Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Linesmen Ex-pats in OZ

Linesmen Ex-pats in OZ

Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:04 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Linesmen Ex-pats in OZ

Hi, I'm after info on working as a linesman in OZ what are the general differences to doing the job in the UK. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I've a job offer to work for Energex in Brisbane. Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:42 am

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Linesmen Ex-pats in OZ

Originally Posted by Ben1
Hi, I'm after info on working as a linesman in OZ what are the general differences to doing the job in the UK. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I've a job offer to work for Energex in Brisbane. Thanks

Hi
My fella has just started work with Energex last week in Transmission in Brisbane, your welcome to PM if you have any questions
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:24 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Funny...you said Linesman and I thought you meant referees assistant
R
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:13 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mandy&Stu
Hi
My fella has just started work with Energex last week in Transmission in Brisbane, your welcome to PM if you have any questions
Thanks Mandy & Stu,
At the moment I'm waiting to finish my training to be Authorised to switch on the HV network in the UK, I hope to have this under my belt by the end of January 06, I have been working for various contractors in the UK as a Woodpole Linesman for 15 years Authorised for LV work up to hopefully HV switching in January.
How are Energex treating you I believe they are a good company (hope so) from people that I've talked to. My main reason for leaving the UK to work in OZ is that I'm sick of all the uncertainty at the end of two - three year contracts.
Did you travel from anywhere or are you born and bred Ozzy? Can't wait for the move, just hope everything works out as we have yet to sell the house! Anyway I'll let you get back to the BBQ. Any info on Energex or moving to OZ would be greatly received.
G'day
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:26 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Funny...you said Linesman and I thought you meant referees assistant
R
Snap, so did I
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Snap, so did I
so did I until my fella explained (in very great detial his job )
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:43 pm

Smile Re: Linesmen Ex-pats in OZ

Thanks Mandy & Stu,
At the moment I'm waiting to finish my training to be Authorised to switch on the HV network in the UK, I hope to have this under my belt by the end of January 06, I have been working for various contractors in the UK as a Woodpole Linesman for 15 years Authorised for LV work up to hopefully HV switching in January.
How are Energex treating you I believe they are a good company (hope so) from people that I've talked to. My main reason for leaving the UK to work in OZ is that I'm sick of all the uncertainty at the end of two - three year contracts.
Did you travel from anywhere or are you born and bred Ozzy? Can't wait for the move, just hope everything works out as we have yet to sell the house! Anyway I'll let you get back to the BBQ. Any info on Energex or moving to OZ would be greatly received.
G'day
Hi Ben

Stu's at work so I will answer best I can - firstly Energex have been brilliant with everything - helping with visa's and now with residency, when we first arrived they picked us up from the airport then took us for lunch (can just remember feeling knackered ) then they took us to some holiday apartments in Redcliffe and they pay for the 1st 4 weeks - Stu didnt start work for the first two weeks because we wanted to get a rented house set up and had to buy furniture etc - Energex drove us to a car rental (nice discount package etc) we even got a lovely invite for drinks at one of his boss's house - they have been very helpful - any questions you can always rely on them to answer.

Stu is in a 3 week training course now (think everyone has too) so he's dying to get out and work.

He's met a few lads and they are all really sound. As you can see we are not Oz born and Bred - we came over here about a 4 weeks ago - from Manchester. Have they told you were you will be based in Brissy yet ? Are you a family etc ?

I would say go for it - we would have been here in April last year but had to wait for the house to sell.

Anyway, any more questions feel free to ask

Mandy x Stu
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:32 pm
Ben&Jill

Hi Ben

Stu's at work so I will answer best I can - firstly Energex have been brilliant with everything - helping with visa's and now with residency, when we first arrived they picked us up from the airport then took us for lunch (can just remember feeling knackered ) then they took us to some holiday apartments in Redcliffe and they pay for the 1st 4 weeks - Stu didnt start work for the first two weeks because we wanted to get a rented house set up and had to buy furniture etc - Energex drove us to a car rental (nice discount package etc) we even got a lovely invite for drinks at one of his boss's house - they have been very helpful - any questions you can always rely on them to answer.

Stu is in a 3 week training course now (think everyone has too) so he's dying to get out and work.

He's met a few lads and they are all really sound. As you can see we are not Oz born and Bred - we came over here about a 4 weeks ago - from Manchester. Have they told you were you will be based in Brissy yet ? Are you a family etc ?

I would say go for it - we would have been here in April last year but had to wait for the house to sell.

Anyway, any more questions feel free to ask

Mandy x Stu
G'day Mandy & Stu
That sounds great,we have two children, Faye 9 & Jake 7 so its not going to be too bad uprooting them because they are still quite young. Unfortunately we have a dog that may or may not be coming with us.
Kathryn Black has informed me that I'll be working in the Brisbane metropolitan area, I have asked to be placed in the Southport depot but no real answer on that at the moment, as with you we are having difficulty in selling our house. As I said I finish my course in January so fingers crossed everything will come together around then. It is a big challenge but we are really up for it, as we said we just hope that it all comes together in Jan
How are you finding the heat/humidity?
Who did Stu work for in Manchester?
All the best Jill & Ben
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:49 am

G'day Mandy & Stu
That sounds great,we have two children, Faye 9 & Jake 7 so its not going to be too bad uprooting them because they are still quite young. Unfortunately we have a dog that may or may not be coming with us.
Kathryn Black has informed me that I'll be working in the Brisbane metropolitan area, I have asked to be placed in the Southport depot but no real answer on that at the moment, as with you we are having difficulty in selling our house. As I said I finish my course in January so fingers crossed everything will come together around then. It is a big challenge but we are really up for it, as we said we just hope that it all comes together in Jan
How are you finding the heat/humidity?
Who did Stu work for in Manchester?
All the best Jill & Ben
Hi Ben,
I,ve just started with energex as a transmission cable jointer and am at there training school at the mo which is really boring as its all safety rules and all that stuff but they train us to do all our own HV switching as they dont have engineers like in the UK. They have been really welcoming and friendly and all the aussie guys I've met have been friendly and a laugh, bit of banter about poms but all in good fun. (they dont want to talk about cricket for some reason )

The heat is a bit of a shock especially when your working in it but its not unbearable and they supply all sunscreen, clothing, hats, sunnies, waterflasks and maps.

So when do you think you'll be coming over?
Speak soon
Stu
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:30 pm
Ben&Jill

Hi Ben,
I,ve just started with energex as a transmission cable jointer and am at there training school at the mo which is really boring as its all safety rules and all that stuff but they train us to do all our own HV switching as they dont have engineers like in the UK. They have been really welcoming and friendly and all the aussie guys I've met have been friendly and a laugh, bit of banter about poms but all in good fun. (they dont want to talk about cricket for some reason )

The heat is a bit of a shock especially when your working in it but its not unbearable and they supply all sunscreen, clothing, hats, sunnies, waterflasks and maps.

Speak soon
Stu
Hi Stu,
Soon as we sell the house. nice to know the Ozzy's are up for a laugh.
where do you want to settle down? talking to people they reckon the gold coast is the place to be?
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:28 pm
Ben&Jill

Hi Ben,

Speak soon
Stu

Hi Stu & Mandy
Hows it going I've not had the time recently to sit and dabble on this site just wondered how you were finding the work and conditions with energex at the moment do you get your fair share of overtime & standby?
We hope to be over in September maybe sooner if the house sale go's OK
hope your finding it alright
Ben&Jill
Old Jul 1st 2006, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Jaybee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stu & Mandy
Hows it going I've not had the time recently to sit and dabble on this site just wondered how you were finding the work and conditions with energex at the moment do you get your fair share of overtime & standby?
We hope to be over in September maybe sooner if the house sale go's OK
hope your finding it alright
Ben&Jill
Hi Ben , my name is Jonny and i've been working for Energex for almost a year now as a transmission linesman on 132kv and 110kv.I found this site like you when we were deciding to come here.I came here with my wife and two children.So far we have had no regrets.The hardest thing that you should not under estimate if you have kids is your family network.It makes you realise how easy it is to leave the kids with your parents while you go out for the night.On the work side everything has been fine.I have heard stories of Brits who have gone home after only staying a few months.You have to be both really up for it and willing to give it your best shot.Summer is hard but you can get through it ok.Let me know if you need any advise.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:51 am
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by Jaybee
Hi Ben , my name is Jonny and i've been working for Energex for almost a year now as a transmission linesman on 132kv and 110kv.I found this site like you when we were deciding to come here.I came here with my wife and two children.So far we have had no regrets.The hardest thing that you should not under estimate if you have kids is your family network.It makes you realise how easy it is to leave the kids with your parents while you go out for the night.On the work side everything has been fine.I have heard stories of Brits who have gone home after only staying a few months.You have to be both really up for it and willing to give it your best shot.Summer is hard but you can get through it ok.Let me know if you need any advise.
Hi Jonny
nice to hear from some one working in the same trade over there, like you say family is a big thing but there again we don't really go out without the kids but I know it is nice to have a night once in a while so it shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system We have said that we are going to give it two -three years come what may and then make up our minds if they haven't been made up already On the work front I'm more of a LV up to 11kV Linesman although I have worked on 132kV & 33kV the money that I've been quoted as basic is quite a lot less than what I'm on at the moment which is a bit daunting I know its how long is a piece of string but are you able to earn overtime to make up the money?
Cheers
Ben&Jill
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:10 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jonny
nice to hear from some one working in the same trade over there, like you say family is a big thing but there again we don't really go out without the kids but I know it is nice to have a night once in a while so it shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system We have said that we are going to give it two -three years come what may and then make up our minds if they haven't been made up already On the work front I'm more of a LV up to 11kV Linesman although I have worked on 132kV & 33kV the money that I've been quoted as basic is quite a lot less than what I'm on at the moment which is a bit daunting I know its how long is a piece of string but are you able to earn overtime to make up the money?
Cheers
Ben&Jill

G'day Ben, I work with a company that deals with oil in the transformers. I'm often in switch yards, power stations and substations. And I talk to a few people in these places and a few are linesmen and they get paid very well. I would be sending emails to recruiting departments in the power companies. As I here there is a shortage of linesmen through NSW and Queensland.

ZX....
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Jaybee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ben I have sent you an instant message, regards Jonny