British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   IT links & Info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/links-info-502292/)

WithIce Dec 29th 2007 10:58 pm

IT links & Info

Just at the start of our search so just looking for some general info about getting a job in IT (senior programmer) in Oz.

So does anyone have any useful links bookmarked about companies, salary ranges, jobs etc?

The OH will be looking in Melbourne in particular but really we just want to get a feel for what's out there, whether its easy to get a job and how much they can pay.

Also as a migrant would he expect to start off on a lower salary?

WithIce x

dave99 Dec 30th 2007 12:21 am

Re: IT links & Info

your first resource should be seek.com.au

Johnsyweb Dec 30th 2007 1:42 am

Originally Posted by WithIce (Post 5717387)
Just at the start of our search so just looking for some general info about getting a job in IT (senior programmer) in Oz.

So does anyone have any useful links bookmarked about companies, salary ranges, jobs etc?

The OH will be looking in Melbourne in particular but really we just want to get a feel for what's out there, whether its easy to get a job and how much they can pay.

Also as a migrant would he expect to start off on a lower salary?

WithIce x

Hello, again,

As Dave has mentioned below, Seek is probably the best place to start looking. I'm also a senior software engineer and can recommend a couple of excellent recruiters over here. I'll not post their contact details on the forum for obvious reasons, but feel free to drop me a line if your other half is interested.

When I came to Melbourne at the beginning of 2005, I took a slight pay cut from what I was earning back in Surrey, nothing significant. These days I'm on a bit more than I was i the UK. I don't know how salaries compare between Australia and New Zealand, though.

Hope this helps;

--paj

muffinoz Dec 30th 2007 2:38 am

Hiya ... as others have said seek.com.au is probably the best but also try

jobserve.com.au

it2.com.au

careerone.com.au

I'm an IT contractor but more on the commercial side ... Service Management, Outsourcing, Business Change etc... there are quite a few jobs ... however you will find the same job with several agencies, particularly if it's public sector.

Re rates ... currently I'm contracting in Brisbane CBD and am earning a bit more per day in AU$$ than I was in the UK in pounds 2/3 years ago ... however as I live just outside Brisbane it suits me.

I was contracting in Sydney before that at about a 30/40% better daily rate than Brisbane ... In general Melbourne rates are a bit less than Sydney

Lastly ... would you expect less as a migrant ... no ... but until you are an Aussie citizen there are certain Gov't depts who will not employ you (even as a contractor)

Hope that helps ... David

WithIce Dec 30th 2007 7:37 am

Thanks everyone, I'll get the OH to take a look.

WithIce x

WithIce Jan 2nd 2008 5:15 am

How much holiday do you tend to get when working in IT and is this something you build up as you go along?

Also is there a typical working day/hours per week?

For those who have worked in IT in the UK or NZ, is there anything different about working culture in IT in Oz?

Thanks

WithIce x

Buzzy--Bee Jan 2nd 2008 6:37 am

Originally Posted by WithIce (Post 5728070)
How much holiday do you tend to get when working in IT and is this something you build up as you go along?

Also is there a typical working day/hours per week?

For those who have worked in IT in the UK or NZ, is there anything different about working culture in IT in Oz?

Thanks

WithIce x

I work as an IT Project Manager in Melbourne. Many companies seem to only take people on as contractors and then make them permanent once they have proved themselves. Hence you get as much holiday as you want, but you don't get paid for it. The standard holiday allowance seems to be 4 weeks + 10 days paid sick which if you're not sick, it's pretty much expected you take them anyway.

Your salary as an immigrant should be no different than a similarly skilled Australian unless your job benefits from specific local knowledge. Many IT companies in Melbourne view overseas experience as a good thing.

The salaries in Melbourne are roughly double those in NZ, and the hours are considerably shorter it would seem.

Buzzy

WithIce Jan 3rd 2008 12:38 am

Thanks Buzzy Bee, its interesting they prefer to hire you as a contractor first, is that because permanents get a lot of extra benefits?

Are Melbourne IT salaries really double NZ?! That seems a big difference!

Are there any areas, other than the CBD, where there are IT companies? Any technology parks or any majot companies located outside of the CBD area?

WithIce x

Buzzy--Bee Jan 3rd 2008 12:53 am

Most IT jobs are either in the city or in St Kilda Road, which extends about 5ks out from the city toward the beach. I would say 90% are in these 2 areas.

Yes, Melbourne IT salaries are really double NZ salaries.

The reason why many companies hire as a contractor first is because it is easier and quicker for them to fill contract roles, also I presume it is easier to dispose of you if you don't perform! But once you have proved yourself and fitted in to the culture of the company they will be falling over themselves to offer a permanent position to avoid you going to a competitor with all the experience you have gained from them.

The exception to this might be if they employ a contractor for a specific project with a fixed term.

The IT and comms industries here are struggling to fill skilled positions. It is a very buoyant market and if you have a good CV and good experience you should be able to pick and choose your job. I had 3 interviews in my first week in Melbourne, all of which I had set up from the UK.

Buzzy

datamile Jan 3rd 2008 1:41 am

You can struggle due to the different cv formats, and the way of applications are made.

For example, one role I went for required a 7 page response document to the requirements of the role showing past experience and knowledge of each item.

You might also suffer from no OZ experience until you've got your first job, and agents who don't respond. You really have to call and chase up everything.

I'm on my first 3 month contract, after not getting the interview for the same perm position, 2 months in, and the PM is asking me to apply for his perm roles.

WithIce Jan 3rd 2008 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5731862)
The IT and comms industries here are struggling to fill skilled positions. It is a very buoyant market and if you have a good CV and good experience you should be able to pick and choose your job. I had 3 interviews in my first week in Melbourne, all of which I had set up from the UK.

Buzzy

The OH has a lot of IT experience and currently occupies a senior developer role in NZ, so it all sounds really positive.

posted by datamile

You can struggle due to the different cv formats, and the way of applications are made.

For example, one role I went for required a 7 page response document to the requirements of the role showing past experience and knowledge of each item.

You might also suffer from no OZ experience until you've got your first job, and agents who don't respond. You really have to call and chase up everything.
It sounds like the CV requirements are similar to NZ ones, although I think we'll see if we can find any sample OZ CVs just to be sure.

I wonder if NZ experience counts more than UK experience (he has both)?

WithIce x

Buzzy--Bee Jan 3rd 2008 4:25 am

Datamile is in Brisbane, I'm in Melbourne. I'm sure there are lots of good lifestyle reasons to live in either place, but Melbourne definitely has more IT jobs, many financial organisations and IT companies have HQs or large offices here. Also the salaries are normally higher in Melbourne. It is a "bigger city" employment environment.

Buzzy

mr-vmware Jan 3rd 2008 10:17 pm

Hi guys, nice thread this one, does anyone have any information on IT market in NSW Sydney?

regards,
Mo

datamile Jan 3rd 2008 10:37 pm

Yup, Brisbane Market is pretty small, and I think employers do look for local firm names on your CV as everyone knows everyone. Lifestyle balance for me as if I wanted to continue my line of work, I'd be in Sydney working for an investment bank.

mr-vmware Jan 3rd 2008 10:45 pm

thanks datamile.. I am hoping to vist sydney in few weeks to have a look around.. do you know what's the best way/means to travel to gold coast and back to sydney? I have a friend who lives in gold coast that I wanted to see.
ta. Mo