Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa in oz, any chance of getting a mining position????

working holiday visa in oz, any chance of getting a mining position????

Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

tony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nicetony_ynot_1 is just really nice
Default working holiday visa in oz, any chance of getting a mining position????

i really wanna get into the drilling game but its hard in england unless you have experience so i though if i tried to get a position in oz whilst me and the gf are doing the working visa idea it could give me valuable experience?!?!?!? is this at all possible??????
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:49 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: working holiday visa in oz, any chance of getting a mining position????

Its possible for engineers and skilled professionals with degrees and obviously good experience to get minign sector work on WHV's In terms of general labour absolutely no chance. There are thousands of WHV brits and irish coming into the country every week who would love a drillers position. Anyway these jobs go to Aussies anyway.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working holiday visa in oz, any chance of getting a mining position????

Originally Posted by tony_ynot_1
i really wanna get into the drilling game but its hard in england unless you have experience so i though if i tried to get a position in oz whilst me and the gf are doing the working visa idea it could give me valuable experience?!?!?!? is this at all possible??????
Forget about mining but there usually " positions " (general dogs body ) in the water drilling rigs in western NSW / western QLD.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I work in mining and am responsible for drill contractors on site. You can forget drilling itself. To become a driller usually takes several years of orff siding the rig. However, there is plenty of work for off siders at the moment in WA.
However, be aware that exploration rigs are often out bush for weeks at a time - most drillers hate doing less than 3 weeks out one home because they only earn while drilling. The conditions can be harsh living in the bush in summer doing tough physical work. The money is reasonably good and i do know of off siders who have been sponsored by drilling companies to stay in Oz.
Positions are usually advertised in the West Australian news paper on Thursdays and Saturdays
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

achanalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not try some of the drilling companies in the UK to get yourself some experiance! try KJM Drilling and blasting ive heard they are the top ones in Scotland and they get most of the work! there is no way that you will get a job in the mines as a driller or much else without experiance thats just the way it is,why would they they would just get someone from Australia.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_ynot_1
Get a HR licence, white card etc etc etc and a few years experience in the mines & won't be much of an issue.
But as there are quite a few homeless people who've come up to the Pilbara chasing these wonderful mining jobs, I wouldn't hold your breath
From experience they don't take people on WHV unless they have exactly the qualifications they require.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Completly disagree with the last two comments - the RC rig that was here two weeks ago had a brit on a WHV and the AC rig has a guy from NI who was on a WHV but the drill company have agreed to sponsor 457.

Cant comment on north WA. But gold fields drilling companies are desperate for hard working off siders. The only ones that might not be keen are underground drillers simply because the inductions / training wouldnt be worth it.

Forget trying to get in the game in the UK. I have had individual projects running more rigs than the total number of rigs operating in scotland.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I got a job as a drillers offsider on a WHV back in 1988.

Hard work though, not sure I could hack it now I'm 45.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I had a friend who worked as a Drillers mate for about 5 months on a WHV to get his 2nd year, he had no experience as he was only 21 and a plasterer and part time farmer by trade.