Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of items to take in hand luggage and on the plane

List of items to take in hand luggage and on the plane

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default List of items to take in hand luggage and on the plane

Chaps

Does anyone have a list of items that you should take with you and not ship, such as no claims bonus notification etc...?

Just wondered if there was a handy list in one place to avoid going through it again? Thanks

Slip
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: List of items to take in hand luggage and on the plane

Originally Posted by slipshot
Chaps

Does anyone have a list of items that you should take with you and not ship, such as no claims bonus notification etc...?

Just wondered if there was a handy list in one place to avoid going through it again? Thanks

Slip
No I havent but its a great idea!

Plants
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:23 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Chaps

Slip
Not really - just whatever you normally need in the UK for 3 months that you cant buy here. I transported all my documents with me as excess luggage. The laptop had most other important items. Then clothing, essential electronics and valuables!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Chaps

Slip
Your 'adult toy' paraphernalia.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I took all of the paperwork that supported my job such as references from different companies. Most of what I needed was on my laptop. My bank account was already opened so nothing was needed there. The no claims paperwork was not needed, no bank references were needed, you only qualify for a visa card with enough savings or a steady income. If you have ever rented a reference for that would come in handy. Then just the normal birth certificates, drivers license etc.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
I took all of the paperwork that supported my job such as references from different companies. Most of what I needed was on my laptop. My bank account was already opened so nothing was needed there. The no claims paperwork was not needed, no bank references were needed, you only qualify for a visa card with enough savings or a steady income. If you have ever rented a reference for that would come in handy. Then just the normal birth certificates, drivers license etc.
Yep..

Birth Cert,
Marriage Cert,
Driving Licence,
Education Certs,
Insurance Docs,
Something from Inland Revenue with Nat Issurance Number etc,
European Medical Cards (the new E111 cards - they asked for these when signing up for Medicare),
Address/contact details of where you are staying on arrival in Oz
Bank Books
Cheque Books
Bank Statements
Credit Card Statements
Mortgage Statement (if you've not sold your house)
Royal Mail post forwarding letter (you'll need it to complain when stuff stops turning up!)
Details of any medication you take, prescriptions, etc
Family photograph
and a partridge in a pear tree
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:41 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
Your 'adult toy' paraphernalia.
Unless you want our nice lot at the airport customs to start waving them around the baggage hall - saying who's is this? - its hasnt passed quarantine! I'd say rather pack it at the bottom of your 20ft container!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:05 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Noise cancelling headphones...

essential for any long-haul flight!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

I totally agree with Red_V_Roger bring ALL of your paperwork with you and if you have time, scan it all onto disk or a USB stick and bring this too. If any of your luggage goes missing, you can still begin the relocation process such as applying for jobs & enrolling the kids in school by providing documents and copies printed from you USB stick at internet cafes or libraries. I would also suggest putting anything small and sentimental or expensive such as jewellery in your hand luggage so it is with you all the time.

Also get your UK estate agent to write a reference for you saying what a well maintained clean & tidy house you had even if you owned it. It works wonders when applying for a rental property.

Customs sometimes ask where you will be spending your first night in Australia. It may be handy to have this written down & kept with your passport as you are bound to forget the add or phone number after a 30 hour long haul.

Don't forget your sense of humour too! It's a long journey.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

We brought pretty much all the documents mentioned here with us- no one ever asked to see any of them except our ID documents (passport, drivers license).

I'd take a supply of any medication you need for at least a month- the first few weeks will be crazy and you don't want to be having to take time out to see a doc.