IT links & Info

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT links & Info

How about IT positions within a manufacturing environment - Steel Works etc.. Are there specific areas of Melbourne we should be looking at, as they would probably not be City based jobs?

Kinda hoping Geelong could be an option.....
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:55 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr-vmware
thanks datamile.. I am hoping to vist sydney in few weeks to have a look around.. do you know what's the best way/means to travel to gold coast and back to sydney? I have a friend who lives in gold coast that I wanted to see.
ta. Mo
Drive about 11 hours

Bus. Not sure about

Train. Was $77 each way Sydney->Brisbane

Fly. Virgin Blue.. Some promo flights available at $49 each way. Might be best to wait until after school hols ( 29th Jan In qld )
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

mr-vmware is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by datamile
Drive about 11 hours
Bus. Not sure about
Train. Was $77 each way Sydney->Brisbane
Fly. Virgin Blue.. Some promo flights available at $49 each way. Might be best to wait until after school hols ( 29th Jan In qld )
Datamiles, ta, sounds great as I was planning for end of Jan for about 2 weeks.thanks. just added you as buddy

And Sandy, did it snow in N yorkshire today.. us lot were just listening to the empty forecasts for local london/essex ( I even had my tyre-sock in the car with me just in case) but no signs of snow as yet..
rgds, Mo
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr-vmware
Datamiles, ta, sounds great as I was planning for end of Jan for about 2 weeks.thanks. just added you as buddy

And Sandy, did it snow in N yorkshire today.. us lot were just listening to the empty forecasts for local london/essex ( I even had my tyre-sock in the car with me just in case) but no signs of snow as yet..
rgds, Mo

Sure did!

see attached...
Attached Thumbnails IT links & Info-dsc03810.jpg   IT links & Info-dsc03814.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:01 am
Just Joined

mr-vmware is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandy, hmm we may be off the track here from the subject but thats wicked !! nice, lets see if we get any
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

It's not looking promising according to the Met Office website! Sorry!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Nice pics!

I notice both Monash and Whitehorse make reference to technology parks. Are these possible alternatives for jobs in IT or are they still being established?

From the Whitehorse website:

The City is also home to the largest high technology precinct in eastern Melbourne, placing it at the cutting edge of the telecommunications, multi media and information technology industry. The City of Whitehorse covers an area of 64.3 square kilometres and has a resident population of approximately 145,000 people.
WithIce x
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Monash is a University technology park. I have a friend who works there - I'll ask him.

Buzzy
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Bosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant futureBosola has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone, Don't mean to hijack but to save opening another thread when this ones already here -

My wife has suddenly got the migration bug, after discussing it a couple of times a year for the last 10 years...

I'm an Aussie citizen by descent (never been there yet) and with 5 children there'll be 7 of us in all coming over, definitely this year and hopefully by june / july time. For reasons I couldn't begin to put my finger on we've decided on Brisbane. Hearing the talk in this thread I was wondering if it is going to be that easy to get a job in Brissie, particularly one that will pay enough to support us all. We won't be bringing a great deal of money so will still need a mortgage (assuming we can afford to buy a house).

I'm what in the UK is generally called a systems engineer, specializing in Wintel / MS systems - server and desktop infrastructure design, installation and support. I have a BSc in IT, Microsoft certs up the wazoo (23 at the moment) and about 9 years experience in all. I've been going over the various job sites but imho they never give a true representation of the job market. Would I have much trouble picking up a job in Brisbane do you think?

We have our hearts set on Brissie at the moment and it would be shame (for us anyway) to have to look towards Melbourne or Sydney etc unless it became obvious Brisbane simply wouldn't be viable. Note that financially we're not looking for a UK contractors lifestyle (got that already and will be glad to leave it behind), but also don't want to spend every month worrying about bills etc....

Thanks in advance.....
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

If you moved to Melbourne you wouldn't regret it we chose Melbourne over Brisbane for all sorts of reasons, the double wages and tons more jobs were only a small a part of it!

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by WithIce
Nice pics!

I notice both Monash and Whitehorse make reference to technology parks. Are these possible alternatives for jobs in IT or are they still being established?

WithIce x
OK I've asked my friend who works at Monash University technology Park and he says they are currently recruiting. He's a developer.

PM him - username is Mr Dirk Diggler.

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Hi Bosola ... I'm currently contracting in Brissie ... if you would like some info on rates availability etc PM me with you email address and I'll get back to you ...

Cheers ... David
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

i guys. Thought I'd get in on this thread for some advice. I'm currently working in the UK as an IT PM running small off host development projects involving external supplier engagement etc. I have about 1yr exp of this (5yrs IT exp in total) all in big finance house/banks etc. My girlfriend is australian and currently there studying for 1yr to qualify as a primary school teacher. We met in the UK when she was here on a Working Holiday visa which ran out. She's since been back to visit and is investigating working in the UK however its proving diffficult as she has no UK ties i.e. all grandparents born in australia - also not easy to get into primary teaching here as its oversubscribed. I'd like to try oz so i applied for a working holiday visa there which i have as a fallback. I can enter up until Oct this year to activate it. I thought about emigrating but seems like such a hassle to ask work for references (i.e. tell them you are thinking of leaving) but have to wait another year for the visa. Therefore thought i might enter on WH visa for 1yr then maybe get prospective marriage visa over there etc not sure. Any advice?

1. Would i get work over there? By the way it's Sydney i'd be headed to. Would a WH visa make it harder to get work or the fact i have a TRN be all a contract agency/employer care about?

2. Is this the best route to staying longer term etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
i guys. Thought I'd get in on this thread for some advice. I'm currently working in the UK as an IT PM running small off host development projects involving external supplier engagement etc. I have about 1yr exp of this (5yrs IT exp in total) all in big finance house/banks etc. My girlfriend is australian and currently there studying for 1yr to qualify as a primary school teacher. We met in the UK when she was here on a Working Holiday visa which ran out. She's since been back to visit and is investigating working in the UK however its proving diffficult as she has no UK ties i.e. all grandparents born in australia - also not easy to get into primary teaching here as its oversubscribed. I'd like to try oz so i applied for a working holiday visa there which i have as a fallback. I can enter up until Oct this year to activate it. I thought about emigrating but seems like such a hassle to ask work for references (i.e. tell them you are thinking of leaving) but have to wait another year for the visa. Therefore thought i might enter on WH visa for 1yr then maybe get prospective marriage visa over there etc not sure. Any advice?

1. Would i get work over there? By the way it's Sydney i'd be headed to. Would a WH visa make it harder to get work or the fact i have a TRN be all a contract agency/employer care about?

2. Is this the best route to staying longer term etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
How long have you been living with your girlfriend? If you can document 1 year plus then I believe you can get a de facto spouse visa which takes a lot less time to process than a year.

Buzzy
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

The longest we've lived together is 4 months and that was about a year ago now.

Anybody been over on teh WH visa and found work hard to come by because of it?