plastic the day before you leave, then say "ta ta" everyone.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Tax!

P85.....close your UK tax obligations

just to add to the list

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.